Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 06-08-2003, 06:56 PM   #31
mountain

Quote:
Originally posted by Demekin
LUCK ?? WHAT LUCK ?? It's common for a hobbyists not to check parameters. At least only a handful of hobbyists which religiously perform such tasks.

From what I see, how many fishes has died on you so far before the remainders "luckily" dun die ? How fast are your fish growing ?
hai.. unfortunately, i am one of those who can't afford to check all the water parameters.. reason: some test kits so expensive.. e.g. ammonia test kit.. >$20 rite?? the onli test kit i have is tretra's ph tester and that too is running out
Old 06-08-2003, 10:10 PM   #32
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by mountain
hai.. unfortunately, i am one of those who can't afford to check all the water parameters.. reason: some test kits so expensive.. e.g. ammonia test kit.. >$20 rite?? the onli test kit i have is tretra's ph tester and that too is running out
Hi mountain

Strange that you only test the least important parameter, the pH. I know... NH4/NH3 kit can be quite expensive. Many bros are using the SeaChem AmmoniaAlert meter instead. It costs $12 at various LFS including C328 and Petmart. There's even a cartoon version that costs $10 only. The meter has a life-span of one year making it comparatively cheap to the reagent kit. Do consider saving up for one.

---

Side-track mode: Talking about test kit, I was looking for a KH kit, and I found out to my surpise many neighbourhood LFS don't carry test kit at all. If they do, it's usually just the pH kit. As for the KH kit I was looking for, goosh... even some big LFS don't carry it. Looks like most fish keepers don't need to check their water parameters.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:01 PM   #33
CyberET

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
Side-track mode: Talking about test kit, I was looking for a KH kit, and I found out to my surpise many neighbourhood LFS don't carry test kit at all. If they do, it's usually just the pH kit. As for the KH kit I was looking for, goosh... even some big LFS don't carry it. Looks like most fish keepers don't need to check their water parameters.
KH not that important in a glass tank that changes water often.. you get what i mean? of course its impt, but not as impt as others.. so maybe thats y ppl seldom buy to check for it.. for me i do.. cause stocking level high, must have sufficient buffer, and i don't change water so often for a pond.. water bills expensive le.. with a concrete, and corals, and shells, manage to buffer perfectly at 7.4-7.6..
Old 07-08-2003, 09:24 AM   #34
pine

Darker than the picture, green i think. Dont need alway replace. First time buy two throw in the pond, die one replace one. After that no more die after few years. Then start to buy a few gf put in pond very month. Got quite a lot now, may be more than 50 pcs. Thats why i say i lucky cos only 1 fish die. Design pond 8' X3' X1.5' with water lower height so dont waste too much water if height is higher then need more water. No water change only add some water if see the water get lesser. For viewing have to put inside a glass tank to see, but cannot put too long. After few days the body start to have red marking appearing. So i believe gold fish after all need dirty water the best condition to grow and survive.

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberET
your water green, or brownish green? the picture is bro demekin's green water well, for me at least, i can't afford to keep replacing gfs that die unluckily on me, while i wait for one that has a strong enough immune system, only to die on me unluckily in a year or two.. the only reason i can think of, that you may have better luck then others.. is your setup

i quote from goldfishinfo.com
Old 07-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #35
CyberET

Quote:
Originally posted by pine
Darker than the picture, green i think. Dont need alway replace. First time buy two throw in the pond, die one replace one. After that no more die after few years. Then start to buy a few gf put in pond very month. Got quite a lot now, may be more than 50 pcs. Thats why i say i lucky cos only 1 fish die. Design pond 8' X3' X1.5' with water lower height so dont waste too much water if height is higher then need more water. No water change only add some water if see the water get lesser. For viewing have to put inside a glass tank to see, but cannot put too long. After few days the body start to have red marking appearing. So i believe gold fish after all need dirty water the best condition to grow and survive.
aiya.. the dirty water to u.. is precious green water to others.. which is also the reason y most of your fishes are not going thru what some other unlucky bros r experiecing.. if you were following the forum.. you'll know y try reading this site to get a better understanding now thats what i call lucky.. to be able to maintain green water.. yet don't know anything about it? or are u actually some old experienced guy? don't bluff la.. your saving water technique also save the gf.. they don't do so well in deeper water.. u don't change water.. but add quite alot as outdoor 1ton pond with direct sunlight lose alot of water to evaporation.. after a few days got red marking when you take them out because don't have the green water + sunlight to filter the gf's poo poo.. so it issn't luck in the end actually its the larger surface area that causes higher lose of water.. not deeper water that causes higher evaporation rate..

Last edited by CyberET; 07-08-2003 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:59 AM   #36
mountain

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
Hi mountain

Strange that you only test the least important parameter, the pH. I know... NH4/NH3 kit can be quite expensive. Many bros are using the SeaChem AmmoniaAlert meter instead. It costs $12 at various LFS including C328 and Petmart. There's even a cartoon version that costs $10 only. The meter has a life-span of one year making it comparatively cheap to the reagent kit. Do consider saving up for one.
cheers bro! thx for the recomendation.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:28 AM   #37
pine

Not experience but keeping gold fish for some time already. When first started keeping GF used to change water quite frequent. Water green green looks dirty and also cannot see fish. After change water clear but end up fish always got disease. So stop change water and miracle happen no problem. And it has been since like that for many years no water change. During the early stage also got funny smell and lots of insects. A friend advice make the water move may be can scare the insect away. So put a air stone the cheaper can find(in the 70's) in the pond to make some movement. Surprise no more insects and after a while the smell also gone.
May be like this try and try get the correct way.

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberET
aiya.. the dirty water to u.. is precious green water to others.. which is also the reason y most of your fishes are not going thru what some other unlucky bros r experiecing.. if you were following the forum.. you'll know y try reading this site to get a better understanding now thats what i call lucky.. to be able to maintain green water.. yet don't know anything about it? or are u actually some old experienced guy? don't bluff la.. your saving water technique also save the gf.. they don't do so well in deeper water.. u don't change water.. but add quite alot as outdoor 1ton pond with direct sunlight lose alot of water to evaporation.. after a few days got red marking when you take them out because don't have the green water + sunlight to filter the gf's poo poo.. so it issn't luck in the end actually its the larger surface area that causes higher lose of water.. not deeper water that causes higher evaporation rate..