Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #21
goldies

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What to do when getting a 2nd hand tank/tub

Quote:
Originally posted by Ah Thiam
If the overflow hole is cut at the water level or water is filled right up to the brim, rain goes in will come off or overflow almost immediately. No risk of Ph shock.

Outdoor condition, Ph normally is 8 to 9. Even drop a bit, the fishes also won't die lah.
Maybe it depends on the depth of the water? If it is a pond, then the risk is low. But if it is a blue tub and a very heavy rain like in the past months, then maybe there will be a problem?
Old 04-06-2003, 06:49 PM   #22
Ah Thiam

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What to do when getting a 2nd hand tank/tub

Quote:
Originally posted by goldies
Maybe it depends on the depth of the water? If it is a pond, then the risk is low. But if it is a blue tub and a very heavy rain like in the past months, then maybe there will be a problem?
Thats why water level is filled to the brim or at the overflow level. Rain comes down will be wash off or overflown immediately. The heavier the rain, the faster the overflow.

Off course, during raining seasons when it is raining almost everyday, to play safe, add a bit of buffer. This also helps to prevent Ph crash as during rainy seasons, sunlight hours are limited.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:22 AM   #23
goldies

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What to do when getting a 2nd hand tank/tub

Quote:
If the overflow hole is cut at the water level or water is filled right up to the brim, rain goes in will come off or overflow almost immediately. No risk of Ph shock.

Outdoor condition, Ph normally is 8 to 9. Even drop a bit, the fishes also won't die lah.
why is the outdoor water PH 8-9? If we are using tap water, it shd be the same whether it is outdoor or indoor, right?
Old 05-06-2003, 12:30 AM   #24
goldies

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What to do when getting a 2nd hand tank/tub

Quote:
Thats why water level is filled to the brim or at the overflow level. Rain comes down will be wash off or overflown immediately. The heavier the rain, the faster the overflow.

Off course, during raining seasons when it is raining almost everyday, to play safe, add a bit of buffer. This also helps to prevent Ph crash as during rainy seasons, sunlight hours are limited.
but how can the rain water flow out of the hole as fast as the rain falls into the tub? and being fluid, the rain will mix with the water. so it will be impossible to know whether those that flow out of the hole is the rain or the tub water??
Old 05-06-2003, 02:02 AM   #25
Ah Thiam

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What to do when getting a 2nd hand tank/tub

Quote:
Originally posted by goldies
why is the outdoor water PH 8-9? If we are using tap water, it shd be the same whether it is outdoor or indoor, right?
Its natural habitat condition that green water condition Ph is 8 to 9. Measure it and you will be able to verify.

Indoor and outdoor conditions are never the same. Do a table of NH 3, No2 & No3 while all others remains constant, You will know what I mean and experienece a whole world of difference in fish keeping. Its difficult to explain in writing.

Interested to find out more, please Pm Me. And rest assured I am not like TCs actors, tok cok only.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:10 AM   #26
Ah Thiam

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What to do when getting a 2nd hand tank/tub

[QUOTE]Originally posted by goldies
but how can the rain water flow out of the hole as fast as the rain falls into the tub? and being fluid, the rain will mix with the water. so it will be impossible to know whether those that flow out of the hole is the rain or the tub water?? [/QUOTE

You have to see it to believe.
Old 25-06-2003, 12:56 PM   #27
goldies

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What to do when getting a 2nd hand tank/tub

Quote:
Its natural habitat condition that green water condition Ph is 8 to 9. Measure it and you will be able to verify.
U mean that even if i'm using tap water, once the water turn green, the ph will be in 8-9 range?
Old 25-06-2003, 05:38 PM   #28
Ah Thiam

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What to do when getting a 2nd hand tank/tub

Last edited by Ah Thiam; 13-10-2003 at 08:54 PM.
Old 27-06-2003, 06:35 PM   #29
egstring

bro Thiam,
i had just bought a 5ft x 3ft fibre tub...
putting at my parents hse backyard...
going to cultivate greenwater and keep ranchu....
i had also drilled a hole near the top for the water to overflow in case it rains....

here are my doubts and questions:

1)is airpump really neccessary??

2)weekly how much water should i change?
Old 28-06-2003, 03:18 AM   #30
Ah Thiam

Last edited by Ah Thiam; 13-10-2003 at 08:51 PM.