Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 13-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
winkelhock
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
Hi

In my blog stats I saw people coming from here so came to have a look.

Shintaro is a relatively low volume high end Koi breeder, he is well known in Japan, the UK and the USA primarily. He counts Masao Kato, previously chairman of the ZNA, amongst his customers each year. Peter Waddington describes him as a 'living genius in the big wide world of Nishikigoi'.

I was introduced to Masaru Saito, owner of Shintaro, for the first time in April 2007. In October 2007 when I returned to Yamakoshi he invited me into the house for tea. As we entered he introduced me to his wife Hiromi as 'Mark Gardner from KoiChat.com'. KoiChat.com is a primarily UK centric discussion forum I've been running since 2001. I was gobsmacked that he knew me so well!

I stayed in Japan for 6 weeks in October/November 2007 and spent many hours with him and his family.

As you'll see from the blog I has spent a tremendous amount of time with them through 2008. The fact that anyone would want to go and live in Ojiya/Yamakoshi for a year (now to be 4 years) just because of the Nishikigoi takes all the breeders with complete surprise and disbelief. At the same time they have welcomed me with open arms, none more so than Shintaro.

Mark
Hello Mark,

A warm welcome to you and i am really amazed by the contents of your blog,thank you for dropping by,arigato!!

Cheers
winkelhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #22
terence28

Quote:
The fact that anyone would want to go and live in Ojiya/Yamakoshi for a year (now to be 4 years) just because of the Nishikigoi takes all the breeders with complete surprise and disbelief. At the same time they have welcomed me with open arms, none more so than Shintaro.

Mark
hi Mark,

U coming here also took many by surprise & disbelief! I'm pretty surprised that they are willing to impart so much to you and let u share it with the whole world cos i understood that koi breeders only share their knowledge from father to son.

It just blew me away that so much was revealed to the world and it justs makes me appreciate koi even more by understanding how much hard work it takes to produce top quality koi.

I must also comment you on your photography skills, as they say, a picture tells a story, and you have told volumes thru your lenses!

terence
Old 13-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #23
markgardner

Terence

In truth I've only scraped the surface of what they know!

There are other things that I know but have been asked to keep 'secret'. At the end of the day, however much the breeders work together in some respects, in others they are all trying to produce the best Nishikigoi. Of course that's a trust I'll always honour.

On many occasions the breeders themselves are truly amazed when I tell them hobbyists are interested in their day to day lives and all that goes into producing Nishikigoi.

According to my original plan members of this forum would be joining my journey at it's end. In August my 1 year here became 4 years when I was granted a 3 year working visa to stay in Japan.

Many things planned for those 3 years and hopefully a whole lot more to learn and share with Nishikigoi hobbyists the world over.

Thanks for the comments re my photography, and again, thanks to all for your interest in my work.

Mark
Old 14-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #24
terence28

Quote:
According to my original plan members of this forum would be joining my journey at it's end. In August my 1 year here became 4 years when I was granted a 3 year working visa to stay in Japan.

Many things planned for those 3 years and hopefully a whole lot more to learn and share with Nishikigoi hobbyists the world over.
3 more years! Wow! I'm so excited! Looking forward to your coverage on the upcoming All Japan Shinkikai Show. I realised you did not show much of last year's Shinkokai in yr blog.... but i enjoyed your recent koi show pics, not just the individual koi pics but the workers carrying the koi in plastic bags & stuff are really enjoyable.
Old 14-12-2008, 02:29 AM   #25
sgbetta
Senior Dragon

A big welcome to u mark...Very surprise to see u at this forum....Envy u so much for having a chance to stay there
sgbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 01:09 AM   #26
terence28

Mark,

I came across pictires of this young lad in Rinko (Jap version) winning GC at some koi show. Seemed to be a big deal but i cant read any Japanese, so i was left wondering who is this lad, and did he purchase that GC or did his dad buy it? Did he groom the kohaku himself or did Sakai do it for him.

Then now i ran into this lad again in your blog, so I would like to ask if you already found out what i've been wanting to know? And how prestigious is the Wakagoi Show?

Thanks!
Old 16-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #27
markgardner

The All Japan Wakagoi Show is probably the 3rd biggest show in Japan, behind the Tokyo and ZNA All Japan Shows.

With regards the particular Koi.....I don't have any factual info I'm afraid.

The Koi was bred by Sakai and supplied to it's owner by Odakan. If the young guy bought it then he has a big pocket money budget ;-)
Old 16-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #28
terence28

Quote:
The All Japan Wakagoi Show is probably the 3rd biggest show in Japan, behind the Tokyo and ZNA All Japan Shows.

With regards the particular Koi.....I don't have any factual info I'm afraid.

The Koi was bred by Sakai and supplied to it's owner by Odakan. If the young guy bought it then he has a big pocket money budget ;-)
thanks Mark, i guess u are not too impressed either.... hahaha.
Old 16-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #29
markgardner

At the end of the day it's a breeder show.

At all of the breeder show the breeder is the main component, the owner invariably adds the story.

Mark
Old 16-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #30
terence28

Quote:
At the end of the day it's a breeder show.

At all of the breeder show the breeder is the main component, the owner invariably adds the story.

Mark
I suppose, with so many owners leaving their koi with breeders & dealers to groom for shows, the focus is hardly on the owner other than during prize presentation ceremony.

I was wondering... how is the UK koi show scene like? It is more abt hobbyists grooming their koi for shows or do they import koi straight for the show?

In much of Asia, the koi shows are more about buying power than koi raising skills, therefore the hobbyists with limited resources can hardly compete in the larger sizes... This is the main reason I have never submitted any entries in Singapore Koi Shows in all these years.