Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 06-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
aroflim

Default Contribution to "Alll you want to know about breeding guppies"

At Fernvale Point this afternoon, we didnt get enough of Lawrence's tips on guppy breeding. He said he shared his secrets many times but people always forgot and asked him same questions again.

So, I start this thread.

Lawrence, please leave notes here for our easy reference.

Same for anyone who has one or two tips to share. Drop your notes here. Anything which work for you is useful to someone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suggest this format -

Water care

Males selection

Females selection

Fry care

(Please add topics)

Last edited by fireblade; 07-10-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Old 30-09-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
augu3tz
Arofanatic

redcross guppies dying

hi . i am new to here.. but recently i have starting keeping guppies . i have a 2 ft tank which has got a filter .. begining i have got 8 guppies .. which just keep dying and dying ,and after which i bought a few again and they just died..and i cant find the reason why is this happening ..the water in my tank are aged water with anti chlorine added..and i feed then regulary... hope some1 can guide mi on what to do..
thanks.
augu3tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
angelo
Senior Dragon

Default Water (Singapore)

In Singapore, tap water is the safest for guppies. Chlorine, chloramines and ammonia are added. The purpose of adding ammonia is to make the chloramines more stable.

Chlorine will evaporate when water is allowed to sit overnight. This process can be speed up by the use of aeration or adding anti-chlorine solution.

Chloramines can only be removed with anti-chloramines solution.

Ammonia can be removed by some of the water conditioner.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
angelo
Senior Dragon

Default Nitrogen Cycle

Ammonia (NH3) or ammonium (NH4) is produced from the breakdown of protein and is excreted through the gills (urine). NH3 or NH4 is also produced from decaying feces, food and, dead bodies, and decomposing plants. Ammonia is converted into nitrite (NO2) by Nitrosomonas (helpful bacteria). In turn, Nitrite is further oxidized by Nitrobacter bacteria into Nitrate (NO3). This aerobic process uses oxygen (O2).
Old 04-10-2008, 01:59 AM   #5
angelo
Senior Dragon

Default Salt and minerals (freshwater)

Salt and minerals are important for biological functions. In freshwater, the concentration is much higher within the fish’s body than surrounding water. With the understanding of the process of diffusion, the salt and minerals will move out and water will move into the body. The excretory system must get rid excess water and retain salt and minerals. On average, Freshwater fish has bigger kidney and urine more as compare to saltwater fish of the same size.

Question 1: Removing fish feces will prevent NH3 and NH4 build-up?
Question 2: Guppy needs salt?

Last edited by angelo; 04-10-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
angelo
Senior Dragon

Default Water Change

Guppies can live without water change for sometime. However, this will subject them to higher risk in disease outbreak. Such as fin and grill issues. Maintaining high quality water will keep the guppies health at tip top. Guppy fry need more water changes than adult guppies because of higher frequency of feeding. Water change will enable fry to reach their best potential size faster.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
aroflim

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo View Post
Salt and minerals are important for biological functions. In freshwater, the concentration is much higher within the fish’s body than surrounding water. With the understanding of the process of diffusion, the salt and minerals will move out and water will move into the body. The excretory system must get rid excess water and retain salt and minerals. On average, Freshwater fish has bigger kidney and urine more as compare to saltwater fish of the same size.

Question 1: Removing fish feces will prevent NH3 and NH4 build-up?
Question 2: Guppy needs salt?
Let me try.

1. Removing fish faeces do not prevent ammonia from building up as fish urine too. NH3 and NH4 build up only when nitrogen cycle kick in. without a working filter, you have only ammonia and no NH3 and NH4.

2. Don't know whether the guppy needs extra salt from us or not, at least not from me. They took what was naturally available in the water and I thought they were doing fine.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
nev
Senior Dragon

How about various food nutritions? for adult and fries?
nev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 PM   #9
aroflim

Water care

Males selection

Females selection

Delivery Ward preparation

Fry care

Pumping your guppy and fry

Food nutritions

Interesting Theory

1. Long Kang theory - Guppies live in long kang, and long kang water flows non-stop, it is like having 100% water change at all time. This supports why Angelo does 100% water change daily. (This theory was shared by Angelo).

2. Pregnant females kept in higher ph water will drop more male fry. (Aroflim tried and was convinced)

Last edited by aroflim; 06-09-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 AM   #10
ryo88
Arofanatic

How to create roundtail or speartail guppies out of triangle tail guppies?
ryo88 is offline   Reply With Quote