Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
jasonchua1982

Default "Fleas" in my Discus Tank

Wonder if any bros out there experience this.....I realized there are alot of water fleas look alike in my tank, especially near the Discus' poo....the size and color is almost the same as bbs (whitish and very small), but they are able to skip around....during WC, I have tried to suck them all off but soon they came back again.....so far there is no damage done to the Discus's health....wonder if they are harmful and how I can get rid of them....hope the seniors can kindly advise....thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
tridentdiscus
Dragon

Jason,
I think those are white worms. One of my tank have been plagued by these before. Hard to get rid off, the medication I bought to rid these white worms almost kill off my discus. Best solution, remove the discus and soak the tank in bleach, let it soak for a day or 2, drain it and let it dry out for another 2-3 days.
Good luck
Richard
tridentdiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
lancerevo
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonchua1982 View Post
Wonder if any bros out there experience this.....I realized there are alot of water fleas look alike in my tank, especially near the Discus' poo....the size and color is almost the same as bbs (whitish and very small), but they are able to skip around....during WC, I have tried to suck them all off but soon they came back again.....so far there is no damage done to the Discus's health....wonder if they are harmful and how I can get rid of them....hope the seniors can kindly advise....thanks
Bro

I used to have this in my tanks. They are harmless. It is just that u feed too much and the uneaten food rots. Ar u using OHF?
lancerevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Pikapig
Dragon

just change water n it will be gone le...do like 80% change...

water no gd....do u use sand or pebbles as rock bed? if yes...u will always see this
Pikapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
HappyGoLucky
Dragon

Alternative is to do water change and add high dosage of salt since this white worm are pretty sensitive to it. Else just get a sucker fish/ normal pleco..
HappyGoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
AngryMan
Senior Dragon

Default Discus

Agree with you brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Alternative is to do water change and add high dosage of salt since this white worm are pretty sensitive to it. Else just get a sucker fish/ normal pleco..
AngryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
jasonchua1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky View Post
Thanks bro, I tried putting some shrimps in, but they become food for the Discus instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapig View Post
just change water n it will be gone le...do like 80% change...

water no gd....do u use sand or pebbles as rock bed? if yes...u will always see this
Nope, me using bare tank, thanks for your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerevo View Post
Bro

I used to have this in my tanks. They are harmless. It is just that u feed too much and the uneaten food rots. Ar u using OHF?
Thanks bro, I am using sponge filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridentdiscus View Post
Jason,
I think those are white worms. One of my tank have been plagued by these before. Hard to get rid off, the medication I bought to rid these white worms almost kill off my discus. Best solution, remove the discus and soak the tank in bleach, let it soak for a day or 2, drain it and let it dry out for another 2-3 days.
Good luck
Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
Agree with you brother.
Thanks for all the advices
Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
D|n0
Dragon

jus take out the sponge and wash it then bake under the sun....

then wash the tank and do 100% wc.....shld do the job...
D|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
kelvtam

I don't know about discus but those are Altum's favourite food. And I am pretty a few hungry ones will clear off the lil buggers in no time. And the good news is the altum should be compatible with discus.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
godprint

u can get some smaller fish to eat up the worms... i know guppies do eat.
or else. dose salt like HGL suggested.