Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 22-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #141
yoyofish
Dragon

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz, or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off. I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers; thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance, risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride; so I love you because I know no other way than this: where i does not exist, nor you, so close that your hand on my chest is my hand, so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

[sry if dis is posted before]
yoyofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #142
alf88
Dragon

For those who know, no explanation is needed, for those who don't, none is possible.

For those who know, No explanation is need, for those who Don't, None is possible.

alf88

Last edited by tweety bird; 25-04-2009 at 01:11 PM.
alf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #143
cavallino
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendian View Post
Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect. - Ralpli Waldo Emerson
I didn't know it was an Emerson quote. I actually shared this on the very first page of this thread 2 years ago. but thanks for reminding me, one of my favs!

"In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular."
-Laurence J. Peter
cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #144
si|ver
Senior Dragon

Happiness belongs to the self sufficient. - Aristotle

The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love and something to hope for. - Allan K. Chalmers
si|ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #145
DiStar
Senior Dragon

"Strike Toto and i can retire liao" - overheard from a 60+ year old (estimated) cleaner auntie during lunch today
DiStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #146
cavallino
Administrator

Default The Tao of Warren Buffet

I read about Warren Buffet once in a while, he's really one of my favourites.

Like Bruce Lee, his philisophy is very basic, like "first- pinciples", but the most effective over a lifetime.

I think such ppl who self actualize at the highest levels, are to begin with, very successful in managing their inner man, themselves, only then can they scale great hights in other endeavours.

We only get to see Bruce Lee's fists and Warren Buffet's money, but I believe they first had to be very successful with managing themselves, thus the age- old maxim "Know thyself" or "gnothi seauton".

Just to share some Buffet quotes..

- You can't make a good deal with a bad person.

- It's easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble.

- The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.

- In looking for someone to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence, and energy. But the most important is integrity because if they don't have that, the other two qualities, intelligence and energy, are going to kill you.

- A public-opinion poll is no substitute for thought.

- If you let yourself be undisciplined on the small things, you will probably be undisciplined on the large things as well.

- We also believe candor benefits us as managers. The CEO who misleads others in public may eventually mislead himself in private.

- What we learn from history is that people don't learn from history.

- It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

- In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

- Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing.

- Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked.

- If a business does well, the stock eventually follows.

- It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.

- The business schools reward difficult complex behavior more than simple behavior, but simple behavior is more effective.

- Look at market fluctuations as your friend rather than your enemy; profit from folly rather than participate in it.

- Of the billionaires I have known, money just brings out the basic traits in them. If they were jerks before they had money, they are simply jerks with a billion dollars.

- If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would be librarians.

- When a management team with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.
Old 29-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #147
coyote66

"In life, don't look for trouble. If trouble looks for you, don't fear trouble"

Any problem you encountered during your career is an opportunity for you to excel - Poh Lai

It is better to learn from others' mistakes rather than people learning from your mistakes - Poh Lai

The world is round. What goes round comes around. - Poh Lai

The whole problem......................
is the hole problem - Poh Lai

You played around you lose your wife.
You played too long you lose your life - Poh Lai

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering, can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved - Helen Keller

It is better to learn from the mistakes of others when you have the opportunity rather than allowing others to learn from your mistakes - Poh Lai

It is only in peace time that we have time to plan - Poh Lai

I will not look for trouble but I will never run away from trouble - Poh Lai

to be blind is bad, but worse is to have eyes and not see - helen keller

It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. - Charles Darwin.

The best thing to spend on your children is your time. - Louise Hart

Cats in a Cradle

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

There is more to life than increasing its speed. - Mahatma Gandhi

Be sensitive. Talk with your brain and not with your heart. - Poh Lai

Tough time do not last, Tough people does !! - Ah ZhaN

Last edited by tweety bird; 20-11-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #148
Pendian
Dragon

The ultimate reward for the leader of people is to be able to say, 'I saw someone grow today, and I helped.' - Danny Cox

A wise man will make more opportunity than he finds - Francis Bacon

He who puts up at the first inn he comes across, very often passes a bad night - Filippo Baldinucci

In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different - Coco Chanel

None are so busy as the fool and knave. - John Dryden

A consistent man believes in destiny, a capricious man in chance - Benjamin Disraeli

Hitch your wagon to a star - Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive, and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done. - Vince Lombardi

