Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 13-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
FlowerHFanatic
Senior Dragon

Default 2013 Altum Season

Should be round the corner.. has anyone seen it in any LFS? I bought a batch in 2011 and sold half this year and few months later the other half 'checked out' due to some mishap..

My gameplan was to buy towards the end of the season where late shipments are usually bigger in size and more stable and by then the craze has more or less cool down... so is easier to take your pick when they arrive but this year I would like to have a go at smaller ones and try to grow them up

So have you prepared your tank?
FlowerHFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
plecory

Can't wait for the season to start too! My new tank just arrived last weekend but i have my quarantine tank prepared first. Now in ICT so waiting to out-pro this Friday & prepare the main tank
Old 13-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
FlowerHFanatic
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecory View Post
Can't wait for the season to start too! My new tank just arrived last weekend but i have my quarantine tank prepared first. Now in ICT so waiting to out-pro this Friday & prepare the main tank
what happened to your current batch? sold?
Old 13-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
plecory

Yup, sold
Old 13-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
illumnae
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerHFanatic View Post
Should be round the corner.. has anyone seen it in any LFS? I bought a batch in 2011 and sold half this year and few months later the other half 'checked out' due to some mishap..

My gameplan was to buy towards the end of the season where late shipments are usually bigger in size and more stable and by then the craze has more or less cool down... so is easier to take your pick when they arrive but this year I would like to have a go at smaller ones and try to grow them up

The earlier you get them, the more stable they are. Small altums pack and travel much better than larger ones, all other things being equal.

However, if you get small ones and want to raise them to their maximum potential, be prepared to pellet train them early and buy an auto-feeder. You will want to feed them 6 times a day, as much as they can eat in a few minutes (till they are very obviously fat). The first 6 months is crucial to get your altums growing to maximum potential.

In terms of when the season starts, it will be sometime in the first week of July. Colombian bans lift on 1 July every year, so fishermen will start preparing towards the end of June to ship out massive quantities from the first week of July onwards. I believe the trend over the past few years has been 7-9 July when first imports come in.

If you're aiming for Atabapo altums, they come in usually 1-2 months later.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Red
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerHFanatic View Post

wow bro.. you are fast indeed.. Faster then the fisherman... So the plan is to grab all or interval batches? From what I observe last year, the first arrival is more stunted. i.e. the eyes is bigger than the body. Later batch after a month will be much better and surprisingly the condition is as good as the first. I am not sure for the past few years though. Need any furan 2 let me know
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
FlowerHFanatic
Senior Dragon

Bro Illumnae .. Like the idea of using timer didn't come across that!

Bro red, touch wood - I hope that I don't need to use furan 2 I still have them on standby... Tetracycline I also have a lot!

If u got lobang let me know huh...
Old 13-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Censis
Dragon

Wow bro.. Altum season coming again.. Even though I'm not buyin this year I'm do excited!! currently have a monster comm, if not I would sure grab a comm of them
Best of luck to all of u bros, hope to see the updates soon!!
Censis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
Beerman
Endangered Dragon

Knn....later i am going to wash my empty tank..... buy sand, filter....and standby!
Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
HuttShun
Dragon

Time to prepare my tank and stock up on Furan-2 already.

Only left 1 pc from 2012 batch
HuttShun is offline   Reply With Quote