Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2005, 09:19 AM   #21
T1KARMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesto
My female started breeding at around 12"
Did you get any pups ?

and was it a motoro ?

what size was the male ?

its good to see so many people are now interested in breeding rays

can you share with us what size tank the rays were in how many males an females you had in the tank and what the water parameters were

KH ?
GH ?
PH ?
Tenp ?

Old 21-12-2005, 10:47 AM   #22
khoo
Arofanatic

I was thinking of keeping freshwater rays and planning to have gravel in the tank. What kind of filtration would one recommend and how thick should the gravel be? Also please advice on the type of gravel rays preferred, I mean in terms of how fine the sand will be.

Thanks.
Old 21-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #23
SteNz

hi, i have a Motoro ray..but the side of the discs have whitish stuff..is it chlorine burn?how long will it take to recover fully?thanks

Old 21-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #24
liquidnoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN
i dont know for sure as i have never bred rays myself but the size of the male is not that important it all depends on the size of his tools

i dont think a female motoro would be ready to breed until she gets to 14-16inch disk

if you are starting off with small rays is normally best to get a much smaller male than the female as then he wont be ready to breed before her and rip her to bits trying
BTW i have seen ray lesser then 10" have babies

Old 21-12-2005, 01:53 PM   #25
liquidnoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoo
I was thinking of keeping freshwater rays and planning to have gravel in the tank. What kind of filtration would one recommend and how thick should the gravel be? Also please advice on the type of gravel rays preferred, I mean in terms of how fine the sand will be.

Thanks.
please allow me to help with my limited knowledge.
For ray tank what I have read is min 0.4 ~ 1".
but i think most that I have read is 0.5" think.
get very fine sand and not silicane (forgot hoe to spell). If can get riverbead sand den its good.
sand must nt be shrap edge type coz it will hurt the unbelly of the ray.
filteration must be oversize coz ray product alot of waste.. normally ppl use sump system. But i m nt

Old 21-12-2005, 01:54 PM   #26
liquidnoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteNz
hi, i have a Motoro ray..but the side of the discs have whitish stuff..is it chlorine burn?how long will it take to recover fully?thanks
for mine its more like bite marks from the male. normally a few wks it will grow. but for tail once gone means gone. only the disc will grow back

Old 21-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #27
liquidnoise

i observe my ray are getting aggressive during feeding. My feamle especially. normally only the male will swim up to grab the bf or SW now. the female does itr more.
the femal hump seems bigger as well. can it be? could it be? but i think it cun be

Old 21-12-2005, 02:16 PM   #28
farish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidnoise
i observe my ray are getting aggressive during feeding. My feamle especially. normally only the male will swim up to grab the bf or SW now. the female does itr more.
the femal hump seems bigger as well. can it be? could it be? but i think it cun be

gd for u bro, hopfully female conditioning herself for breed? how big ur ray?
Old 21-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #29
T1KARMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoo

Thanks.
with ray their will always be a bare part of youe tank as they are always moving the gravel around they enjoy it

with the sand or gravel its not hard to keep clean as the rays are turning over the gravel all the time the crap gets kicked up making it much easyeir for the filters to pick up

if the ray is strong and healthy their will never be any left over food the rays will find it

i use the very fine small pebble gravel as long as it smooth sand is also good but i dont like the way it sticks to rays disks

Old 21-12-2005, 07:18 PM   #30
T1KARMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidnoise
motoros are the most agressive of rays along with pearls

Closed Thread