Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 15-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #101
alvin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidnoise
My dog goes to serangoon nth. I brought abused dog to sunset way twice also leh. Damn it, too late, hehehe, still can cum out wat as firends mah. Yes I am but nowadays very seldom get involved. sumtimes some friends will ask me to join them for track. will ask if I am going, which day of the week u normally okay to go?
heyhey.. i also want to go leh..can i?
Old 18-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #102
Vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie2000
thks ken for the superb calculation and keeping in focus. lets say 2% of nitrate free water everyday and tat will be 28% of nitrate free water every 2 weeks. which is equivalent to 30% water change every 2 weeks. tat will work out to be a great saving. another assumption is tat the de-nitrator starts operating at a negligible nitrate tank water. tat means we need to do constant and frequent water change before the de-nitrator starts coping with the nitrate load. tat also help to explain why initially we need to "feed" the anearobic bacteria to colonize. thks again for the chance to explain further. it may be old design but its serving me very well .
sorry to bring up this old thread, i was reading in greater details...

based on what you mentioned, i think its based on ur first hypothesis, you are saying that this denitrator can almost do away the 30% water change, but this is on assumption that no more new nitrates form, but in real life, the tank is constantly producing ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the process, i feel that for a denitrator to work successfully, the rate of removal has to be faster than the rate of formation.
Old 18-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #103
tagore

Brother you are correct for the initial portion of development of bacteria colonies. however i think all of us meant that the denitrator's digesters will adjust itself with the bioload produced. The initial feeding was to help kick start the denitrator. without sufficient feed, excess bacteria will starve and die off. hence removal rate will equal rate of formation unless you feed denitrator with cultures once in a while which is good as you will ensure that bb are there with the law of competitive inhibition.
Old 18-03-2005, 02:50 PM   #104
liquidnoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin24
heyhey.. i also want to go leh..can i?
of coz. but we have to when again loh. if u wan msg me ur number i contact u the next time i go track. wats ur ride?
Old 18-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #105
Vil

So you are saying that there will never be a scenario whereby formation rate exceeds removal rate? even with limitations like denitrator volume/size?
Old 18-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #106
liquidnoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vil
So you are saying that there will never be a scenario whereby formation rate exceeds removal rate? even with limitations like denitrator volume/size?
I think there must be an equation to calculate the amount of BB in a cannister. the amount (x) will relate to another equation to the remove of how much nitrate in a volumn with the popultaion. At the moment I dun think there is such study.
But like any engineering math there is always a constant of removing nitrate which can be derived from other equation by another equation.
But i think the total surface area will equate to the max BB. Number of BB relates to removal rate. The BB count also must depend on the survial rate of the BB in a given time and feed. time n feed relate to amount of nitrate produced by the tank population which realtes to the amount of water and population in the tank.
Hope that i didnt confused any1. kekek
Old 18-03-2005, 09:44 PM   #107
orioza

I pretty much figured out how to make the denitrator but how do I connect it to an overhead filter?

If the denitrator outlet could somehow be connected to the pump suction , the output can be filtered before entering the tank.

The denitrator inlet connected at filter outlet, with the excess water overflowing into the tank. This way the clogging of the denitrator can be reduced significantly.

Can anyone figure out how?
Old 18-03-2005, 11:16 PM   #108
tagore

Quote:
Originally Posted by orioza
I pretty much figured out how to make the denitrator but how do I connect it to an overhead filter?

If the denitrator outlet could somehow be connected to the pump suction , the output can be filtered before entering the tank.

The denitrator inlet connected at filter outlet, with the excess water overflowing into the tank. This way the clogging of the denitrator can be reduced significantly.

Can anyone figure out how?
I thought you described it pretty well on how to do it?
same thing outlet of the digester dripping into the OHF.
Old 18-03-2005, 11:24 PM   #109
tagore

http://www.dwscientific.co.uk/images/pdf/pw/pw1.pdf

Interesting readings.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:04 PM   #110
tempest

[QUOTE=archie2000]Pictures and links

Hi i'm a newbie. was wondering if we could have another workshop? thanks