Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 01-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #71
CoolPix
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fish
it's always a big risk when a very small koi is purchased. the recommend size for a guaranteed koi is 35 to 45 cm.

i have a koi videa showing how breeder culled koi even at 6cm. they've very sharp eyes for potential koi and those small ones that u've purchased are the ones that may have been culled.

Just my 2 cents
Totally agreed with you. Buying small kois can be risky cos the coloration and body conformation will not be developed. I had few bad experiences. Eg. ever bought few Tancho and as they grow, the tancho disappeared.
CoolPix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #72
terence28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericna
wow I thought koi can live up quite a long age.
i thought so too.... in japan also hard to find koi above 12yrs old...

My oldest Ochiba 92cm just died 2months back at 7yrs old...
Old 01-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #73
arorules

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28
i thought so too.... in japan also hard to find koi above 12yrs old...

My oldest Ochiba 92cm just died 2months back at 7yrs old...

u live telok kurau? i live joo chiat !! haha

dragon fish:I have kept koi for abt 4 years? all started when i requested for pond...
Old 01-08-2005, 07:45 PM   #74
whiteice

Hi all,

Just took pics of my Koi after neglecting them for some time. My place will be due for renovation and so these are the last 2 weeks they will be living in their home of 8 years. I plan to downsize the pond to 9 x 6 ft but double the depth to 5 ft. Currently, they are reared in a 17 x 6 x 2 1/2ft tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koi1.jpg (47.4 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg koi2.jpg (48.1 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg feeding.jpg (48.5 KB, 185 views)
Old 01-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #75
arorules

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteice
Hi all,

Just took pics of my Koi after neglecting them for some time. My place will be due for renovation and so these are the last 2 weeks they will be living in their home of 8 years. I plan to downsize the pond to 9 x 6 ft but double the depth to 5 ft. Currently, they are reared in a 17 x 6 x 2 1/2ft tank.

are these thai kois?!?

.... .... sorry but i only like the black showa...
Old 01-08-2005, 08:15 PM   #76
Dragon Fish
Dragon

dragon fish:I have kept koi for abt 4 years? all started when i requested for pond...[/QUOTE]

since u've kept kois for 4 years and u're only 14.

please enlighten me how u could tell that those koi in whiteice post are thai's...

Cheers
Dragon Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #77
whiteice

Quote:
Originally Posted by arorules
are these thai kois?!?

.... .... sorry but i only like the black showa...
OMG, are they that bad? All of them are jap many of which are from Nippon. When I bought them 8 years ago, never even heard of Thai Kois in the market. Only Jap and Taiwanese (from market) and maybe malaysian.

The Golden Orgon was bought for 600 when it was 1 ft long. Came from a japanese farm that prided itself with a pure strain that guranteed that no red spots would appear. If you are conversant with the Golden Orgon, many suffer from red specks that marr the fish. The piece I have was sold with a guarantee that no red specks would appear. Now at ard 2 1/2 ft long, it is still pure golden.

The Black Showa was given to me FOC by the dealer that sold me a Tancho. The Tancho was real nice, the red marking covered nearly the entire head and was resonably round. Body was more white than yellow too. Paid 950 for the tancho but it died the next day it was transfered to my tank due to poor aclimatisation. (Raining that day). Since the dealer was the one who handled the transfer, he gave me the Showo FOC as goodwill.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #78
Dragon Fish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteice
OMG, are they that bad? All of them are jap many of which are from Nippon. When I bought them 8 years ago, never even heard of Thai Kois in the market. Only Jap and Taiwanese (from market) and maybe malaysian.

The Golden Orgon was bought for 600 when it was 1 ft long. Came from a japanese farm that prided itself with a pure strain that guranteed that no red spots would appear. If you are conversant with the Golden Orgon, many suffer from red specks that marr the fish. The piece I have was sold with a guarantee that no red specks would appear. Now at ard 2 1/2 ft long, it is still pure golden.

The Black Showa was given to me FOC by the dealer that sold me a Tancho. The Tancho was real nice, the red marking covered nearly the entire head and was resonably round. Body was more white than yellow too. Paid 950 for the tancho but it died the next day it was transfered to my tank due to poor aclimatisation. (Raining that day). Since the dealer was the one who handled the transfer, he gave me the Showo FOC as goodwill.
I fully agree.

The yamabuki ogon was simply awesome.

The kohaku are solid and the showa was fabulous !!!!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #79
Dragon Fish
Dragon

my collection of chagoi.

Please enjoy :
Old 01-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #80
Dragon Fish
Dragon

My young chagoi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4416.jpg (18.7 KB, 195 views)