Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 30-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
zeloc87
Mass Seller - Planted/CRS

Default Rounder Ranchus more 'Floaty'?

Dear experts and seniors here,

I was told by several Ranchu sellers (SVR) that when picking younger ranchus should go for "longer" back ones instead of overly round ones with seemingly very big heads as the latter has higher tendency to become "floaty"/ minor sbd etc. even with excellent water change regime and diet. Of course not all round ranchus will become like that, just a tendency to.

I was told those with longer back tend to grow larger too.

I like my ranchus round, but of course, don't want them floating helplessly around the tank. As one LFS owner says (rather cruelly ) "Float ones can throw into long kang straight don't waste time curing" so I'm sure we all want to avoid such cases if possible. Can anyone here share if they have similar experiences?

Thanks in advance = ]
zeloc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
UnSun

What you mentioned are absolutely correct. Those lfs owners are at least honest and they have a point there. Unless you know "exactly" how to deal with floaty problems, it's best to avoid those that are already "fat' at the lfs. Some rounded ones could be females loaded with eggs, so able to sex them is also important or sometimes, worst still they could be harboring internal problems such as worms, internal bacterial or organ failures. This is just a possibility, not a sure thing, so one must exercise his own judgement.

As for me, I usually go for those with good health, overall balance, good swimming and with longer bodies. I avoid those that headstand when stationery, while swimming straight but with head pointing upwards like speed a boat or down like a submarine doing a dive. In other words, I also avoid anything with signs sbp no matter how good they look.
Old 31-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
zeloc87
Mass Seller - Planted/CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
What you mentioned are absolutely correct. Those lfs owners are at least honest and they have a point there. Unless you know "exactly" how to deal with floaty problems, it's best to avoid those that are already "fat' at the lfs.
Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately I've bought quite a few of these "roundies" , but it's alright, learning journey this!

You mentioned "knowing how exactly to deal with the floating problems", could you share with us how to prevent it? Or did you mean fix the problem only after it arises?

Tks in advance!
zeloc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
mediacraze
Dragon

Not all round tend to float.
Important is to monitor their swimming posture and stationary posture.

When swim must be graceful, calm, straight and no awkward when making turn.
When stationary, must be up right, balance, straight and not at an angle.
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
UnSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeloc87 View Post
Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately I've bought quite a few of these "roundies" , but it's alright, learning journey this!

You mentioned "knowing how exactly to deal with the floating problems", could you share with us how to prevent it? Or did you mean fix the problem only after it arises?

Tks in advance!
I'm not saying that you shouldn't be buying them, especially if they are on the cheap but I would not buy an expensive adult fish with an exceptionally big tummy unless it's a female.
I found that small round fish are a lot harder to groom than those slimmer longish ones. Any mistakes even in slight overfeeding will usually tip them over to become floaty. Once that happens they will face a life of misery and it's very difficult to cure as they will always be prone to it in a community tank. Unless you got a shallow outdoor pond with sunlight and algae, then it's a lot easier to treat floaties. In your case feed a variety of food sparingly and allow your fish to grow proportionally rather than just pumping them. Growing the stomach is the easiest, you can achieve that in less than a month.
Old 17-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
bettafish
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnSun View Post
I'm not saying that you shouldn't be buying them, especially if they are on the cheap but I would not buy an expensive adult fish with an exceptionally big tummy unless it's a female.
I found that small round fish are a lot harder to groom than those slimmer longish ones. Any mistakes even in slight overfeeding will usually tip them over to become floaty. Once that happens they will face a life of misery and it's very difficult to cure as they will always be prone to it in a community tank. Unless you got a shallow outdoor pond with sunlight and algae, then it's a lot easier to treat floaties. In your case feed a variety of food sparingly and allow your fish to grow proportionally rather than just pumping them. Growing the stomach is the easiest, you can achieve that in less than a month.
Short posts here, but v interesting n useful info
bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
wllm33
Dragon

as of all shorter bodied fishes, the internal organs also shortened, i.e. the reason for the higher chance to get sbd etc.

guess, if u prefer shorter bodied goldfishes, u should really be very careful abt the food and not cause bloat or digestion issues and not overfeed of course.

Assuming they are not females loaded with eggs, just shortened body/organs.
And of course they are usually slower in growth and size.
But they real cute
wllm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #8
No78
Dragon

Thumbs up

Ok , I got to admit .... I never read this and know about the GF floaty problem .

Good post .
No78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #9
bettafish
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllm33 View Post
as of all shorter bodied fishes, the internal organs also shortened, i.e. the reason for the higher chance to get sbd etc.

guess, if u prefer shorter bodied goldfishes, u should really be very careful abt the food and not cause bloat or digestion issues and not overfeed of course.

Assuming they are not females loaded with eggs, just shortened body/organs.
And of course they are usually slower in growth and size.
But they real cute
Agreed with what much of what u said.
Perhaps when one buys a goldfish, one should think of beginning with the end in mind. The shorter body ones- esp if you're buying gf when young- looks cute n lovely now, but if we want big n fat in future then we should select even young fish accordingly.
bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
longyi
Endangered Dragon

Good info and tips, now will know better to avoid gf with shorter and rounded body................before use to like them alot because they look too cute and chubby.
longyi is offline   Reply With Quote