Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 15-02-2012, 01:21 AM   #31
Ian

I just hope that the gf will grow mature and bigger, so the stomach will not squeeze the swim bladder and so, the fish will no longer have SBD

Thank you everyone
Old 20-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #32
dragonfly_sg

Hi Bro, this is a short write up I did from my understanding on swim bladder problem long time ago on AF and other forum. Hopes it helps your understanding of this symptom.

"Description: Swim bladder problem.

There is two different issues when we see a floating or sinking goldfish, like a doctor what we see is the effect(symptoms) but what we want to know is the cause. I have often hear people relate to floating goldfish as suffering from SBD(Swim Bladder Disease), this symptom isn't always related to one cause.

A fish regulate it's buoyancy by inflating it's swim bladder (an air sac in the abdomen responsible for maintaining buoyancy) if the fish needs to be more buoyant and deflates if the fish needs to be less buoyant.

The reason a goldfish floats or sink all the time is because it's swim bladder got blocks or constricted, which makes regulation of gases within the air bubble difficult or impossible. This could be cause by food impaction, taking in too much air, virus or bacteria infection which can inflame the lining of the bladder making it difficult for gases to diffuse across to the through the digestive tract. For the latter the effect of the infection could be permanent, which means that even when the disease is cured, the bladder itself might be deform permanently and cannot regulate gases no more. Once this happen the imbalance becomes permanent, this might lead to secondary issue if the fish body is expose to air (floating) or dragging on the substrate or bottom of the tank (sinking).

Before treatment can be administered, you have to identify what is the cause. Fasting is recommended for the side effect of food impaction. Pre-soaking and non-floating pellets might solve the effect of consuming air when eating. Anti-bacterial medication can be use for bacterial caused infection (usually referred to as SBD). For some virus or bacterial cause after-effect, there is nothing that can be done (as far as I know) for the fish, but hope that it can out grow it.

For floating goldfish, you could try feeding it some green peas as it does help at times. I am not sure how green peas chemically solve the problem (occasionally). But my best guess is that the peas kinda act like the water ballast of the ship and aid to keep the fish sinking and up-right."

Old 20-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #33
UnSun

Very good info, dragonfly_sg.
May I add some of my own tips, for anti-inflammatory or bacteria related internal issues I found Metronidazole antibiotics to be quite effective. Even after a "cured", affected fish usually is very sceptical to floating/sinking again when you start feeding them regularly with pellets. One way to overcome this is to make your own fish food (gel food) which consist plenty of veggies, some egg, fish/ prawn meal, wheat germ, wholegrain oats and blended all together and set with agar agar thru' steaming. This way it's much healthy than feeding only peas. (peas use is only for emergency, short term use or minor constipation). This is how I deal with sbp. (swim bladder problems), not sbd which is no cure.
Old 20-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #34
jest1081
Dragon

poke cannot?
initially i tot SB means sunken belly. haha
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #35
Ian

Thanks a lot for all the advices..
Old 28-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #36
Ian

Today, actually just awhile ago, I just fed my goldfishes again. One of them just ate like 2 pellets then it straight away float at the surface of the water. It still can swims to the bottom of the tank or swim around, just when it is relaxing, it will float. So, this is SBD/SBP right?
And since it floats right after I fed 2 pellets, so, is it obvious that it is only due to overfeeding?
So, do I need to do anything extra rather than just fasting it for a day? or few days?

Suggestions and advises please.

Thank you..
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #37
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Today, actually just awhile ago, I just fed my goldfishes again. One of them just ate like 2 pellets then it straight away float at the surface of the water. It still can swims to the bottom of the tank or swim around, just when it is relaxing, it will float. So, this is SBD/SBP right?
And since it floats right after I fed 2 pellets, so, is it obvious that it is only due to overfeeding?
So, do I need to do anything extra rather than just fasting it for a day? or few days?

Suggestions and advises please.

Thank you..
Two thing you can try looking at.

First is soak your pellet before feeding. If possible after it's soak, give it a slight squeeze under water and feed them to your gf. If after eating two soak pellet and the gf doesn't show signs of imbalance, you should maybe change pellets or you gotta soak your pellets before you feed.

It could also be that the gf internal is already a bit "jammed" up. If that's the case then you have to feed lesser on higher frequency. But sometime it couldn't be help, I have hear of people who have goldfish that floats or sink immediately after food, but that goes away after a while (probably food digested). And thing you could try is to feed more greens like crush peas, that would probably give it some weight like a ship ballast. Anyway, if this is the case, only thing is to hope that it outgrow this problem as it grows.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #38
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly_sg View Post
Two thing you can try looking at.

First is soak your pellet before feeding. If possible after it's soak, give it a slight squeeze under water and feed them to your gf. If after eating two soak pellet and the gf doesn't show signs of imbalance, you should maybe change pellets or you gotta soak your pellets before you feed.

It could also be that the gf internal is already a bit "jammed" up. If that's the case then you have to feed lesser on higher frequency. But sometime it couldn't be help, I have hear of people who have goldfish that floats or sink immediately after food, but that goes away after a while (probably food digested). And thing you could try is to feed more greens like crush peas, that would probably give it some weight like a ship ballast. Anyway, if this is the case, only thing is to hope that it outgrow this problem as it grows.
Oh, and you can try the formula that UnSun mentioned above, if the problem is with your pellet. Gel or fresh food will likely have less air in them.