Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #461
Quistis
Arofanatic

Hi guys, think the fin rot is getting worse. Although its still eating like no tmr but damn heart pain to see the fins become like. And yes mine is bare bottom tank. Should i put some substrate?
Quistis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #462
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

whats the survival rate if i decided to get 10 altums and placed them in an established 422 tank without any extra treatment and no quaratine?
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #463
illumnae
Dragon

established or not established, columnaris bacteria will be in that tank. do it at your own risk.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #464
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
established or not established, columnaris bacteria will be in that tank. do it at your own risk.
sigh.. how i wish i have an extra tank for quaratine.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #465
Mr.XP
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
whats the survival rate if i decided to get 10 altums and placed them in an established 422 tank without any extra treatment and no quaratine?
Bought 5 during the last season, did what you mentioned 4 surviving till now. I think really depends on the water and AA conditions.
Quarantine and treatment should reduce the risk, but not totally. Columnaris can be deadly to AAs, but I believe the bodily resistance of AAs can sometimes be strong enough to hold against certain degree of infections from the bacteria. I've seen AAs survive and recover after sustained period of melting fins without any medication. One of my AAs was once struck with cotton wool-like growth on the mouth, did some WC and administered medication, and recovered completely in 1 week.
A very much of it is still exercise of judgement and experimentation which is fun and challenging at the same time in AA keeping.

Last edited by Mr.XP; 11-08-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Mr.XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #466
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XP View Post
Bought 5 during the last season, did what you mentioned 4 surviving till now. I think really depends on the water and AA conditions.
Quarantine and treatment should reduce the risk, but not totally. Columnaris can be deadly to AAs, but I believe the bodily resistance of AAs can sometimes be strong enough to hold against certain degree of infections from the bacteria. I've seen AAs survive and recover after sustained period of melting fins without any medication. One of my AAs was once struck with cotton wool-like growth on the mouth, did some WC and administered medication, and recovered completely in 1 week.
A very much of it is still exercise of judgement and experimentation which is fun and challenging at the same time in AA keeping.
thanks bro for your advice.. still considering.. i wonder if altums is ok with high flow rate? i had to remove the wave maker in my 422 when i keep discus because they are stressed with higher flow in the tank..
Old 15-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #467
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

can furan-2 treatment be used for a 422 planted tank? will it kill the plants?
Old 15-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #468
shawnchen89
Senior Dragon

Quote:
can furan-2 treatment be used for a 422 planted tank? will it kill the plants?
the amount of furan2 you have to use will be not economical anyway. Get a small 2ft or 1.5 ft to do your quarantine and let them bulk up and get healthy etc before adding them into the planted tank will be better.
shawnchen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #469
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnchen89 View Post
the amount of furan2 you have to use will be not economical anyway. Get a small 2ft or 1.5 ft to do your quarantine and let them bulk up and get healthy etc before adding them into the planted tank will be better.
if i had the space for another tank i wont be asking that question already..
Old 16-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #470
shawnchen89
Senior Dragon

Quote:
if i had the space for another tank i wont be asking that question already..
either that, or pray hard that someone sells their oredi quarantined altums lor, I got mine that way
shawnchen89 is offline   Reply With Quote