Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #1
itheemperor80

Default my Planted setup.

hi friends, i just put together this decent lookin setup with the help of a couple of my friends who provided the much needed helpin hands. tank dimensions are 5' x 20" x 14".
it's not complete yet, some equipment are yet to be installed also confused about which foreground plant to go with n not sure about which fishes to add, thinkin about 20 rummynose, 20 cardinal, 20 harlequin rasbora, 10 Otocinclus, some cherry red shrimps and 4 black mollies( for algae) or 70 galaxy rasbora with 10 Otocinclus, some cherry red shrimps and 4 black mollies(will eventually remove the mollies when the tank is mature).
will keep u guys updated with the progress, it's just a day old pics of the tank, feel free to comment n suggest ne thing u feel is right or wrong, it's all welcome, thanks, enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08082009273.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	238003   Click image for larger version

Name:	09082009277.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	238004   Click image for larger version

Name:	09082009279.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	238005   Click image for larger version

Name:	09082009278.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	238006   Click image for larger version

Name:	09082009280.jpg
Views:	851
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	238007  

Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
itheemperor80

this is for the admins or the moderators, please shift my thread to the "AQUASCPING SHOWCASE", m fairly new here and not familier with the site, thanks.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
midori-sg

Nice set up!

However, it seems like you only have strong lights in the center portion? What is your lighting configuration?
Stem plants at the sides may not grow compact and nice and could 'head' towards the center.

For foreground plants, if you have good lighting, use lots of glosso and some echinodorus tenellus at the sides. You can put a bit of tenellus here and there at the midground near wood and rocks to make a more natural appeal too.

Upon looking at the close up, i think your plant mass is not enough. Should consider putting in more of the same plants (stem, blyxa) if you intend to increase amount of lightings.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
itheemperor80

thanks for the praise bro, about the lighting got six 54watts T5HO n yes the lighting is strong in the centre, actually the length of the tube is 4ft n the tank is 5ft, the lights are installed in the centre, even i was planning to do some changes to properly lit the tank.
was thinkin the same about forground but worried about glosso, i've heard that after an year or so glosso can create problems if not properly trimmed. about tenellus n incresing the amount of plants will see what more i can do, thanks.

my tank is still a work in progress, so guys, keep the suggestions coming, thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
midori-sg

Try not to increase the species of plants used but rather the quantity.

i think T5 should be enough for the 14" height tank. Trimming should be done more often at the middle height and you should get a lush mass after 2-3 trims.

Glosso may or may not do well, do try it.

I suggest remove the blyax in the dead center and plant low height plants. This can create a "forest path" and give your aquascape more "depth".
Old 11-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
itheemperor80

too good bro, about the forest path, yes, can try it by removing the blyxa n doin some more planting there to give a path feel.
sry for the corecction the tank's 5ft in length, 20inches in height(which is reduced by 5" cuz of the 3"sand bed, 0.5" of the glass thickness and 1.5" for the water leveling) and 14 inches in depth.
will try both tenellus n glosso, but will have to wait for a week to get these plants.

must tell ya, this my very first attempt for a nature aquarium with full setup like a chiller, co2 kit, proper adda soil(powersand and amozonia2) etc etc. but my friends have had some experience keepin such setups n mantaining them so they r helpin me out but, ne form of assistance from u guys is highly appriciated, thanks.
Old 14-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
jayesh

Well done! I would have preferred a little less clutter and a little more accent though.. Its too early for a planted tank to be commented on, I know. All the best and do post more pics as the tank matures.
Old 25-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
itheemperor80

ok here's some update on how's it goin so far....first will show u some water change in progress... doin 50% water change every 3rd day to avoid algal blooms, also my lights r running only for 6hrs daily.

maintenance guy at work.

got this shit of a reactor which totally failed

will get another one tomorrow, for time being, this is how the co2 is supplied to the tank..

Old 25-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
itheemperor80

co2 cylinder, canister filtel(aquael 500 unimax), atman chiller with eheim 1262 universal pump whose outlet was supposed to go in the reactor n to maintain proper flow in the tank.

u can see here the 1262 outlet from the chiller just flowin without a reactor.

the additives::

Old 25-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
itheemperor80

some more tank shots, pardon me for the poor pic quality, using my mobile cam n also pardon me for so many bubbles in the tank that is because of the co2 reactor not installed properly n the 1262 outlet makin a mess.

thanks for watchin...all comments n suggestions are welcome.