NI KI
Arofanatic

M A T C H D A Y

Arsenal @ Anfield in the Carabao Cup

NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #32
NI KI
Arofanatic

'It's painful to say' - How Liverpool gained backing of Manchester United in title battle with Man City

In his four years at the helm, Jurgen Klopp has transformed Liverpool from a team struggling to qualify for Europe to a team which conquered Europe by winning the Champions League in June.

On setting out to turn fans from doubters to believers, the German manager has also earned some high praise from some of the Reds' most bitter rivals.

During their Manchester United playing days the likes of Gary Neville and Roy Keane passionately disliked Liverpool, but now the ex-Red Devils' opinions on their long-time arch nemesis have altered.

Gary Neville - "They have played title winning football for two years"

Speaking in the Sky Sports' studio on Sunday following Liverpool's 2-1 win over Spurs, Neville reluctantly revealed he thinks Liverpool do look like title winners.

He said: "Yeah, I thought during the second half, I was going to say it on air but didn't, about the teams we played in at Manchester United.

"There is a complete trust in this crowd, they are brilliant to watch and they are scintillating.

"I agree with Jamie (Carragher) that there was only one winner at half-time and I thought that at 20 minutes to go.

"They have played title winning football now for two years. You can't compare them to Man City. They are a completely different team.

"They are relentless and they should win a title playing the football and amassing the points they have."

Roy Keane - "They played like champions"

Sat alongside Neville at the weekend was Roy Keane who echoed his former team-mate's admission.

The United legend admitted: "That's what you are doing every week. Man City have put Liverpool under pressure today by getting a good result.

"Liverpool have responded and that is the name of the game. They have to keep going. They will be disappointed to have conceded but they have recovered well.

"You have to keep going. No one is going to hand you the championship. You have to earn the right, week in and week out. Whether you play well or not.

They have grinded the result out today. I think the goals were gifted by Tottenham, poor defending. But over the course of the 90 minutes they were the better team.

"Do you know what, I probably shouldn't say these words, but they played like champions. They responded really well and were by far the better team."

Rio Ferdinand - 'Liverpool are primed for success'

After Liverpool claimed the Champions League title in June, Rio Ferdinand predicted that this could be a period of domination for Liverpool.

Speaking to BT Sport after the 2-0 win, the former England defender said: "Listen, it wasn’t the most entertaining game.

"But we’ve all played in finals and it’s about getting over the line and winning the trophy.

"Not one of them fans, not one of them players, will care how they played today. They got the job done.

"Klopp’s been to many finals and been on the losing side. To get over the line by any means necessary is the way to do it.

"This season they’ve been fantastic, if they’d finish this season without a trophy it would have been a devastating blow for this football club.

"Now this could be the start of a successful period of winning trophies for this club. They’re set up, they’re primed for it."
Old 30-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #33
NI KI
Arofanatic

Louis Saha - 'It is painful to say but Liverpool are a joy to watch'

Former Man United striker Louis Saha also begrudgingly revealed how he enjoys watching Klopp's side play.

Saha, who spent four years on Merseyside playing for Everton, said: "It is painful, but the way that they are doing it is a joy to see.

"If you all winning with dirty football you could say it, but I love football more than being a fan of any one team.

"When I see them play I’m sorry and it is painful to say, but it is a joy to watch because it is attacking football and they play with heart.

"It’s more than just about a region whether it’s Manchester or Liverpool. It is dedication, desire, they work hard, play attacking football and they want to communicate that with the fans.

"I enjoy it and I hope that Manchester United and Everton can replicate it, because that identity is there with Liverpool."

Steve Bruce - 'Liverpool as good as you can get'

In September, after his Newcastle United side were defeated 3-1 at Anfield, Steve Bruce admitted Liverpool are “as good as you can get”.

Bruce, who won three Premier League titles as a player at Old Trafford, said of Klopp's side: "They are as good as you can get.

"You can understand why they haven't been beaten here in two-and-a-half years and are European champions. They are an excellent, excellent team.

"They have pace, creativity and at the top end of the pitch they can damage you. I knew it was going to be difficult, but in fits and starts we did okay.

