Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 15-10-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Hobbit6003
Dragon

Default Rules and Regulations of Import of Asian Arowanas into Singapore

Hi all,

To dispel the myth that one can easily bring in asian arowanas here and start trading, I've gotten a email from an official of AVA, who has given me the permission to have it posted here.

So here's the transcript:

To import Asian arowana (Scleropages formosus), a licence to import or
export ornamental fish issued by the AVA is required. The application form
for this licence (Licence to import or export ornamental fish), can be
obtained from the AVA website (www.ava.gov.sg) under 'Application Forms'
section. One of the conditions for application of this licence states that
a government approved premise (e.g. a retail shop) designated for import
and export activities is required prior to application for the licence.
Facilities like quarantine & holding tanks, packing area etc also need to
be in place and shown on the floorplan to be submitted to AVA.

Under AVA's regulations, a licenced holder for the above licence can only
import Asian arowana for re-export purposes. Exception is given to licenced
holder who also has a breeding farm registered with the Convention of
International Trade in Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora (CITES) to
breed the Asian arowana in captivity for commercial purpose. In this case,
the licensee can also import Asian arowanas for local retail trade or
export their farm bred arowana of F2 generation and beyond.

The import and export of Asian arowana requires CITES permits and are
subject to inspection carried out by AVA. In addition, the display and
retail trade of such fish are permitted only in approved premises licensed
by AVA for such purposes.

If you still have any further queries on import or export of Asian arowana,
please do not hesitate to contact me at Tel: 6751 9809.

Regards.

Poh Yew Kwang
Wildlife Regulatory Branch
Import & Export Division
for Director-General, Agri-Food and Veterinary Services
Old 16-10-2003, 02:21 AM   #2
Robo

This is the email reply from the same AVA official to my email to AVA:

Dear Mr Goh,

Thank you for your email dated 16 Mar 2003.

A person exporting aquarium or ornamental fish from Singapore is required to be licensed by the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA). Thereafter, each consignment of fish must be declared and approved by the AVA before exportation. AVA however allows each hobbyist to bring out not more than 50 pieces of Asian arowana (Scleropages formosus) packed in not more than 3 litres (total) of water from Singapore as part of one's carry-on luggage for personal keeping without applying for an export licence and outward declaration permit.

As Asian arowanas are CITES-listed species, it is necessary that you apply for a Singapore CITES permit for export of those fish from the Wildlife Regulatory Branch (CITES) of AVA (Tel 63257348 and Fax 6325 7646).

Additionally, the fish need to be inspected and its tag numbers scanned by an AVA officer on the day of export at either Changi Animal and Plant Quarantine Section (CAPQ) at the Changi Airfreight Centre or Wildlife Regulatory Branch (Ornamental Fish) at AVA Sembawang Research Station at Lorong Chencharu.

If you have any further queries on export of ornamental fish, please do not hesitate to contact me at Tel: 6751 9809. Regards.

Poh Yew Kwang
Senior AVA Officer
Wildlife Regulatory Branch
for Director-General, Agri-Food and Veterinary Services

Old 16-10-2003, 08:21 AM   #3
arofans

A hobbyist can bring 50 aros out of SG in 3L of water without declaration. How about bringing aro into SG ?

Old 17-10-2003, 10:55 AM   #4
Hobbit6003
Dragon

Hi all,

I've clarified with the AVA about packing 50 fishes into a 3L bag, and they said that rule was applied generally to small ornamental fishes.

Below is the question I asked and the answer given by them:

Question: The statement that you can bring out 50 or less asian aros packed in 3L of water, is it true? I can't actually imagine packing 50 aros, however small, into 3L of water.:-). Does this ruling still stand?

Answer:Although we have this ruling for the smaller fish, we would advise hobbyists who wish to bring in dragon fish that they can pack at most 2fish in 3 litres of water.

For your info.

Cheers,

Kenny
Old 17-10-2003, 02:36 PM   #5
arofans

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit6003
Hi all,

I've clarified with the AVA about packing 50 fishes into a 3L bag, and they said that rule was applied generally to small ornamental fishes.

Below is the question I asked and the answer given by them:

Question: The statement that you can bring out 50 or less asian aros packed in 3L of water, is it true? I can't actually imagine packing 50 aros, however small, into 3L of water.:-). Does this ruling still stand?

Answer:Although we have this ruling for the smaller fish, we would advise hobbyists who wish to bring in dragon fish that they can pack at most 2fish in 3 litres of water.

For your info.

Cheers,

Kenny
Hi Kenny,

Can hlp to clarify ? My understanding is this rule applies to hobbyist who try to bring out aros frm SG. Y is it in AVA's reply, "bring in" was mentioned instead.

Old 17-10-2003, 02:40 PM   #6
Hobbit6003
Dragon

Hi arofans,

Now that you pointed it out, you're right, he seemed to talk about bringing in while I asked about bringing them out!

Ok, let me check on this again, thanks for pointing it out!

Cheers,

Kenny
Old 20-10-2003, 01:17 AM   #7
Peking Man

Lightbulb Hobbyist Importing Dragonfish?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit6003
Hi arofans,

Now that you pointed it out, you're right, he seemed to talk about bringing in while I asked about bringing them out!

Ok, let me check on this again, thanks for pointing it out!

Cheers,

Kenny
The only applicable form I see on AVA is the Licence to Import and Export of Ornamental fish. There is no mention anywhere on the site were AN INDIVIDUAL or a hobbyist can import dragonfish without a license from AVA.

So a license establishment still must apply for export permit from Malaysia or Indonesia to import to Singapore. Still pay $170 per consignment S'pore side, don't forget shipping cost also and must have fix/variable expense like medisave so pay again and fish facilites-packing/quarantine and holding - waaah! plenty money. Just to bring in ONE fish for you. No lah! bring in more.

So I Don't see why AVA cannot let Individuals do it themselves, if they want to go through the trouble of selecting the fish there, apply for export permit, wait 3 to 5 days to get export permit, pay for the documents, hand carry it back, let authorities verify Cites import permit, stress of rush home to put fish in tank and see if fish still swimming.

Sounds very cruel to go through all this even if AVA allows Hobbyist, but I doubt without licence.

ps-10 pieces (5 inches RTG in 1 litre bag) 9 survive 24 hr journey.
can one ok! ba bye!

Old 05-11-2003, 01:36 AM   #8
freddylee1

I have call up a Mr Teo from AVA and he told me that Hobbyist still need an import permit from S'pore and a export permit from M'sia or whereever in order to bring in tagged aros for own keeping only.When you reached S'pore checkpoint, the AVA guys will scan it.

For importing for commercial purposes (whether retail or wholesale), you need to have a breeding farm, quarantine facilities etc in order to do so.

But for own keeping, it is ok whether the aro is tagged or not but not for sale. Keeping one or two is ok.Untagged means like you have a pond in your home, throw in a few aros and by chance or miracle they breed, then you can give 1 or two to your friends for own keeping without tagging it's ok. Pls don't smuggle untagged aros into S'pore.

And in order for them to tagged your aros, they must witness the whole breeding process and record it down. You cannot just bring an aro to them and ask them to tag it.

Hope that explains the BRING IN part.

For more info you can call this number 67519847 Mr Teo. (AVA)

Last edited by freddylee1; 05-11-2003 at 09:06 AM.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:48 AM   #9
HPLow

Correct me someone, by reading the postings, I conclude that I am allowed to bring some aros out of Spore(subject to the 3 litre rule) without any documentation except the required CITES permit and the scanning of the fishes by the AVA on the day of departure.(or is there more to that??)

Old 12-11-2003, 11:37 PM   #10
freddylee1

Quote:
Originally posted by HPLow
Correct me someone, by reading the postings, I conclude that I am allowed to bring some aros out of Spore(subject to the 3 litre rule) without any documentation except the required CITES permit and the scanning of the fishes by the AVA on the day of departure.(or is there more to that??)

Better don't conclude anything...
You can call this number for more info.

67519847 - Mr Teo (AVA)