Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #81
lucas_1957
Dragon

Hi, just want to share my experience in my school. I am currently in sec 4, and there are 3 PRCs in my class. The point is not that SG kids only whine, and that PRC kids are all a motivated lot. The thing is that these kids are 1-2 years older than us, and of cause, they will know much more, and these places us at an extreme disadvantage. You can learn a lot of stuff withinn a year or two, so of cause these PRC kids will be much better than us. So, it is very unfair to us that we have to be placed together with PRCs who are older, i mean, if we are in the same class as PRCs of the same age, then i would have no complaints, after all it would be a fair competition, but the whole emphasis is that it is not a fair competition at all. To beat the PRCs, we would have to put in much more effort than for them to beat us. Furthermore, some of my teachers also show favouritism to them. For instance, during chinese lessons, they are allowed to do their own stuff as their chinese are very good, so they have much more time to study than us, placing us at an even greater disadvantage. Actually the PRCs are quite a nice bunch, but the problem is that this sort of unfairness creates the rift between them and us.

Last edited by lucas_1957; 11-01-2011 at 08:44 PM.
lucas_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #82
Andrew Tan
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_1957 View Post
Hi, just want to share my experience in my school. I am currently in sec 4, and there are 3 PRCs in my class. The point is not that SG kids only whine, and that PRC kids are all a motivated lot. The thing is that these kids are 1-2 years older than us, and of cause, they will know much more, and these places us at an extreme disadvantage. You can learn a lot of stuff withinn a year or two, so of cause these PRC kids will be much better than us. So, it is very unfair to us that we have to be placed together with PRCs who are older, i mean, if we are in the same class as PRCs of the same age, then i would have no complaints, after all it would be a fair competition, but the whole emphasis is that it is not a fair competition at all. To beat the PRCs, we would have to put in much more effort than for them to beat us. Furthermore, some of my teachers also show favouritism to them. For instance, during chinese lessons, they are allowed to do their own stuff as their chinese are very good, so they have much more time to study than us, placing us at an even greater disadvantage. Actually the PRCs are quite a nice bunch, but the problem is that this sort of unfairness creates the rift between them and us.
Yah....in my work place there are also 2 PRC about 20 years older than me....ur classmate 1 year older already so " Lee Hai" my office this 2 older than me by 20 years...before i walk in the toilet they know what color my shit will be......hard or soft they also know...

Last edited by Andrew Tan; 11-01-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Andrew Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #83
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
So, it is very unfair to us that we have to be placed together with PRCs who are older, i mean, if we are in the same class as PRCs of the same age, then i would have no complaints, after all it would be a fair competition, but the whole emphasis is that it is not a fair competition at all.
I pity you. Really do. It's such a sad state that you are in.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #84
Andrew Tan
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
I pity you. Really do. It's such a sad state that you are in.
But hor last time others study in my sec school only take 4 years to complete......but i take 6 years....although i 2 years more senior.....but dun think i got any advantage leh....maybe i not from PRC
Andrew Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #85
fish2102
Arofanatic

but but but Andrew... Those 2 prcs that are younger than you 20 years,they call you boss right? hahahhaa..
fish2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #86
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
The thing is that these kids are 1-2 years older than us, and of cause, they will know much more, and these places us at an extreme disadvantage. You can learn a lot of stuff withinn a year or two, so of cause these PRC kids will be much better than us. So, it is very unfair to us that we have to be placed together with PRCs who are older, i mean, if we are in the same class as PRCs of the same age, then i would have no complaints, after all it would be a fair competition, but the whole emphasis is that it is not a fair competition at all. To beat the PRCs, we would have to put in much more effort than for them to beat us. Furthermore, some of my teachers also show favouritism to them. For instance, during chinese lessons, they are allowed to do their own stuff as their chinese are very good, so they have much more time to study than us, placing us at an even greater disadvantage. Actually the PRCs are quite a nice bunch, but the problem is that this sort of unfairness creates the rift between them and us.

stop whining lah.

do you think it's fair to the PRCs to be held back two years because MOE thinks they are not good enough?

I was held back one year plus put into the 3rd class due to perceived English handicap, I remember vividly one jackass coming up to me on my first day in school & telling me that I would have a hard time matching the SG standards : I am happy to know he had to go to some US community college for uni.

It took me 3 months to catch up & go into the first class leaving the sneerers in the 3rd class regret their high falutin attitudes.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #87
lucas_1957
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
stop whining lah.

do you think it's fair to the PRCs to be held back two years because MOE thinks they are not good enough?

I was held back one year plus put into the 3rd class due to perceived English handicap, I remember vividly one jackass coming up to me on my first day in school & telling me that I would have a hard time matching the SG standards : I am happy to know he had to go to some US community college for uni.

It took me 3 months to catch up & go into the first class leaving the sneerers in the 3rd class regret their high falutin attitudes.
Ok, although their eng is not very good, they do have a huge advantage in chi, math, chem, phy, this is like 4 subjects that they are better than us as compared to 1 subject that we are better. i am not trying to whine here, but it is true that they do have an advantage.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #88
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Ok, although their eng is not very good, they do have a huge advantage in chi, math, chem, phy, this is like 4 subjects that they are better than us as compared to 1 subject that we are better. i am not trying to whine here, but it is true that they do have an advantage.
If u r currently doing Sec 4, u r young enough to be my son. Listen to this old man. Write off this defeatist attitude, work hard and beat them. I know it can be done. My son did his IB exams last year. At PSLE, he did 259. Good but definitely nowhere near the top. In his last year at IB, half his class were foreign students, all scholars. In IB, the top score is 45 points. Two persons in his class got 45 points. One foreign scholar(from Phillipines-female), One Singaporean (Chinese-Male). Eight got 44 points. Two of them foreign, Six of them local. My son was one of the six.

It can be done but first u need to rid that defeatist attitude.

Intelligence PLUS Diligence.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #89
lucas_1957
Dragon

Yeah, thanks for the advice, actually i managed to beat two of them, all the same thanks for everyone's advice
Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #90
smellyfish
Dragon

I thought you born in 1957 still in sec 4 must be much older than them
smellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote