Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 11-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #31
heroluvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly_sg
I guess thats the one. Take a look at Eheim Website to comfirm or you can take a picture for us to help
yah, my OHF is dolphin 808. the box like cant put much filter media in leh.
now got eheim suubstrate and 2 layers of cotton wool, enuf?
yesterday i put the GEOLIQUIDS for goldfish and koi in, can?
Old 12-05-2004, 02:01 AM   #32
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroluvdisc
yah, my OHF is dolphin 808. the box like cant put much filter media in leh.
now got eheim suubstrate and 2 layers of cotton wool, enuf?
yesterday i put the GEOLIQUIDS for goldfish and koi in, can?
Ya 808 filter box are small, thats why if thats your primary filter then you really need the good stuff ( bio-media ) like bioHome or Ehiem Subtrate. For bio-media if you can afford just using Ehiem Subtrate to cover the whole box ( about 1 ~ 1.5kg ), then don't mix in the ceramic ring. If you want to save some money, then you can mix some CR to the substrate to fill up the volume. Do not use activated carbon, they are not permant material for filters.

Run your filter and then see where is the water mark, (Remember to use the funnel included in the OHF kit, which raises the water level in the OHF box) you can then fill the media up to that mark. Then stack one layer of filter wool over the media. That should do the trick.

GEOLIQUIDS for goldfish and koi can be added, the packaging say that are not chemical base but minerial so I think there is no harm in adding it. I did add GEOLIQUIDS initially when I start out my tank but didn't continue after it finished.

Hopes this helps.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #33
Sotong King

Quote:
GEOLIQUIDS for goldfish and koi can be added, the packaging say that are not chemical base but minerial so I think there is no harm in adding it. I did add GEOLIQUIDS initially when I start out my tank but didn't continue after it finished.

Hopes this helps.
Yeah, $$$ concern with too much additives .
Old 13-05-2004, 12:35 AM   #34
heroluvdisc

Quote:
Ya 808 filter box are small, thats why if thats your primary filter then you really need the good stuff ( bio-media ) like bioHome or Ehiem Subtrate. For bio-media if you can afford just using Ehiem Subtrate to cover the whole box ( about 1 ~ 1.5kg ), then don't mix in the ceramic ring. If you want to save some money, then you can mix some CR to the substrate to fill up the volume. Do not use activated carbon, they are not permant material for filters.

Run your filter and then see where is the water mark, (Remember to use the funnel included in the OHF kit, which raises the water level in the OHF box) you can then fill the media up to that mark. Then stack one layer of filter wool over the media. That should do the trick.

Hopes this helps.
my cotton wool seems to be above water level.
should submerged in water?
now my water is very crystal clear. what caused it? isit the substrate or the GEOLIQUIDS?
so when it will cloud again?
i only has 2 x 6 inches Ranchus in my L36 x W16 x H16 inches tank.
water at 13 inches high.
Will the submerged powerhead overheat the water and caused the ranchus to feel uncomfortable?
any advice, bro dragon?
tks a lot!
Old 13-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #35
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
my cotton wool seems to be above water level.
should submerged in water?
Above water is okay. Actually i perfer it this way, I don't like the idea that the solid poo gets soak in the water permanently, it's disintegrate faster I feel

Quote:
now my water is very crystal clear. what caused it? isit the substrate or the GEOLIQUIDS?
so when it will cloud again?
It could be because the GEOLIQUID cloud the water initially and clears after a few day. Or the BB have manage to established themselves on your media. Both way it's good news It should not cloud again unless something drastic happens. Changing water should also not cloud your water anymore, unless if you dose GEOLIQUID again then you will have to wait a day or two before it clear, the wait should be relatively shorter than the first time you add GEOLIQUID.

Quote:
i only has 2 x 6 inches Ranchus in my L36 x W16 x H16 inches tank. water at 13 inches high. Will the submerged powerhead overheat the water and caused the ranchus to feel uncomfortable?
Sorry but I really can't tell, the best bet would be for you to buy a thermometer to measure the temperature yourself. Anything on or below 28C
should be fine.
Old 13-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #36
Jhansolo

Quote:
That is very good news, but don't draw conclusion to crystal clear water, it might still be bad parameters. I'm sure it helps a lot in the enjoyment of your fish.

As I understood when I saw your tank last week, it is in a cycle, the media you added is at best 2 - 3 weeks to cycle, so continue to monitor.

The other thing I would at to your setup is plants ... nanas is my favorite.

The plants can help in little ways with the parameters, but more importantly it provide cover when the fish is stressed.

Try to change the food you have, as red food equal red poo which makes it very difficult to tell if there's signs of trouble.

Geoliquid is a good thing for me so far.
Old 14-05-2004, 02:30 AM   #37
heroluvdisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhansolo
That is very good news, but don't draw conclusion to crystal clear water, it might still be bad parameters. I'm sure it helps a lot in the enjoyment of your fish.

As I understood when I saw your tank last week, it is in a cycle, the media you added is at best 2 - 3 weeks to cycle, so continue to monitor.

The other thing I would at to your setup is plants ... nanas is my favorite.

The plants can help in little ways with the parameters, but more importantly it provide cover when the fish is stressed.

Try to change the food you have, as red food equal red poo which makes it very difficult to tell if there's signs of trouble.

Geoliquid is a good thing for me so far.
tks bro for advice.