Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 28-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #1
globalcookie
Dragon

Default Simple Planted Tank Project

Like some advise from the sifus.

My current tank is 4ft x 1.5ft. I have CO2 but not intending to use chiller. Using 4 tube T8 lights (abt 208W total). Currently, thhe base is using black quartz.

I intend to create a 'carpet' look, together with the several pieces of nice driftwoods I bought recently. What is your advise on the types of plants as your 'carpet' and why? I would love bubbling effect.

I remember having Ricca and it just dislodge itself and end up floating to the top (defeat the purpose of carpet).

For driftwoods, what are some plants you will consider? I have several pieces and will use Mini US Fissiden for some. What other plants will you use to create a near 'forest' effect?
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

you can keep Monte Carlo as foreground plants... alternatively you can buy foreground plant seeds to fill up the foreground of the tank within days... yes within few days ...

can check it out here..
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...117#post835117

not very sure how is the survival after flooding, as this is still quite new to us..

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Like some advise from the sifus.

My current tank is 4ft x 1.5ft. I have CO2 but not intending to use chiller. Using 4 tube T8 lights (abt 208W total). Currently, thhe base is using black quartz.

I intend to create a 'carpet' look, together with the several pieces of nice driftwoods I bought recently. What is your advise on the types of plants as your 'carpet' and why? I would love bubbling effect.

I remember having Ricca and it just dislodge itself and end up floating to the top (defeat the purpose of carpet).

For driftwoods, what are some plants you will consider? I have several pieces and will use Mini US Fissiden for some. What other plants will you use to create a near 'forest' effect?
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Black Quartz as base is going to be tricky. Safest bet would be moss tied to stainless steel mesh as foreground.
Bubbling effect only comes when oxygen hit saturation point in the water column. Much easier to achieve with cooler water temp and co2 to aid plant growth.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
you can keep Monte Carlo as foreground plants... alternatively you can buy foreground plant seeds to fill up the foreground of the tank within days... yes within few days ...
I tried using Monte Carlo but it was all uprooted for don't know what reason (suspect the yamato was too strong, thus already given it away). Also, it is hard to get it grounded. How do you do it?

I have ordered those seeds from Carousell yesterday. Should be receiving it soon.

From a quick view of other tanks in http://tropica.com/en/inspiration/
I got better impression of some plants in tanks. I will be using more moss since it can look quite nice, plus some other plants to reduce the typical moss look. Made a list of some plants to consider:
- Spikey moss
- Weeping moss
- Flame moss
- mini USF
- Hygrophila Pinnatifida
- Microsorum Pteropus Narrow
- Bolbitis Hendelotti
- Vallisneria Spiralis 'Tiger'

Not going to use all of the above, but these are some I'm considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmel View Post
Black Quartz as base is going to be tricky. Safest bet would be moss tied to stainless steel mesh as foreground.
Bubbling effect only comes when oxygen hit saturation point in the water column. Much easier to achieve with cooler water temp and co2 to aid plant growth.
Indeed, roots doesn't sit into quartz as well as soil i think. But I didn't want to use soil as it will breakdown over time. I think I won't use SS for carpeting, unless i really go for Monte Carlos (seems a good choice to tie to SS).

Glosso is one of those preferred carpet plants and it also bubble if I'm not wrong. I had Ricca before and it was a mess (doesn't hold onto SS even tho I tied and lay it other way around).
Old 30-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #5
elimmel
Senior Dragon

You can still try MC or Glosso as foreground plant. As the roots are finer, you may want to do a dry start or let it grow in before adding fauna.
Glosso may grow tall if light is not intense enough (you light set should be ok). Regular trimming will train it to stay low.
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
globalcookie
Dragon

Ok let me try this new seeds first since I've already placed an order. Will see how it grows and if it can latch itself to the gravel. If this fails, I may go for glosso.
Old 30-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

I just plant them in strand by strand...
can see here..
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=535202

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
I tried using Monte Carlo but it was all uprooted for don't know what reason (suspect the yamato was too strong, thus already given it away). Also, it is hard to get it grounded. How do you do it?

I have ordered those seeds from Carousell yesterday. Should be receiving it soon.

From a quick view of other tanks in http://tropica.com/en/inspiration/
I got better impression of some plants in tanks. I will be using more moss since it can look quite nice, plus some other plants to reduce the typical moss look. Made a list of some plants to consider:
- Spikey moss
- Weeping moss
- Flame moss
- mini USF
- Hygrophila Pinnatifida
- Microsorum Pteropus Narrow
- Bolbitis Hendelotti
- Vallisneria Spiralis 'Tiger'

Not going to use all of the above, but these are some I'm considering.

Indeed, roots doesn't sit into quartz as well as soil i think. But I didn't want to use soil as it will breakdown over time. I think I won't use SS for carpeting, unless i really go for Monte Carlos (seems a good choice to tie to SS).

Glosso is one of those preferred carpet plants and it also bubble if I'm not wrong. I had Ricca before and it was a mess (doesn't hold onto SS even tho I tied and lay it other way around).
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:37 AM   #8
Royston
Dragon

Don't try weeping moss if you do not intend to use chiller. Its quite demanding on cooler temper for good growth.
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #9
Royston
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
Don't try weeping moss if you do not intend to use chiller. Its quite demanding on cooler temper for good growth.
Temperature* damn auto correct
Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
I just plant them in strand by strand...
can see here..
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=535202
You mean, you took the mc strand by strand and plant? I tore a piece into smaller pieces (abt 1") and tried to plant it. They either got uprooted or maybe just withered away. Mess up my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
Hmm ok, thank you for the advise, I may likely end up getting it if you didn't share this info.... cool 'temper' Mine is hot 'temper' as I'm not using chiller (expect it to hover between 28-30 degree).

Flame and spikey shd be fine. I have some Xmas moss and it's doing fine so far, nice shade of green but not growing much.