Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 10-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
The Game

Default What are the thing need to be done...

I am having a 5 X 2 X 2 tank, used to keep arowana. Going to shift to my new house in dec 08 and have in mind change the tank to a planted tank.

Need advise from bro/ sis here :-

1) What stuff should I get to start up? Cost? Where to get?

2) The tank will be sited next to the window, will it help the growth of plant?

3) Intend to keep discus in the tank, which type of plant is good?

4) THe back and 2 sides of my tank is fitted with black oyama paper, need to take out??

5) is there anyone or shop that helps people to start up a planted tank? If yes, who can I contact and how much will be the cost?

Will appreciate it if any bro/sis here can provide me with the above information required. Will be nice if there are expert here who can help me to set it up too.. of cos... $$ can be discussed. Pm me the detail. Thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
Y0uH0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I am having a 5 X 2 X 2 tank, used to keep arowana. Going to shift to my new house in dec 08 and have in mind change the tank to a planted tank.

4) THe back and 2 sides of my tank is fitted with black oyama paper, need to take out??

5) is there anyone or shop that helps people to start up a planted tank? If yes, who can I contact and how much will be the cost?

Will appreciate it if any bro/sis here can provide me with the above information required. Will be nice if there are expert here who can help me to set it up too.. of cos... $$ can be discussed. Pm me the detail. Thanks
Hey bro, first and foremost, welcome to the world of planted tanks. Wow, thats alot of questions you have there..let me answer them one by one to the best of my abilities.

1)For startup, since you are going into the area of planted with discus, i would suggest you obtain the following:
  • base fertiliser
  • top soil eg. ADA soil
  • Lights
  • Canister(bio) filter
  • surface skimmer
  • hardscape eg rocks and driftwood

I'm not too sure about the cost but i'd suggest you check out Nature Aquarium as well as fish farms. (need help from other bros regarding suggestions)

2) Having the tank next to the window will help the plants grow but it will do more harm to your plants instead because sunlight encourages algae growth. Instead, opt for artificial lighting which can be controlled. Also certain types of lighting spectrums present in artificial lighting go well for plants but not algae.

3)As far as discus are concerned, they are warm water fish so probably you'd go for plants that can tolerate higher temp. Also, choice of plants would be affected by other factors as well eg. lighting levels, low tech or high tech setup?

4)I'd suggest you keep the oyama paper if it is a solid colour like black or blue because it can cause your scape and fish to stand out.

5)I will advice you against engaging help to setup your tank because although it will look good, it takes the fun out from setting up your own scape. Theres isn't more fun than being able to setup a scape based on your own imagination and watching it take shape and i'm sure the others here will second that! The charges for tank setup can work out to as much as around $100 per feet or even more and many a times it is only the cost of them helping you setup which means that you'll still have to pay for plants and so on. Also, you'll still have to factor in the maintenance cost of the tank if you were to engage external help.

Hope my reply doesn't put you off starting a planted tank. It will take up abit of your fianances, time and effort but trust me, it will all be worthwhile. I am a student with school committments but that hasn't put me off from constantly trying to improve my scapes and i can tell you, watching your own tank setup mature is the most rewarding feeling you can get. Before you start your own setup, do some research about this hobby first because there are alot of factors that you have to take note of. Ask around for help and i am sure the rest will be more than happy to assist you. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0 View Post
Hey bro, first and foremost, welcome to the world of planted tanks. Wow, thats alot of questions you have there..let me answer them one by one to the best of my abilities.

1)For startup, since you are going into the area of planted with discus, i would suggest you obtain the following:
  • base fertiliser
  • top soil eg. ADA soil
  • Lights
  • Canister(bio) filter
  • surface skimmer
  • hardscape eg rocks and driftwood

I'm not too sure about the cost but i'd suggest you check out Nature Aquarium as well as fish farms. (need help from other bros regarding suggestions)

2) Having the tank next to the window will help the plants grow but it will do more harm to your plants instead because sunlight encourages algae growth. Instead, opt for artificial lighting which can be controlled. Also certain types of lighting spectrums present in artificial lighting go well for plants but not algae.

