Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
aroflim

Default Contribution to "Alll you want to know about breeding guppies"

At Fernvale Point this afternoon, we didnt get enough of Lawrence's tips on guppy breeding. He said he shared his secrets many times but people always forgot and asked him same questions again.

So, I start this thread.

Lawrence, please leave notes here for our easy reference.

Same for anyone who has one or two tips to share. Drop your notes here. Anything which work for you is useful to someone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest this format -

Water care

Males selection

Females selection

Fry care

(Please add topics)

Last edited by fireblade; 07-10-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
nev
Senior Dragon

How about various food nutritions? for adult and fries?
nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
aroflim

Water care

Males selection

Females selection

Delivery Ward preparation

Fry care

Pumping your guppy and fry

Food nutritions

Interesting Theory

1. Long Kang theory - Guppies live in long kang, and long kang water flows non-stop, it is like having 100% water change at all time. This supports why Angelo does 100% water change daily. (This theory was shared by Angelo).

2. Pregnant females kept in higher ph water will drop more male fry. (Aroflim tried and was convinced)

Last edited by aroflim; 06-09-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 AM   #4
ryo88
Arofanatic

How to create roundtail or speartail guppies out of triangle tail guppies?
ryo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #5
Lawrence Loh
Dragon

Water care.
I believe alot of ppl are very particular on the water perimeter issue. Fully equip with PH checker, PH up and PH down solution. All sorts of medication.
I had been doing that also when i just started off with guppy. However, i had stop all these things 5 yrs ago.

My water condition is very simple. 3 teaspoonful of aquarium salt and 1 capfull of Nutrafin water conditioner for 45L of water. Aged it with air pump for min of 5 days. For filtration, i used sponge and bottom filter.

I always maintained the water in tip top conditioned i.e about 4 times daily siphoning out of waste and siphoning out of unfinshed food before light off. As you know, waste and left over food will bring up ammonia level thus causing water poisoning.

Just need to top up with conditioned aged water by the end of week.

100% WC by the 3rd week.

Note: Guppy can be with/without salt. It's up to indivual preferrence.

very tire liao.......to be continue...
Lawrence Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
nefish
Dragon

Males selection

Females selection

Fry care

Food nutritions

Genetics?

Treatments for sick guppies?

Quote:
Water care.
I believe alot of ppl are very particular on the water perimeter issue. Fully equip with PH checker, PH up and PH down solution. All sorts of medication.
I had been doing that also when i just started off with guppy. However, i had stop all these things 5 yrs ago.

My water condition is very simple. 3 teaspoonful of aquarium salt and 1 capfull of Nutrafin water conditioner for 45L of water. Aged it with air pump for min of 5 days. For filtration, i used sponge and bottom filter.

I always maintained the water in tip top conditioned i.e about 4 times daily siphoning out of waste and siphoning out of unfinshed food before light off. As you know, waste and left over food will bring up ammonia level thus causing water poisoning.

Just need to top up with conditioned aged water by the end of week.

100% WC by the 3rd week.

Just to add, 100% change when water is cloudy or signs of sick fish.

Note: Guppy can be with/without salt. It's up to individual preferrence.

very tire liao.......to be continue...
Very detailed, must remember hor? Don't forget, it's imp for maintaining your guppies, no more sick fish & for healthy growth. . That's from guru's advice.

Thanks all at the 'kopi session' althought many first met but all like 'old friends' liao.
nefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
haya23busa
Dragon

Master Arofilm, dun stressed my prof Lawrence. Exam ....
Lawrence and Arofilm thanks for sharing here again.

Lawrence: Can i ask normally what is ur PH of ur tank water? Can i aged for 3 days instead of 5 days?

Arofilm: higher PH produce more Male rate. Roughly how high?

Nice meeting all at the kopi session yesterday.
haya23busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
aroflim

Quote:
Originally Posted by haya23busa View Post
Master Arofilm, dun stressed my prof Lawrence. Exam ....

