Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 10-03-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Softy

Default What if your equipment spoilt ?

Like lights...filters
Do you just buy new one or fix it? I mean do they have warranty ? Any service centres? I know ehiem got ... but other brands leh?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softy
Like lights...filters
Do you just buy new one or fix it? I mean do they have warranty ? Any service centres? I know ehiem got ... but other brands leh?
Er.. if can fix, fix lor. Esp filters, where u get brands with replacements parts, it's good as u can just repair by replacing old parts. So i recommend pple to get equipments with replacements.

Lights wise, as far as for the pple I know, when the lights go dead, they take it as a chance for DIY action..

ps.. this one should be posted in equipment subforum ba?
Old 14-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #3
blueray

just try to repair if possible but test it on empty tank first...don't want to end killing my fishes due to poor repair :P
Old 15-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
NGuy

It really depends on the initial cost of the equipment - eg. whether it is worth spending $20 to repair when a new one costs only $35. For me, I will set myself a limit, ie. repair costs shld not exceed 50% of the initial equipment cost, higher than tt, I will jus get a new one.
Old 15-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuy
It really depends on the initial cost of the equipment - eg. whether it is worth spending $20 to repair when a new one costs only $35. For me, I will set myself a limit, ie. repair costs shld not exceed 50% of the initial equipment cost, higher than tt, I will jus get a new one.
I second your opinion. ultimately it boils down to the price of the equipment. If the cost to repair is more than the cost of replacing or that the cost of repair is higher than the current 2nd hand value.. I will just get another piece.
Old 20-03-2005, 01:17 AM   #6
schema

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck
I second your opinion. ultimately it boils down to the price of the equipment. If the cost to repair is more than the cost of replacing or that the cost of repair is higher than the current 2nd hand value.. I will just get another piece.
But if a lightset ($40) spent $30 get a new lease of life from FL to PL, u get a unique lightset, better lifespan (compared to new problem set) then I feel it is ok wat.