Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 15-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
Mewmender

I belive its juz a name and the actual term for yellow pigmentation would be Euxanthic.

Here's wad I found from the dictionary

Euxanthic:

\Eux*an"thic\a. (Chem.) Having a yellow color; pertaining to, derived from, or resembling, euxanthin.

Euxanthic acid (Chem.), a yellow, crystalline, organic acid, extracted from euxanthin.

I did a search on axanthic and somehow that didnt turn up in the dictionary.. hmm

Old 15-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnchen89
albinism is the total lack of colour pigmentation(melanin) and is a genetic condition, but as you can see the axanthic aro has fully black eyes... which means that it has pigmentation, but the scales are transparent, somewhat like calico goldfish...
I disagree. Albinism has various forms. It need not be a total lack of colour pigmentation. There are differences between oculocutaneous albinism and ocular albinism just to give two examples.

Its quite normal if they have black eyes too. Or for that matter blue eyes or even brown eyes.
Old 15-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewmender
I belive its juz a name and the actual term for yellow pigmentation would be Euxanthic.

Here's wad I found from the dictionary

Euxanthic:

\Eux*an"thic\a. (Chem.) Having a yellow color; pertaining to, derived from, or resembling, euxanthin.

Euxanthic acid (Chem.), a yellow, crystalline, organic acid, extracted from euxanthin.
what they're saying is axanthic is the lack of yellow pigmentation while Euxanthic is the term for yellow pigmentation. Seems like one has while the other has not. But I've really no idea of axanthic being an English word at all.
Old 15-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #14
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed
cant really be sure till the aro is full grown....

havent seen an adult specimen yet.

the yellowish coloration could be due to the age. When young aros look transuculent so the yellowishness could be due to the color of the flesh under the scales which are clear?

or simply that the breed genetics isn't perfected yet.
I thought this is supposed to be a defect ? or do u mean Panda is actually trying to breed this to perfection ?
Old 15-08-2005, 08:18 PM   #15
Mewmender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
what they're saying is axanthic is the lack of yellow pigmentation while Euxanthic is the term for yellow pigmentation. Seems like one has while the other has not. But I've really no idea of axanthic being an English word at all.
It doesnt seem to turn up in the dictionary, however doing a search on the web , I had results of axanthic pythons and Axolotls and the explanation given are as follows , not sure if it applies to aro but here it goes :

"The second kind of albino I will mention is the axanthic albino. It has normal pigment cell migration but is homozygous for the albino gene and the axanthic gene (a/a and ax/ax), meaning it lacks melanophores, xanthophores and iridophores. It is almost white, but becomes yellow with age due to the accumulation of riboflavins from its diet. "

As for albinos
"Phenotype is albino a/a (lacking melanophores). There are many kinds of phenotypically-different albino axolotl. Here are some of them. The first is the golden albino (D/D a/a or D/d a/a). It has normal migration of pigment cells, but lacks melanophores, hence the yellow/gold appearance."

So Axanthic is a form of albinoism ?

Old 15-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #16
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewmender
It doesnt seem to turn up in the dictionary, however doing a search on the web , I had results of axanthic pythons and Axolotls and the explanation given are as follows , not sure if it applies to aro but here it goes :

"The second kind of albino I will mention is the axanthic albino. It has normal pigment cell migration but is homozygous for the albino gene and the axanthic gene (a/a and ax/ax), meaning it lacks melanophores, xanthophores and iridophores. It is almost white, but becomes yellow with age due to the accumulation of riboflavins from its diet. "

As for albinos
"Phenotype is albino a/a (lacking melanophores). There are many kinds of phenotypically-different albino axolotl. Here are some of them. The first is the golden albino (D/D a/a or D/d a/a). It has normal migration of pigment cells, but lacks melanophores, hence the yellow/gold appearance."

So Axanthic is a form of albinoism ?

Really dunno anything abt this term " Axanthic " but the pics shown seems to be those of albinism. Albinism has various degrees. A lot of albino people have poor eyesight but some can see very well. I have an albino classmate, coincidentally named Fong too. He's perfectly normal .
Old 15-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #17
shawnchen89
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
I disagree. Albinism has various forms. It need not be a total lack lack of colour pigmentation. There are differences between oculocutaneous albinism and ocular albinism just to give two examples.

Its quite normal if they have black eyes too. Or for that matter blue eyes or even brown eyes.
those eye got colour wan i thot is leucistic? paiseh... i onli knows that much... thanks for enlightenment..
Old 15-08-2005, 08:40 PM   #18
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnchen89
those eye got colour wan i thot is leucistic? paiseh... i onli knows that much... thanks for enlightenment..
I think u all can enlighten me better

I have never come across this word leucistic

English word ?
Old 15-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #19
Fire87
Dragon

i'd think the panda ones should be Xanthic, instead of Axanthic... which means they have an abnormally high amount of yellow pigments, instead of the lack of it.

Whether these words are english or not, I have no idea though.
Old 15-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #20
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire87
i'd think the panda ones should be Xanthic, instead of Axanthic... which means they have an abnormally high amount of yellow pigments, instead of the lack of it.

Whether these words are english or not, I have no idea though.
plausible .... i know wat's xanthic .... but seriously those aros shown seems to exhibit a certain level of albinism rather than having a single dominant yellow pigment .... the eyes are a sure give away to a genetic defect

by the way, I've been wanting to ask ... are u Dan10's brother ?