Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 PM   #11
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksley View Post
Which reminds me, I read somewhere in passing that CO2 and O2 levels in the water are not related. As in, more CO2 doesn't mean less O2. Is this true? If so, then how does the fish gasping at the surface idea work?
CO2 do not displace O2. The gasping is because of the increasing acidity (basically too much for them) of the water that causes stress, affecting their health.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #12
doubleace

Quote:
I think this is a good method if you're using a CO2 reactor.

I'm using a ceramic diffusor and I positioned it such that the bubbles would get caught in the outlet of the filter. The thing is, if I increase the CO2 supply, the bubbles tend to get bigger and there would be more of them and not all of them will get caught by the water returning to the tank. So they rise to the surface and is wasted.

Hence I don't use this method for now. I adjust my CO2 to the point where most of it can be "swept" by the water from my outlet.

Which reminds me, I read somewhere in passing that CO2 and O2 levels in the water are not related. As in, more CO2 doesn't mean less O2. Is this true? If so, then how does the fish gasping at the surface idea work?

icic... maybe can place a rainbar to blow across the other end?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #13
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
CO2 do not displace O2. The gasping is because of the increasing acidity (basically too much for them) of the water that causes stress, affecting their health.
No wonder. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:34 AM   #14
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleace View Post
icic... maybe can place a rainbar to blow across the other end?
Won't really work...I'm using an OHF.
Old 15-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
branong
Banned

Quote:
You can also get a Drop Checker. Otherwise, if you are confident, you can just increase the CO2 slowly everyday until the fishes exhibit symptoms of stress, after which you stop increasing.

If you are using inert stuff in your tank, then by all means use the pH/KH chart.
bro Calvin, i tried increasing CO2 slowly day by day in my office tank (4x2x2), no prob. but for my home nano 1 ft cube, whenever i adjust the co2, fishes all ok except SAE, they go mad, race up and down the height of the tank. no symptoms of breathing on the surface but after that the SAEs slowly died... best part was my dennerle co2 tester, still shows green (normal) instead of yellow for excessive acidity.. weird.. think its not v accurate leh..
branong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
branong
Banned

Quote:
Won't really work...I'm using an OHF.
can u add an elbow to guide water flow towards the other side rather than letting it gush downwards? it may be better ar.. btw, i got a stackable filter elbow from Y618 for $2.50. solved my water circulation problem
Old 15-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #17
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by branong View Post
can u add an elbow to guide water flow towards the other side rather than letting it gush downwards? it may be better ar.. btw, i got a stackable filter elbow from Y618 for $2.50. solved my water circulation problem
I am using the elbow le. But there's a limit to the amount of bubbles it can push.
Old 15-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #18
branong
Banned

sure i understand... last method i can recommend is using a small 200L/hr internal filter. instead of leaving the piping for th air bubbles out dangling the tank. insert the co2 tubin there. it will help u blow the CO2 bubbles away...
v cheap only less than $10 in buy/sell forum.
Old 16-10-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Quote:
so is it possible to pump co2 through a reactor and add an air pump too to increase oxygen?

i always thought people do not use air pump in planted tanks as the air may displace the co2 and thus reducing it.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #20
branong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
so is it possible to pump co2 through a reactor and add an air pump too to increase oxygen?

i always thought people do not use air pump in planted tanks as the air may displace the co2 and thus reducing it.
Amano does that and in fact i have been doing that practise for the past year. i have 2 timers which works for the photo period and non photo period.
for the non photo period, the airstone is one to aerate the water as my SAEs die really easily if without them. probably due to the reason that my water is ph5.3