Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 22-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
glenncjy
Arofanatic

Default Ious tank in outdoor terrace

Hi bros.. Im contemplating to do the above. But have been advised against by many experts. Esp on algae issue.
But im pretty much going ahead w the design, hence would like to know are there any tips to prevent water? Apart from weekly water change and scrub..are there anythings that i can add or do to prevent?

Does shelter helps? As im planning to just leave the tank at open yard. and drill a hole by side for overflow just in case of rain.

Thanks for the advice
glenncjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
UnSun

I'm using outdoor setups too, like glass tanks, poly, fgt, and cement ponds too. What are you trying to achieve? One thing for sure,there will be plenty of algae, gw and high temp and definitely you cannot leave it out in the open without some form of shading.
Old 22-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
glenncjy
Arofanatic

I just want to make use of the space there. How do i counter those issues that mention? How is you shading done?

Tks
glenncjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
ethanleow
Dragon

get a few algae eaters such as snails and algae eating pleco to do the job and also get ur tank planted to keep nitrates lower by a little.
ethanleow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
ethanleow
Dragon

shades wise depend on your design and the facing of your tank, your shade must cater to the sunshine.
Old 22-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
UnSun

First your tank/pond should hold at least 100L in order to maintain water stability like temp and ph fluctuations. (GW can have very big PH fluctuations ie..6-10 daily) Water will be green unless you put in a UV. To counter heat and minimize rainwater exposure you've to put in some kinda water and uv proof shade, partially over your tank/pond. Also avoid sunlight hitting the sides of your tank/pond too.
I prefer using box type diy filters, with a simple fine and coarse sponge and coral chips and power by a pond pump 3-5x filtration. Depending on what fish you are keeping, too high power will risk zapping your fish. You don't have to worry about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate because the GW will take care of it. All you need to do is check the hue of the GW to determine your w/cs frequency.(that's not my vid, just to show you gw hue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCkEybSipo&NR=1
Old 22-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
ethanleow
Dragon

yea UV could be another alternative.
Old 23-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncjy View Post
Hi bros.. Im contemplating to do the above. But have been advised against by many experts. Esp on algae issue.
But im pretty much going ahead w the design, hence would like to know are there any tips to prevent water? Apart from weekly water change and scrub..are there anythings that i can add or do to prevent?
Does shelter helps? As im planning to just leave the tank at open yard. and drill a hole by side for overflow just in case of rain.
Thanks for the advice
yes, having shelter definitely help. check the tank placement location to decide how best to construct ur shelter.
other methods would be to have algae eaters in the tank; use UV etc.
IMO, since ur having this in ur backyard, having a little green water just adds to the greenery.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
zoomoh
Dragon

if u leave tank in the open...make sure that u have enuff CC to buffer the rain water...since u mentioning abt having shelter...i think it will be good...as it block away the rain water going into the tank which can cause a big change in water parameter...it also prevent direct sunlight into the tank n cause green water issue...
zoomoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Zozo
Dragon

I've tanks that are also placed outdoor and the best way to prevent algae is uv. Canister filter is preferred as I've an ohf that is choked with green algae. The uv will give u greenless water and the canister will prevent ur cr to to clogged up.
Good luck
Zozo is offline   Reply With Quote