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do - Epictetus

Business leaders today can't shrink from their obligation to set a moral example. - Willard C. Butcher, 1987

Plough deep while sluggards sleep - Benjamin Franklin

He is no wise man that would quit a certainty for an uncertainty - Samuel Johnson

The squeaky wheel doesn't always get greased: it often gets replaced - John Peers

The squeaky wheel doesn't always get greased; it oftens gets replaced - John Peers

"Leadership is the art of accomplishing more than the science of management says is possible." ~ Colin Powell

If you can do nothing with yourself, others are not likely to do better - Dagobert D Runes

If managers are careless about basic things - telling the truth, respecting moral codes, proper professional conduct - who can believe them on other issues? ~ James L. Hayes, 1983

Regret for wasted time is more wasted time. - Mason Cooley

Manage the opportunities change offers - Performance Sciences Corp

All things are ready, if our minds be so - William Shakespeare

The great man is the man who does a thing for the first time - Alexander Smith

In thinking about motivation from a management perspective, it's very important to appreciate this point: You can't motivate people, you can only influence what they're motivated to do. - Anne Bruce and James S Pepitone

The toughest thing about success is that you've got to keep on being a success - Irving Berlin

Last edited by tweety bird; 13-11-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Pendian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #149
cavallino
Administrator

Spartan King Leonidas: This is where we hold them! This is where we fight! This is where they die!

Xerxes: I will erase Sparta from the histories... The world will never even know you existed at all.
Spartan King Leonidas: The world will know that freemen stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and that before this battle is done, that even a god king can bleed.

Stelios: It is an honor to die at your side.
Spartan King Leonidas: It is an honor to have lived at yours.

Queen Gorgo: Spartan!
Spartan King Leonidas: Yes, my lady?
Queen Gorgo: Come back with your shield, or on it.

Messenger: Who does this woman think she is that she can speak among men?
Queen Gorgo: Because only Spartan women give birth to real men.

Queen Gorgo: Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrafice. The price is paid in blood.

Xerxes: Yours is a fascinating tribe... defiant even in the face of annihilation. There is much our cultures could share.
Spartan King Leonidas: Perhaps you haven't noticed, but we've been sharing our culture with you all morning.

Dilios: For 500 years they've served the dark will of Persian kings. Eyes as dark as night... teeth, filed to fangs... soulless. The personal guard to King Xerxes himself; the Persian warrior elite. The deadliest fighting force in all of Asia. The Immortals.
Spartan King Leonidas: Immortals... we'll put their name to the test.

Xerxes: Imagine what horrible fate awaits my enemies when I would gladly kill any of my own men for victory.
Spartan King Leonidas: And I would die for any of mine.

Spartan King Leonidas: Spartans! Ready your breakfast and eat hearty... For tonight, we dine in hell!

Spartan King Leonidas: Give them nothing! But take from them everything!

Persian Officer: Spartans, lay down your weapons.
Spartan King Leonidas: Persians! Come and get them!

Dilios: "Goodbye my love" - He doesn't say it... there's no room for softness... not in Sparta. No place for weakness. Only the hard and strong may call themselves Spartans. Only the hard... only the strong.

=====

"If you haven't the strength to impose your own terms upon life, you must accept the terms it offers you." -T.S. Eliot

=====

On Determination, Discipline and Focus

From a scene in the movie "300" where spartan Dilios has his right eye impaired in the midst of battle...

[Dilios is putting a patch over his eye]

Spartan King Leonidas: Dilios, I trust that "scratch" hasn't made you useless.

Dilios: Hardly my lord, it is just an eye. The gods saw fit to grace me with a spare.

Personal reflection: I sympathise with Dilios loss of his eye, but I like Dilios' attitude. It's the attitude that determines the altitude. It's an attitude that never takes 'no' for an answer and doesn't let set backs throw oneself off his goals. It's the attitude that enpowers men to achieve great things. I constantly revisit this quote to remind myself not to complain or whine about any difficulties or set backs i face en route to my goals.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #150
crabizzy

Wonder bra

Friends is like a bra,
It's always close to you ,
an sometimes hold you up!!!

Dream what you want to dream;
go where you want to go;
be what you want to be
cuz you have only one life
and one chance to do all the things you want in life.

Never say goodbye
When you still want to try -
Never give up
When you still feel you can take it -
Never say you don't love that person anymore
When you can't let go.

Last edited by tweety bird; 13-11-2008 at 04:21 PM.