Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 22-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #11
miracleman

bro, my condolences.. hope ur more successful in future.. juz visited pasir ris farmway. L35 i think.. the ranchu there, imo quite nice and quite cheap, for that size. think its new one.. cuz last time didn't see them there.
Old 22-03-2004, 07:17 PM   #12
arserulez

thx bros Jhansolo and miracleman for ur condolences. i will not give up on gf cos i think they are very nice creatures. everytime i c them rushing to the side of the tank whenever i walk near, in anticipation of fd juz makes me feel so happy that they recognise me...however they are very fragile n i guess i need to take alot more care in rearing them....

bro gtohow, i change 1 pail of water every3-5days.... the reason why i did a 80% change was cos of the very cloudy water....i guess i was juz eager to get rid of the cloudy water asap, who knows it will have such a disastrous outcome.... sigh.....
Old 22-03-2004, 07:19 PM   #13
arserulez

Unhappy in memory of my gf

my fav ranchu

my fav pic
Old 22-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #14
Grossmann

Sorry to hear that Bro, Dun be taken back by the mishap.

Learn from the mistakes and carry on from there..

Cheer up..
Old 22-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #15
arserulez

Quote:
Originally posted by Grossmann
Sorry to hear that Bro, Dun be taken back by the mishap.

Learn from the mistakes and carry on from there..

Cheer up..
thx bro....
Old 22-03-2004, 07:25 PM   #16
Grossmann

Quote:
Originally posted by arserulez
thx bro....
Old 22-03-2004, 07:26 PM   #17
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
bro, how can the water quality change for the worse when i just did a waterchange?

now that u mentioned it, i did add melafix after changing the water cos other than the cloudy water, 2 of the gf had cloudy eyes. will it kill BB? i only know yellow powder to kill BB, but didnt know melafix will do the same.

but u did mention that cloudy water is a sign of failure of bio filtration, if i intepret it correctly, what u mean is

melafix=>bio filtration failure=>cloudy water=>high ammonia levels=>gf die

but what i did was this

cloudy water=>80%water change=>melafix=>bio filtration failure???=>gf die

is the cause-effect for what i did the same as what u described?
I am not sure if melafix kills BB, you gotta check the instructions and caution note on the bottle to see if it does.

I believe the process is like that instead.

BB starts to crash => Water cloudy + Ammonia accum ( increase in problem with fishes, fish weak ) => 80% water change + meladfix => Bio filtration total failure ( may or may not be due to melafix )=> Ammonia increase + weak fish => goldfish dies

Actually this may not be even close to what really happened, it just a scenario I believed might have happen.

Another thing, is that you need to be sure you change close to 80% water ? Reason is because if you have change less than 70% and if the initial parameter has very low pH and very high Ammonia, any water change that does not remove enough Ammonia yet raise pH will be disastrous , thats why I often advise 80% or more for water change whenever problem starts to brew in a goldfish tank.

There is a corelation between pH vs Ammonia level ( NH3 - dangerous & NH4 - Non toxic ). Below are some reading if you're interested on this topic.

Read this and this.

I hopes the above helps.
Old 22-03-2004, 08:52 PM   #18
eggy_ranchu

melafix won't kill bb. i often put twice the recommended dose and the fish still ok. also i often change 90% of water stright from the tap then add anti chlorine after the tap water already in the tank but the fish also ok. for sure the non-soaked activated carbon was not the cause of death. there might be something else in the water. this is just what i think went wrong: the tap water that u use might change drasticly in qualit, for example stronger chlorine or other chemical contain.

what did u use to change water? bucket or hose? one time i change water using bucket that was being used for washing clothes with detergent, the leftover detergent might mix with new water and poison your fish. i am quite sure that it was water problem coz your fish died with heavy slime. fish only produce slime to make barrier to protect their body from strange element in the water.

try to double the dose of anti-chlorine when change water to be on safe side. anyway overdose of anti-chlorine will not harm the fish or bb.
Old 22-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #19
gtohow
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
thx bros Jhansolo and miracleman for ur condolences. i will not give up on gf cos i think they are very nice creatures. everytime i c them rushing to the side of the tank whenever i walk near, in anticipation of fd juz makes me feel so happy that they recognise me...however they are very fragile n i guess i need to take alot more care in rearing them....

bro gtohow, i change 1 pail of water every3-5days.... the reason why i did a 80% change was cos of the very cloudy water....i guess i was juz eager to get rid of the cloudy water asap, who knows it will have such a disastrous outcome.... sigh.....
wat filter ur u using? and how often did u feed them? very cloudy water... hmmm... feel something not right...
gtohow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2004, 09:38 PM   #20
Iori

Default Re: whole population wiped out!

Quote:
hi bros,

i came back to hostel at abt mn, and found that my entire population of gf has been wiped out. i left the room on sat afternoon.... they looked ok(pls read below for more info) when i left, but when i came back, i was greeted wif a horrible stench, n i immediately had a bad feeling. true enuff, the whole tank was filled wif murky water and the gf body was decomposed. there was even slime on their body, but dunno its cos of slime that cos their death, or the slime form only after they died. now then got time to air my grievances as i juz finished changing water in the tank n washing the ohf.

b4 i left, i did a 80% water change cos i noticed that the water was very cloudy. i changed the filter wool and activated carbon but left the CR untouched. i changed the activated carbon cos i thought that it might have expired (thus leading to the cloudy water). however i didnt wash/soak the activated carbon b4 using it, cos i was in a rush. on hindsight, i shldnt have done this, but i thot it shld be ok... who knows i come back the next day, my tank become a mass grave? haiz....

juz a qn i'm wondering, is it cos of the fact that i didnt wash/soak the activated carbon that caused their deaths? or cos i changed too much water n caused pH shock (i added salt n antichlorine)?
was another attack of slime the cause of their death, or did slime form only after they died?

feeling very sad now..... if only i was ard, then if got prob start to appear, i might have been able to save them....
Sorry to hear of your losses. Seldom come into this forum but heard of the bad news. Think your 80% water change was the likely culprit. They died from pH shock most likely.