Arofilm: higher PH produce more Male rate. Roughly how high?

Nice meeting all at the kopi session yesterday.
Keeping ph from 7.5 to 8. This was what I did.
Add one coral chip or expose the tank/tub to partial light help to raise ph.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
aroflim

Environment

1. Aroflim - I kept guppies in cool and quiet place. In Singapore, I was not worry about guppies catching cold. They were more likely to fall sick when tank water temperature rised from the long period of exposure to afternoon sun. But I found that at cool place and lack of light, ph would go down. Ideal location for me was cool with some morning sunlight.

Water care

1. Lawrence - My water condition is very simple. 3 teaspoonful of aquarium salt and 1 capfull of Nutrafin water conditioner for 45L of water. Aged it with air pump for min of 5 days. For filtration, i used sponge and bottom filter. I always maintained the water in tip top conditioned i.e about 4 times daily siphoning out of waste and siphoning out of unfinshed food before light off. As you know, waste and left over food will bring up ammonia level thus causing water poisoning. Just need to top up with conditioned aged water by the end of week. 100% WC by the 3rd week. Just to add, 100% change when water is cloudy or signs of sick fish. Note: Guppy can be with/without salt. It's up to individual preferrence.

Males selection

Females selection

1. Aroflim - I put pregnant female in round plastic tub filled with lot of floating plants and closed with a lid to prevent her from jumping out. Cut a big hole at the center of the lid for ease of feeding (she wont jump through the hole). She took about one or two days to settle down. I put the round tub next to the guppy tank so she could see other fish. Being alone was scarely I supposed. She was unlikely to jump in a round tub as she could go round.

Fry care

Food nutritions

Genetics

Treatments for sick guppies

Interesting Theory

1. Long Kang theory - Guppies live in long kang, and long kang water flows non-stop, it is like having 100% water change at all time. This supports why Angelo does 100% water change daily. (This theory was shared by Angelo).

2. Pregnant females kept in higher ph water will drop more male fry.
Aroflim - I tried and was convinced. I kept ph in the range of 7.5 to 8. I used coral chip or exposed the tank/tub to partial sunlight to raise ph.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #10
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Environment

1. Aroflim - I kept guppies in cool and quiet place. In Singapore, I was not worry about guppies catching cold. They were more likely to fall sick when tank water temperature rised from the long period of exposure to afternoon sun. But I found that at cool place and lack of light, ph would go down. Ideal location for me was cool with some morning sunlight.

Water care

1. Lawrence - My water condition is very simple. 3 teaspoonful of aquarium salt and 1 capfull of Nutrafin water conditioner for 45L of water. Aged it with air pump for min of 5 days. For filtration, i used sponge and bottom filter. I always maintained the water in tip top conditioned i.e about 4 times daily siphoning out of waste and siphoning out of unfinshed food before light off. As you know, waste and left over food will bring up ammonia level thus causing water poisoning. Just need to top up with conditioned aged water by the end of week. 100% WC by the 3rd week. Just to add, 100% change when water is cloudy or signs of sick fish. Note: Guppy can be with/without salt. It's up to individual preferrence.

Males selection

Females selection

1. Aroflim - I put pregnant female in round plastic tub filled with lot of floating plants and closed with a lid to prevent her from jumping out. Cut a big hole at the center of the lid for ease of feeding (she wont jump through the hole). She took about one or two days to settle down. I put the round tub next to the guppy tank so she could see other fish. Being alone was scarely I supposed. She was unlikely to jump in a round tub as she could go round.

Fry care (learned from Prof Lawrence, pls correct of wrong)
- Not advisable to mix different broods together
- Food can be daphnia and tubifex

Food nutritions

Genetics

Treatments for sick guppies

Interesting Theory

2. Pregnant females kept in higher ph water will drop more male fry.
Aroflim - I tried and was convinced. I kept ph in the range of 7.5 to 8. I used coral chip or exposed the tank/tub to partial sunlight to raise ph.
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote