Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 14-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
LivingInHudor

Default Not P.Altum but my Humble Peruvian 'Altum'

Hi people,

Sorry to disappoint you without showing any photos of P.Altum here even though it is the Altum season now. But i hope my humble little peruvian scalares can interest you as well.

Here are some details of my Peruvian origins:
Their scientific name is called Pterophyllum scalare, this species are commonly sold as the name : Peruvian Altum because of their Altum-like shape ( example: high fins and shape nose, long body ), but still lack of many distinctive features like wide brown bands etc. Normally real altum are imported from Colombia, so my Peruvian are definitely not altum as i was told by the LFS that they imported are from Rio Nanay, just outside Amazonian Peru.

I was also told that they are wild caught, but of course is hard to differential whether they are really domestic breed or birth from wild or is it a F1 breed. But it really doesn't matter to me as their appearance and behaviors are what that truly interest me. After a month of keeping them, i find them really interesting and their colouration are changing more rapidly then some other angels when they grow. I was happy about the result and really want to go further into this hobby. I find great physical beauty potential in them =) Will transfer them to a larger tank and prepare for breeding when they grow into adult stage.

I guess enough introduction of them. Here are some pictures of their development, below:

1st Week:

They looked kind of blur and not sure whose tank they are dwelling in! Ha Ha! Colours of stripes are fade, not so intense but remain healthy. Initially have clamped fins in some of them, but recover and become stable in just 1 to 2 days time. Eating consistently and exploring the tank with adventurous spirits. Sometimes will be afraid when stranger go too near and they will flash away.

From these pictures, you can tell they are really good schooling angels which seldom seen in large fishes except small tetras. Most of the time, they will explore the tank together with the other team members. Pecking order is not observed yet.

2nd Week - 3rd Week:

After about 2 weeks, you can see that their colours on their bodies ( except the stripes) are getting more variation. Some yellow-orange patches are observed near the top fins of their bodies and also some at the bottom part. Their base colour on the bodies are generally more pinkish. They recovered from the clamping and show really high finnage although not as high as those real altum but is amazing to see them flare their beautiful fins together with those unique markings of the body. During the first week, some of them have eyes that are black, but now their eyes colour started to change to orange - red. I guess this could be due to the genes passed from the wild. As they get darker in their stripes, you can see a triangle shaped bands near the top fins in between the other 2 thick band on the center of the body. Their fins show a few different colours like black, red, orange, yellow and some brown dot spots.

Old 14-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #2
aroilike!

thumbs up dude!! nice fishes and pictures!

how big is the tank btw?
Old 14-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
LivingInHudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroilike! View Post
thumbs up dude!! nice fishes and pictures!

how big is the tank btw?
Thank you aroilike! bro,

Sorry for not mentioning, my current tank is only a 20gallon tank about 2 1/2 feet. Previously have a 3ft but gave it away. I know is kind of small for these fast growing angelfish, but i ensure their growing are not limited. Will be changing to a tall tank of 2.5feet when my angelfish start to grow bigger. Currently they are about the size of a 50cents coin for the body.

I try to limit the bioload in the tank as well, only a few cardinal (their natural companion, as well as their prey) and 2 pleco. I make sure they have enough space for swimming.

Anyway, i will update and continue their development for the 1 month. Thanks =)
Old 14-08-2011, 02:47 AM   #4
12end

nice fishes you have there. made me interested in these types of fishes XD
Old 14-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
shawnchen89
Senior Dragon

Very nice! your tank looks very serene, unlike mine, which has a shoal of pigs inside
shawnchen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
LivingInHudor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12end View Post
nice fishes you have there. made me interested in these types of fishes XD
Hi 12end bro,

Thanks. Ha ha, ya quite addictive to see them munch all day long, even when their mouth is full of food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnchen89 View Post
Very nice! your tank looks very serene, unlike mine, which has a shoal of pigs inside
Hi shawn bro,

Thanks. Your shoal of 'pigs' are what keeps your tank ALIVE! They are like the hidden treasures in your pool, i cant imagine what will be like without those beauty. Ha. Please do guide and advise is welcome.
Old 14-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
LivingInHudor

Default Update on the 1st month of my Peruvian Development

4th Month:

You might be wondering what kind of improvement they have made in just 1 month. Their current size is bigger than a 50cent coin. Their stripes started to get darken even when the light is on, unlike in the beginning they only get darken in stripes when in dark places. Although darken in stripes can means alot of things like happiness, anger, hungry and even moody, but from my observation, they shown a sign of comfort and peace with other members.

This 3 are slightly younger and smaller compared to the rest. But are chasing up in size very rapidly!

This one of the bigger angels, started to show red / brownish spots on the body. Make me wonder whether is this the red-spotted Peruvian skalare. Some of the observation made is that the body and fins will develop dark dot spots when grow up, and the fins and the tails will shown more variation of colour : like pink, red and brown.

From the picture, you can see there is a shiny gradient of metallic blue appearing just beside the eye and slowly expanding to the stripes next to it. Its dorsal also have some blue colour to it, unlike others have mostly orange/ yellow in colour. Just need to continue to observe whether the blue ventures will spread to other part of the body, giving it more variation.

This piece has a mixture of white and brown spots on its upper fins. Most of them only have brown spots. Love its red eyes as well.

Camera Shy!

One of the darkest in the group

Full view:

Sorry for the poor photography skills and description, but i will continue to improve. Feel free to comments and ask me any questions about them, i am willing to help!

Any critics and advises are welcome, as i am new and also here to learn. =) Happy Angels Keeping!

Thanks!
Old 14-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
FanAromatic
Dragon

Nice pic, nice Altums, looks very healthy, thanks for sharing with good description of the fish.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
akvastabil
User Under Moderation

Hi, good to know that we have a Peru Altum enthusiastic here. Have a four pcs myself, never really observed them so closely like you. Their basic appearrance are silverish body with black bars.At around 2 ins, no spots and other color shown. Do update yours and share, share.
akvastabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
goldcook
Arofanatic

sweet peu bro, and love your setup..
goldcook is offline   Reply With Quote