Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 13-10-2004, 03:26 AM   #21
benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
wow .. i also hope Benny will do us proud .. hehe
Not fair! Giving me undued pressure.

I might give it a shot to join the crowd, but don't have anything impressive to show. I think some of you guys know that I shoot mostly corydoras and they are not exactly competition materials. Small, boring, colorless little scavengers.

With so many beautiful arowanas, the competition will be tough.

Cheers,
Old 13-10-2004, 10:37 AM   #22
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny
Not fair! Giving me undued pressure.

I might give it a shot to join the crowd, but don't have anything impressive to show. I think some of you guys know that I shoot mostly corydoras and they are not exactly competition materials. Small, boring, colorless little scavengers.

With so many beautiful arowanas, the competition will be tough.

Cheers,
then we go shoot arowanas, hehe ... easily avalable
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2004, 12:02 PM   #23
coldfish

Quote:
One of the reason you don't see some of their pictures is because the screen resolution is a lot less that the actual print quality of the photographs. The finest dot pitch of most monitors usually can't even beat the sharpness of a 4R print, not to mention 8R ones. So whilst their picture on the monitor may not look tack sharp, when you actually view the print, the details will blow you away! On the other hand, a lot of seemingly sharp pictures on screen will actually look over sharpen and unnatural when printed as photographs. Just one of those things that I've found out from these guys.

Cheers,
Looks like Canon chose not to sharpen images in-camera too much was truely targeted at owners who want to develop their photos & I really appreciate that.
I can confirm with the claim above as I have ever developed some images which I thought was 'tack' sharp on computer screen while the prints showed halos around my subjects which all ending up looking so artificial.
However, I was referring to jpeg format for the a/m.
You still can get the best of both worlds by shooting in RAW (provided your camera supports the format).
Instead of USMing your images, sharpen them while they are still in RAW format and then do some luminous smoothing if necessary.
The results? Cleaner images & better sharpening qualities.
Although many out there don't like using Photoshop CS to edit RAW files, I find it adequate for someone of sub par standard like me.

~Disclaimer~
Please don't get me wrong for I don't work for Canon or receive any anything from them by putting up those words.
These are all strictly my personal opinions.
Old 14-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #24
LostBoI
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Thanks for the kind compliment. There's actually quite a lot of real "pro" level photographers around, mostly keeping quiet. I can't hold a candle to these fellas with my hobbyist efforts.

One of the reason you don't see some of their pictures is because the screen resolution is a lot less that the actual print quality of the photographs. The finest dot pitch of most monitors usually can't even beat the sharpness of a 4R print, not to mention 8R ones. So whilst their picture on the monitor may not look tack sharp, when you actually view the print, the details will blow you away! On the other hand, a lot of seemingly sharp pictures on screen will actually look over sharpen and unnatural when printed as photographs. Just one of those things that I've found out from these guys.

Cheers,
woow..too chiem for me to absorb liao leh ehehehe anyway hope to see ur pics there soon....

haiz judge 4 posted comments liao i only got 80...highest is 83..
keeping my fingers crossed
LostBoI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #25
ccplim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoI
woow..too chiem for me to absorb liao leh ehehehe anyway hope to see ur pics there soon....

Do worry. The marks are not based on one judge alone
Old 23-10-2004, 10:50 PM   #26
Vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoI

cloudyrain is 83??
Old 24-10-2004, 01:06 AM   #27
LostBoI
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vil
cloudyrain is 83??
cloudyrain ya lor judge 5 more strict sial only gave me 77 points heheee...

anyway benny in liao hehehe with that cute little puffer fish face hehee..fierce photo hehee
Old 24-10-2004, 01:12 AM   #28
benny

Hi guys,

I'll give it a shot with one of the recent pictures and see how it goes. Don't have any arowanas so I'll have to make do with a puffer first. Hope it'll stand up to the competition.

Cheers,
Old 24-10-2004, 01:22 AM   #29
LostBoI
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'll give it a shot with one of the recent pictures and see how it goes. Don't have any arowanas so I'll have to make do with a puffer first. Hope it'll stand up to the competition.

Cheers,
bro come my house and take my aro lah i will be very honored hheeee

anyway i always wanna have some studio quality pics of my aro ehhee...i very near to CF nia mah in punggol
Old 25-10-2004, 12:32 AM   #30
LostBoI
Endangered Dragon

woo...jimtan win liao i guess look at the scoring ehehee..powerful leh