Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 29-04-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Freshman
Dragon

Default IOS for goldfish

Hello..
any bro here using IOS tank for goldfish?

underflow or overflow better?
pls advise
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 11:51 PM   #2
MeRcY

Yo bro, I'm using IOS for my GFs but I think the heat from the pump is causing high temp for my water. But my GFs seems no problem and no sickness from the high temp.

Compare with my Aro tank which is also using IOS with the same setup, my GF tank which only house 5 GFs is much more dirty I'm currently using the under and overflow system.

Cheers
Mercy
Old 30-04-2004, 11:48 AM   #3
leorianto

I am using 5x2x2ft IOS.. I keep the rule of 10G of water per GF (I have 9 GF and 2 Plecos).. no hassles.. clean water... and I only on my filtration after office until the next morning... in the day time, I only on the air bubble..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman
Hello..
any bro here using IOS tank for goldfish?

underflow or overflow better?
pls advise
Old 30-04-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorianto
I am using 5x2x2ft IOS.. I keep the rule of 10G of water per GF (I have 9 GF and 2 Plecos).. no hassles.. clean water... and I only on my filtration after office until the next morning... in the day time, I only on the air bubble..
Firstly you might want to remove you 2 pleco, as they might give your goldfish problems in the near future.

Can you tell me how often you change water and do you have a nitrate reading of your tank before water change?
Old 30-04-2004, 12:15 PM   #5
samanosuke

overflow is much better than underflow as u don had to brainstorming how to clean the glass between the water flow to your filter
Old 30-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #6
leorianto

Yep, once those plecos get bigger, I will replace them with a kiddie and make those adult pleco retire inside a pond.

I am not a very hi tech person. I just change the water 30% on a weekly regular basis. Inside my IOS, I have 0.5kg of Bioring, some coral stones and small quantity of Zeolite. On a weekly water changes, I will add 2 spoonful of aquarium salt. Once a month, 2 days before water changes, I will add some very thin solution to treat fungus, bacterias.. (green, blue and purple solution from Aquadine)...

I only feed those GF twice a day two teaspoonfuls of pellets each time.. My tank has been stabilised for more than 6 months already.. My biggest Black Oranda is measuring ard 17 presently follow by 15cm Full Orange Ranchu and 13cm Orange Cap Ranchu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly_sg
Firstly you might want to remove you 2 pleco, as they might give your goldfish problems in the near future.

Can you tell me how often you change water and do you have a nitrate reading of your tank before water change?
Old 30-04-2004, 04:02 PM   #7
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
I am not a very hi tech person. I just change the water 30% on a weekly regular basis. Inside my IOS, I have 0.5kg of Bioring, some coral stones and small quantity of Zeolite. On a weekly water changes, I will add 2 spoonful of aquarium salt. Once a month, 2 days before water changes, I will add some very thin solution to treat fungus, bacterias.. (green, blue and purple solution from Aquadine)...
Actually my intention of the previous question is to ascertain if the process of switching off of your filtration ( during office hours ) for more than 8 hours has any effect on the accummulation rate of Nitrate wthin your system.
Old 30-04-2004, 04:20 PM   #8
leorianto

hehehe.. OIC.. We can control the nitrat and amonia level by not to overpopulated the tank loh (10Gallon/fish) then also control the food intakes.. just give them sufficient pellets will do already.. they dont have a stomach.. if you give them too much food, they will go out directly from anus indigested subsequently foul your water...

Keeping GF is as easy as ABC now.. I used to have lotta headaches.. my GF always die.. hehe..
Old 30-04-2004, 06:56 PM   #9
Freshman
Dragon

Quote:
hehehe.. OIC.. We can control the nitrat and amonia level by not to overpopulated the tank loh (10Gallon/fish) then also control the food intakes.. just give them sufficient pellets will do already.. they dont have a stomach.. if you give them too much food, they will go out directly from anus indigested subsequently foul your water...

Keeping GF is as easy as ABC now.. I used to have lotta headaches.. my GF always die.. hehe..

Hi bro..
thanks for the reply...
maybe a reading of ur ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH will tell us more of ur practice of switching of the filter during office hr...

ur style very unique leh.... do hope to hear more abt it..
Old 30-04-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
Freshman
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanosuke
overflow is much better than underflow as u don had to brainstorming how to clean the glass between the water flow to your filter
thanks for replying..

y pple use underflow??