Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #301
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanng View Post
oh.. ok. so if i intend to DIY, i get a cylinder, with 2 pumps. 1 pump is to generate cycle inside the cylinder and another pump is to draw water from the main tank into the cylinder. fill the cylinder up with bioballs and and deniball.

if there any point i need to take note?
Test kit especially NO3 n NO2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #302
Repz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Strong rotten egg smell even if there is a stream of water comming out of denitrator - alot more than 2 -3 drops per second? should i still put this in the tray where there is GAC that leads to my sump?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #303
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repz View Post
Strong rotten egg smell even if there is a stream of water comming out of denitrator - alot more than 2 -3 drops per second? should i still put this in the tray where there is GAC that leads to my sump?
Let it run for half n hour or so. If smell still persist, increase the output gradually. Yes, you should put it why the GAC is located. Aerate the return sump strongly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:23 PM   #304
Repz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you so much bro Atom for all your help, i will let it run in a different container for 30 mins then i will test the output of the line for nitrate. if the smell occurs I will increase the flow rate.

sounds easy enough to me.

Thanks again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #305
alanng
Dragon
 
alanng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,133
Default

just to clarify, for the pump to cycle the bioballs in the cylinder, does it have to be strong? what is the ratio of bioball to demiball?
alanng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:39 PM   #306
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanng View Post
just to clarify, for the pump to cycle the bioballs in the cylinder, does it have to be strong? what is the ratio of bioball to demiball?
Depending on how much anearobic activity you wanted. Normally 1:8. As for the re-circulation, the flowrate is low.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #307
Repz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One more quick question...
If i have GAC in a container (which is placed in the sump) and the outlet is leading to the container. If there is a small egg smell at the output of the denitrator... is it still okay to let it run into the sump?

The GAC will remove any remaining hydrogen sulphite right?
So in theory there would be no harm in me leaving the denitrator on...
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #308
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repz View Post
One more quick question...
If i have GAC in a container (which is placed in the sump) and the outlet is leading to the container. If there is a small egg smell at the output of the denitrator... is it still okay to let it run into the sump?

The GAC will remove any remaining hydrogen sulphite right?
So in theory there would be no harm in me leaving the denitrator on...
No problem. You suppose to leave the output on. For added precaution, aerate the sump.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #309
alanng
Dragon
 
alanng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Depending on how much anearobic activity you wanted. Normally 1:8. As for the re-circulation, the flowrate is low.
ok is it the more demiballs, the better? possible to get a Fuild reactor and DIY?
alanng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #310
atom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanng View Post
ok is it the more demiballs, the better? possible to get a Fuild reactor and DIY?
Yes, you can use a fluid reactor. As for too many deniballs, you will get the system choke up very fast.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)