3)As far as discus are concerned, they are warm water fish so probably you'd go for plants that can tolerate higher temp. Also, choice of plants would be affected by other factors as well eg. lighting levels, low tech or high tech setup?

4)I'd suggest you keep the oyama paper if it is a solid colour like black or blue because it can cause your scape and fish to stand out.

5)I will advice you against engaging help to setup your tank because although it will look good, it takes the fun out from setting up your own scape. Theres isn't more fun than being able to setup a scape based on your own imagination and watching it take shape and i'm sure the others here will second that! The charges for tank setup can work out to as much as around $100 per feet or even more and many a times it is only the cost of them helping you setup which means that you'll still have to pay for plants and so on. Also, you'll still have to factor in the maintenance cost of the tank if you were to engage external help.

Hope my reply doesn't put you off starting a planted tank. It will take up abit of your fianances, time and effort but trust me, it will all be worthwhile. I am a student with school committments but that hasn't put me off from constantly trying to improve my scapes and i can tell you, watching your own tank setup mature is the most rewarding feeling you can get. Before you start your own setup, do some research about this hobby first because there are alot of factors that you have to take note of. Ask around for help and i am sure the rest will be more than happy to assist you. Good luck!
Thanks bro for the advise and you are not putting me off to start a planted tank...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Y0uH0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Thanks bro for the advise and you are not putting me off to start a planted tank...
Glad to hear that...good luck!
Old 20-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
bengy

my experience:
base fertiliser: 2 bags jbl base fert ($20 - 30+- each bag)
substrate: 70 - 90kg of lapis for sloping effect 8 x $20+- (each bag about 22kg)
Lights: 2 x 70watts, i diyed (2x lights plus ballast think $160, 2 osram light tube $8 plus each i think) stand DIY about $25, you can opt for 2x150w but i find too powerfull
Canister filter: 1x2260 $300 - $400+- if not 2x2028 2x$380 +-
media: few kg of bio, house, about 10 - 15L of mr aqua cr
surface skimmer: normal kind is sufficient $9
hardscape eg rocks and driftwood: dw get big piece, best if it's like 1.5 - 3 feet to have the mass, NA sells relatively cheap and big dw, about 15 - 20 a pc you prob need about 3 - 5 big pc

items listed is more or less for my setup. actual price you got to find out your self. i give rough price. cause i think recently some equipemnt price went up

fan or chiller you decide.. fan cheaper.. chiller prob you need 3/4hp...

no only helps alage to grow

i recommend less stem plants and hideous dw, discus will spend most of the time hiding.

your perference, if i, i will remove them

i will pm you the details.. [/FONT]
Old 21-10-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
patricc

Dun take out the oyama as some discus are shy and the oyama helps to block movement from the sides to be seen by them hence less frightened.

Plants look for more mid ground plants so the discus would be hiding among the tall plants if u plan to view them more.... else get only thin tall plants and plant only a row of them at the back only...

get a mixture of fast and slow growing plants to balance.... plant a bit heavily when u set up to prevent algae from forming due to high nutrients in the water when u start a tank.

ADA or Gex soil will lower the PH for the discus which is good but long term the soil will decompose into mud so not so nice... thats mayb after 2 years.... get JBL or if u want better the Dennerle Deponit... cover with quartz or lapis sand and you are good to go....
Old 24-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
Emmanuel
Arofanatic

bro, perhaps u should also read bout discus also.. they require alot of water change and looking at the size of the tank 5x2x2, maybe u should think twice before getting discus. I've discus myself and i have to agree they looks great in a planted tank. good luck bro.
Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
Mizu World

It's not tough to set up a planted tank, even for a beginner.
You should read around on the internet before starting one however, as most common mistakes can be avoided.

The general rule is to always plant heavily from the start. Plants are natural biological filter and will allow your tank to mature faster.

The advice will be to control your aquarium with artificial lightings. Avoid areas with strong sunlight as the aquarium is very prone to algae issues if there is a mismatch in light, fertilization and CO2.