Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #31
nutx
Dragon

Bro...nice simple setup.

Your fish are nice. Many could be male, but it is ok. They have decent body with nice finishing.

In fact, I would always encourage fiberpond keeper keep male fish, bec the finishing is better, and with the limited sun light, male fish can retent their colour better. There are good male with nice body too.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #32
terence28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
Bro...nice simple setup.

Your fish are nice. Many could be male, but it is ok. They have decent body with nice finishing.

In fact, I would always encourage fiberpond keeper keep male fish, bec the finishing is better, and with the limited sun light, male fish can retent their colour better. There are good male with nice body too.

Fully agree with you. Btw, one of my nice small sanke has turned out male as u suspected. Will update that thread soon.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #33
FD3S
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAE8687 View Post
Wow, bro! Love your Ochiba and Shusui so much. Very nice and simple setup. Thanks for sharing bro.
thank you! as mentioned, make-shift HDB setup ma... LOL. But good enuf for my simple pleasures, at the moment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbetta View Post
Nice bro...Ur fishes all very well taken care of....They all oso got nice hump!!!The Ocihba got very nice body....
Thanks, bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaDFisHFood View Post
i love your bigger showa!!
LOL my fav too, despite the patch of weak hi at the tail. This is her at 11cm @ 1st June

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28 View Post
yr flash quite strong! I think they can reach 60cm. I like the strong sumi on the showa on the left. The other showa looks like got potential to be very nice too.
I think you're right about the other. It's a different quality in its sumi to the left, but then it's the only one not from ah seng's bargain section. But the hi is very uneven, I wasn't experienced enough to pick it up when I bought it. This was it back then, so much nicer huh? LOL

Last edited by FD3S; 04-12-2009 at 05:09 PM.
FD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #34
FD3S
Dragon

Quote:
Bro...nice simple setup.

Thanks bro, one of my more advance koi hobbyist friends also offered me the same advice when I started. He also said they have better chance of not developing body shape problems in my very shallow tub.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #35
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
2nd Dec 09 WC update.

Some have left, one new one has joined. The new guy is the sanke that still has nice white skin, the rest have been tarnished by my bad fishkeeping.

They've grown too, the largest kohaku is almost touching 50cm, and the larger showa is almost 45cm. I wonder how much more can they grow...
You dun say that bad fish keeping has tarnish the koi. They are already in better condition than expected. It is more like good TLC to me. The kois can grow to such size in a HDB FGT is already a good achievement.

Personally i am attracted to the more intense sumi showa and ochiba. Any based on your old photos attached, they have change alot under your good care.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #36
FD3S
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
You dun say that bad fish keeping has tarnish the koi. They are already in better condition than expected. It is more like good TLC to me. The kois can grow to such size in a HDB FGT is already a good achievement.
Thank you for the encouragement.

But to be honest, the shiro on most of them has turned a little opaque milky white, instead of a translucent white. I don't know if that's reversible...
Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #37
Kohaku
Dragon

Quote:

But to be honest, the shiro on most of them has turned a little opaque milky white, instead of a translucent white. I don't know if that's reversible...
I am not sure about this, but maybe those who are more experience can comment about the white skin problem.
Kohaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #38
nutx
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohaku View Post
I am not sure about this, but maybe those who are more experience can comment about the white skin problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S

Bro....not too sure what you meant by opaque milky and translucent white.
in general, young fish has a softer whiter.
nutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #39
FD3S
Dragon

Quote:
Bro....not too sure what you meant by opaque milky and translucent white.
in general, young fish has a softer whiter.
Hmmm OK... maybe you are right. Maybe it's just too much color food.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #40
Alex CHew

Quote:
Tub is 7'x4'x28", of which 2'x4' is the filtration. Actual space for the fish to swim about is only 5'x4'. The filter media is almost completely J-mat, 6x6" chambers in the middle of the filter, with a bigger chamber at the end for my oyster shells.

These are cheap pet koi, all of them cost under $60ea barring one. They are good enough for me, since I can never give them the conditions a better koi would require to develop properly.

That shusui is just a normal shusui, just a little orangy. The tub is fully indoors so it's kind of hard to maintain the colours. I've recently changed their pellets to some colour enhancing ones, hopefully that might help a little.
Hi Bro, can you advise where did you make your FGT and how much is the cost? Thanks!!!