Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 17-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #1
Mfank

Exclamation Small silver arowana questions

Hi, my names Matt
I am new to Arowana keeping and arofanatics, i have recently bought a 4"-5" silver. He seems to be settling into his new 46 quite nicely. he is eating floating pellets (i cut them up into small pieces)

I was wondering how many times a day i should be feeding him?i been feeding him twice a day right now.
Also how much each time should i feed him? the full pellet is approx. 1/2 inch long and 1/4 thick (cylinder shape)

Also what is the ideal Ph level? ( at about 7.5 right now )

Thank you!
Old 17-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
beepoobee
Arofanatic

feed him at least once a day as he is still small.. twice a day is good. remove uneaten food.

as for PH.. as long as it is between 6.5 to 8.. is ok... most important is stability.
beepoobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #3
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfank View Post
Hi, my names Matt
I am new to Arowana keeping and arofanatics, i have recently bought a 4"-5" silver. He seems to be settling into his new 46 quite nicely. he is eating floating pellets (i cut them up into small pieces)

I was wondering how many times a day i should be feeding him?i been feeding him twice a day right now.
Also how much each time should i feed him? the full pellet is approx. 1/2 inch long and 1/4 thick (cylinder shape)

Also what is the ideal Ph level? ( at about 7.5 right now )

Thank you!
Hi Matt,

What's the tank dimension that you're keeping your juvenile silver arowana in? 46 gallons is too small to contain it in the long run, as silvers are known to grow to at least 18" effortlessly.

Since it's a juvenile arowana, I would suggest feeding it regularly (about 4-6 times a day), in small quantities if time permits. You can also vary its diet by giving it some small mealworms, small frogs, chopped market prawn; otherwise pellets as a staple is fine too. Avoid pellets that are known to have red colour enhancing properties as this will cause your arowana to develop artificial red colouration around its fin areas and it might also shorten your arowana's life span.

pH of 7.5 is fine, but maybe a slightly lower pH of around 6.5 - 6.8 would be ideal. As beepoobee said that its of utmost importance to have a stable pH that doesn't fluctuate too much.

All the best in your arowana keeping!
HuttShun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

ts, are you located in sin or what?
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Mfank

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttShun View Post
Hi Matt,

What's the tank dimension that you're keeping your juvenile silver arowana in? 46 gallons is too small to contain it in the long run, as silvers are known to grow to at least 18" effortlessly.

Since it's a juvenile arowana, I would suggest feeding it regularly (about 4-6 times a day), in small quantities if time permits. You can also vary its diet by giving it some small mealworms, small frogs, chopped market prawn; otherwise pellets as a staple is fine too. Avoid pellets that are known to have red colour enhancing properties as this will cause your arowana to develop artificial red colouration around its fin areas and it might also shorten your arowana's life span.

pH of 7.5 is fine, but maybe a slightly lower pH of around 6.5 - 6.8 would be ideal. As beepoobee said that its of utmost importance to have a stable pH that doesn't fluctuate too much.

All the best in your arowana keeping!
thank you very much for the replies Beepoobee and Huttshun!
the dimensions of the tank are 36long18high12thick, i am in the process of looking for a much larger tank for him.
i will be attempting to adjust the ph very slowly to about 6.8
i am finding the pellets i am using are almost making him look quite bloated, not dangerously but i am not sure if hes having trouble digesting them.
i have free dried blood worms i will try to feed him, should i wait a day or so to see if the "bloating goes away" ?

i am located in western canada

Thanks!
Old 18-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:
thank you very much for the replies Beepoobee and Huttshun!
the dimensions of the tank are 36long18high12thick, i am in the process of looking for a much larger tank for him.
i will be attempting to adjust the ph very slowly to about 6.8
i am finding the pellets i am using are almost making him look quite bloated, not dangerously but i am not sure if hes having trouble digesting them.
i have free dried blood worms i will try to feed him, should i wait a day or so to see if the "bloating goes away" ?

i am located in western canada

Thanks!
Yup, you'll have to start sourcing for a larger tank soon!

With regards to the pH part, as long as the change isn't sudden, I'm sure your fish will be fine. Even a pH of 7.5 is fine.

What's the brand of pellets that you're feeding your arowana? I would avoid freeze dried blood/tubifex worms, to me they don't really provide enough nutrition for your fish.

If the "bloating" occurs after feeding, I think it's fine as the food is currently being digested. Be sure not to overfeed your fish though.
Old 18-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
Mfank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttShun View Post
Yup, you'll have to start sourcing for a larger tank soon!

With regards to the pH part, as long as the change isn't sudden, I'm sure your fish will be fine. Even a pH of 7.5 is fine.

What's the brand of pellets that you're feeding your arowana? I would avoid freeze dried blood/tubifex worms, to me they don't really provide enough nutrition for your fish.

If the "bloating" occurs after feeding, I think it's fine as the food is currently being digested. Be sure not to overfeed your fish though.

I will keep that in mind with the ph.

The brand of pellets are called nutrafin max - predator sticks
How about freeze dried red shrimp? Would those be sufficient?

Thanks
Old 18-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

Welcome to af.

If you intend to feed the juveniles with live feeders
please quarantined them for at least 5 days before releasing them into the tank.

One more thing: make sure the top is securely covered tight.
Aros are jumpers & very strong even juveniles.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Whoami
Arofanatic

Quote:

Thanks
I think pellets & dried krills should be good and more than enough for the fish to stay healthy & happy. I don't like the idea of giving live feed because it's hard to tell any of the live feed after quarantined that still exposes to disease in "incubation period"

But I may be wrong
Whoami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #10
HuttShun
Dragon

Quote:

Thanks
Personally, I'll avoid freeze dried red shrimps as it is known to cause protruding anus in arowana.

Nutrafin Max - Predator sticks has a content of a minimum of 45% crude protein and minimum crude fat of 10%. I guess that's good enough.

Geographical difference has made a difference as to what we feed our fish. I have fed my arowana a varied diet, with a staple of Market Prawns, to bullfrogs, superworms, leftover chicken breast/lean pork/fish fillets from family steamboats, and Hikari pellets. So far so good, they've been with me for 3 years now I'm hoping that they will breed since a pair has been formed last year.