Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #21
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
icic very true and very well said.one more question,heaters?
yes im sure that is many bro's dream.mine too!haha to create a part of amazon or freshwater lake right smack in my home (:
all the best to your altums!hope they breed soon!
over in singapore its pretty ok. u may want to have 1 in case of cold weather. some aquarium hobbist ever mentioned the cooler the water the better it is for fish. this point again different from individual to individual.

check up on wikipedia and do a online read up on the orinoco river of amazon, u should have a better understanding. look at amano's pictures of the wild as well and u have a rough idea of how they were in the wild.

my altums....... all in heaven liao.... handed in their passport few years back ever since never keep liao..... house feng shui not good for fish keeping and also no $$ to get big tank. so lun till when in future i working got money for own house than consider about it hahahaha
armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:15 AM   #22
oliver
Dragon

Thks broArmageddon for e explicit details! Yah, i got attracted to these Angels recently...wahahaahahaa!
oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #23
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by armageddon View Post
over in singapore its pretty ok. u may want to have 1 in case of cold weather. some aquarium hobbist ever mentioned the cooler the water the better it is for fish. this point again different from individual to individual.

check up on wikipedia and do a online read up on the orinoco river of amazon, u should have a better understanding. look at amano's pictures of the wild as well and u have a rough idea of how they were in the wild.

my altums....... all in heaven liao.... handed in their passport few years back ever since never keep liao..... house feng shui not good for fish keeping and also no $$ to get big tank. so lun till when in future i working got money for own house than consider about it hahahaha
oh my im sorry to hear that.you are very knowledgable bro (: hope to see you return soon (: i'll go read up more and see if im able to try with a first 5 (:
thanks for all the help and advice! (:
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #24
Fingerling

Quote:
pH

this point defer from keepers to keepers. but according to best recommendation, 5.5. still to local context and various overseas context, they manage to keep it well in pH of 6.5 - 7.2

tank colouration

unlike aros, altums do not really have specific. lighting affect its viewing and photographic colouration more. warm / cold light. last time my was in black background.

plants and DW

my preference is to have a balance of both. but compared to standard planted scaping, i will choose a more branchy setup if possible. there are 2 very beautiful setups by bros here.

ROOT's DW only setup is awesome.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=424960

TKS1970's tank is breathtaking as well.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=405182

tankmates

rule of thumb like any fish u keep.
anything that fits its mouth, OUT
anymouth that IT can be fited into, OUT
anything that is super aggresive in nature, OUT

so few gentle tank mates that can consider, cories, swordtails, tetras (depending on size of altum and period it is kept with and size and type of tetras as well), try to have altum as the biggest fish and you shouldn't be having any issues, if tank is small, try preventing plecos but if tank is big enough, than those small sized plecos can consider.

best food

i've given my altums in the pas staple of frozen blood worm. but i've tried BH as well. they take. as bro itchy and other bros have mentioned in another thread, pellets will do fine as well. i've tried feeding my adult LARGE angel (ard 3 inch + in body) baby catfish and they can eat 4 in a meal. many options, its up to u. basically, u can ask any discus keepers what they feed to their discus, u can do the same for altums FBW, BH, Pellets, MP even, etc.

good luck and i look forward to everyone's posting this year :P
Great sharing, very useful info for newbies trying this fish out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver View Post
Hi bros, any major differences btw a Altum and a common Angelfish? Am just curious cos find tat Altums are more slender and fins are much longer tat's abt all! Thks...
You'll have to look out for areas like
1) the snout ( altums will have longer snouts compared to other pterophyllum species )
2) they have a more enlongated body top to bottom.
3) a strong tinge of red on the fins with bronze colouration on the body.
4) they have a solid black bar that cuts right through their eyes.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 AM   #25
dermarko
AFC Member

Also can I just check with AA keepers here, normally how long does this AA season last? A month, two, or longer? Any idea those being sold at the LFS, are they harvested from the wild or farm-bred?
dermarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #26
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerling View Post
You'll have to look out for areas like
1) the snout ( altums will have longer snouts compared to other pterophyllum species )
2) they have a more enlongated body top to bottom.
3) a strong tinge of red on the fins with bronze colouration on the body.
4) they have a solid black bar that cuts right through their eyes.

point 3 refer more on juv altums. once they reach adulthood size, the redness on fin is not as brilliant and not as distinct on them. its more of the dot behind the eye and also high blue and red shine on forehead (some will show some wouldn't)
Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #27
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
oh my im sorry to hear that.you are very knowledgable bro (: hope to see you return soon (: i'll go read up more and see if im able to try with a first 5 (:
thanks for all the help and advice! (:
np. just raise question, there are other way way way more experienced bros than me just that they lower profile nia. many bros. how to know? u look at their avatar. they all also have altums as their display pic

quite a few out here...

OIE ALL LAO JIAO! TIME TO WAKE UP AND CONTRIBUTE LAH!!!!! DUN LEAVE ME ALONE LEH!!!! hahahahahaha
Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #28
armageddon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermarko View Post
Also can I just check with AA keepers here, normally how long does this AA season last? A month, two, or longer? Any idea those being sold at the LFS, are they harvested from the wild or farm-bred?
so far i would say, there is no concrete evidence of farm bred altums. i will prefer to say all are wild caught. that explains the vulnerability of altums to our water and the inability to breed by many across the world. at this stage, farm bred will cost alot more than wild caught.

period can last all the way to nov if lucky.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 AM   #29
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermarko View Post
It usually stretches all the way to dec, but stocks will be more available at the beginning of the season, the duration might change from time to time. Im guessing they are wild caught ones, though the batch last year did look like they were carrying a few batches of bred altums.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #30
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
np. just raise question, there are other way way way more experienced bros than me just that they lower profile nia. many bros. how to know? u look at their avatar. they all also have altums as their display pic

quite a few out here...

OIE ALL LAO JIAO! TIME TO WAKE UP AND CONTRIBUTE LAH!!!!! DUN LEAVE ME ALONE LEH!!!! hahahahahaha
hahaha yeaps some dun even show!i know got one bro has a whole tank of adults with solid colouration.was poisoned by him but till today still dont dare to try.. hahaha
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote