Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
globalcookie
Dragon

Default You Are Not Equal Beings, Lowly Singaporeans!

George Yeo: We need a ‘transformed’ PAP
By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Thu, May 5, 2011

As he embarked on the "most intense" election campaign in his political career and observed the "outpouring of pent-up emotion" from voters, Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo and his team came to a conclusion: "The PAP must be transformed."

Acknowledging the "resentment against the government", the Minister who is heading the People's Action Party's Aljunied GRC team said, the PAP government needs to exercise "flexibility" in its programmes and treat its citizens as "human beings".

The government needs to learn how to communicate with and engage its people, in particular the young, so that Singaporeans do not feel helpless, he said in a heartfelt address at the party's last rally at Ubi on Thursday evening.

He raised the difficulties and sorrows people face, such as the rising cost of living and health care costs.

He also admitted Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's comments that Aljunied GRC residents who vote for the Workers' Party would have five years to repent had "created greater anger, greater resentment in many people".

However, Minister Yeo pledged his Aljunied team, if elected, would "be your voice in government".

It was a similar message the other Aljunied GRC PAP candidates had for voters -- that they would "listen hard" to the people.

The other candidates in the hotly contested GRC, where the PAP only scraped through with 56.09 per cent of the votes in 2006, are Senior Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Zainul Abidin Rasheed, Minister Lim Hwee Hua, Cynthia Phua and new candidate Ong Ye Kung.

Recounting how a simple two-minute video he recently posted had gone viral, Minister Yeo said he "felt a bit sad" that people were so moved.

"It shows that they crave communication and that they feel that somehow we are talking at them, and not talking to them," he said, pointing out that it is through talking and listening that respect and trust is built.

And even when the party is not always able to solve all problems, it must be able to listen and comfort, he noted.

All this would go to creating a "new unity" among Singaporeans, just as the older generations were united in the creation of Singapore with MM Lee, he said.

Minister Yeo noted, the reason for the large crowds at the WP rallies was because the WP acts as a "loudspeaker" for people's grievances. But this creates "negative emotions," he added.

He questioned the WP's "political ambition" in contesting in Aljunied GRC and said their plan outlined for the GRC "means nothing".

He called for a strong mandate from voters so that his team could speak up for them in Parliament.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong also turned up at the PAP rally to show support for the Aljunied GRC team.

He assured the elderly that the PAP would take care of them, and told young voters that the PAP needs to do more to engage them so that they can express their aspirations and contribute to Singapore.

Once again stressing that this election is about the future, PM Lee said, "In fact, these younger Singaporeans, you are our future, we have nurtured you, educated you, prepared you, given you every help to do well, we cherish you, we cheer for you."

He added, "We want you to succeed because Singapore belongs to you. You will be Singapore but you must make Singapore even better what it is today.But we must do much more because with every passing year, this younger generation will take on greater responsibilities and make larger contributions to Singapore."

Separately, at another rally at Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said PM Lee meant every word when he apologised for not meeting people's expectations.

Said DPM Teo: "He sets very high expectations for himself too. And if he cannot fully meet your expectations as Singaporeans, I think he was really disappointed and sorry when he said so."

"Every moment, every minute that he's awake, I know that he carries the burden of Singapore and Singaporeans very heavily on his shoulders. He works very, very hard."

DPM Teo is facing a Singapore Democratic Alliance team in the Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC.

------------------------------
So now they admit they did not treat each and every Singaporeans as HUMAN BEINGS??? Are we animals in their eyes? It appears obvious to me, they regard us as LOWLY BEINGS, UNWORTHY of their attention.

Sorry too late! Repent?? GIVE THEM F**KING FIVE YEARS TO GO REPENT!

So now LHL said "Singapore belongs to you". For once he 'claims' that Singapore belongs to us LOWLY BEINGS and not the them???

DO YOU TRUST WHAT THEY ARE SAYING? Come every 5 years, they said good things, but the next 5 years we lived to see the good for themselves.

George Yeo had better shut his mouth. I felt offended realising we are not equal beings but we are either creatures, parasites or just a nuisance lowly being.

I am even thinking, maybe they shd be denied the 2/3 majority. Just let them win half the seats.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
mictok
Dragon

IMO this is the last speech we hear from him.
mictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
However, Minister Yeo pledged his Aljunied team, if elected, would "be your voice in government".

hahaha... so laughable..
sounds familiar..

they are the ruling party, they should be the ears in goverment.
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
kitsilano

AFC Member

Bro and sis...in this post I mentioned the following....

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...37#post8426337

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsilano View Post
In defence of whoever....for or against PAP/Opposition....only one word after so long trying to understand myself....why all these years I have never been vocal....actually like most Singaporeans...I am "BO Chap" when it comes to politics,....but why now?

This is what I lost over these years especially the last few years. I want to be treated with fair respect that I am a human being. I dont want to be told that a black cat is brown and it is so obvious it is black. I don't want to be fed some goodies to lessen my pain for the short term when in fact the longer term I know more painful.

Hope everybody vote wisely.
Yes I want a Singapore that is SINGAPORE. I want a Singapore Prime Minister who serve the interest of Singaporeans. Please vote wisely.
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
jungle
Senior Dragon

they are learning la, learn from the Opposition !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
hahaha... so laughable..
sounds familiar..

they are the ruling party, they should be the ears in goverment.
jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
redmouthfish

Talking

So PAP has changed their 2011 GE slogan to:

I am Sorry

Too late, next please !
redmouthfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
nicktc
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmouthfish View Post
So PAP has changed their 2011 GE slogan to:

I am Sorry

Too late, next please !
They also say earlier ....

Don't believe everything you see on the press.
nicktc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
Andrew Tan
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
George Yeo: We need a ‘transformed’ PAP
By Alicia Wong | SingaporeScene – Thu, May 5, 2011

He added, "We want you to succeed because Singapore belongs to you. You will be Singapore but you must make Singapore even better what it is today.But we must do much more because with every passing year, this younger generation will take on greater responsibilities and make larger contributions to Singapore."

We dun make million a year but u guys did........who wil be bettter????
Andrew Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
globalcookie
Dragon

We have a government that ENRICH themselves and said it is to prevent corruption. On the other hand, GOH CHOK TONG even said the people have no problem with their pay.

Now they come tell us they want us to succeed as Singapore belongs to us... Who are they kidding????

Reading that news really got me personal/emotionally charged and fuming... I never gotten so charged up before that article... I'm violated!
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Andrew Tan
Senior Dragon

For the pass donkey years they dun care or pretend not to know that we, Singaporen is not happy with their service....untill this few days suddenly they waked up !!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew Tan is offline   Reply With Quote