"Can they win the league? They are going to be there or thereabouts. They only lost once last year and didn't win the league, it's quite unbelievable. They are a very, very good side which will cause any team problems. They are as good as you get. They are fantastic."

Phil Neville - 'They win ugly'

Speaking last December, Phil Neville thought Liverpool would go on to win the Premier League title after a 4-0 Boxing Day rout of Newcastle.

The 42-year-old, who spent 15 years at United, told Gary Lineker on Match of the Day: "I think Liverpool will win the league, I really do.

"They are powerful, they are strong, the squad size and the keeper and Van Dijk have been unbelievable signings. Their defensive aspect is what I think is the biggest difference.

"Van Dijk, for me, is the best centre-half in Europe and the keeper is a big presence. As I said before, they have quality all over. As we all know, there's confidence they seem to be playing with and they win ugly."

Paul Scholes - 'Their style of play is magnificent'

Another Old Trafford icon, Paul Scholes was recently asked who he thought the best manager in the world was out of Klopp and Man City boss Pep Guardiola.

The ex-England midfielder said: "Jurgen Klopp’s a great manager, don’t get me wrong and the football they’re playing and the style of play is magnificent, but I’d still go for Guardiola after what he’s done.

"I’d have Guardiola as number one and Jurgen Klopp as a very close number two."

And Sir Alex Ferguson knew it all along..

"He has done a really good job and revived Liverpool's enthusiasm," Ferguson said of Klopp back in 2016.

"It can happen that big clubs lose it. For two decades, Liverpool changed managers without building their own identity.

"You can now well and truly sense that you have to count them in this year. You can see Klopp's dedication on the sideline, I'm convinced his work in training is similar.

"He's a strong personality. That's absolutely vital at a big club.

"I'm worried about him because the one thing United don't want is Liverpool to get above us."
Old 30-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #34
NI KI
Arofanatic

Default Neco Williams backed as Liverpool youngster prepares for surprise Carabao Cup debut

Neco Williams has been backed to handle the occasion with Liverpool set to hand the youngster a surprise first-team debut tonight.

Williams, an 18-year-old Wales under-19 international, is expected to start at right-back for the Carabao Cup fourth round tie against Arsenal at Anfield.

The teenager has been a regular this season for the U23s side and the U19 team in the UEFA Youth League, scoring in the 4-2 win against RB Salzburg earlier this month.

Williams has spent time training at Melwood in recent weeks, with Jurgen Klopp having been impressed by the young defender.

And with Ki-Jana Hoever on international duty with Holland at the U17 World Cup, the Welshman is now in line for a starting role.

“Neco has been around the under-23s last season and this season,” said under-23 coach Neil Critchley. “He has definitely improved his game.

“You know what you are going to get from Neco. In terms of his behaviours and being competitive all of the time, he is.

“I don't worry about his temperament. He has been a consistent performer now for a season and a bit and he has gone up to Melwood and the first team staff have been really pleased with him.

“He has had a number of training sessions there now and has stayed there and that's an indication they like what they have seen so far.

“Fingers crossed he has some involvement in the game and it will obviously be a fantastic moment for him and his family if that does happen. Hopefully he can go and do justice for himself.”

Williams won't be the only youngster to make his Anfield bow this evening.

Summer signings Sepp van den Berg and Harvey Elliott are expected to start, while Rhian Brewster will begin up front.

Klopp is likely to field a completely different XI to the one that beat Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, with senior players Joe Gomez, James Milner, Naby Keita, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Lallana and Divock Origi all poised to feature.

Caoimhin Kelleher has already been confirmed by assistant boss Pep Lijnders as starting in goal.

Curtis Jones, Leighton Clarkson, Morgan Boyes, Luis Longstaff, Pedro Chirivella and Billy Koumetio all trained at Melwood earlier this week and are hopeful of making the 18-man squad.
Old 31-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #35
NI KI
Arofanatic

Old 31-10-2019, 01:17 AM   #36
NI KI
Arofanatic

The nominees for Globe Soccer Award are: Ajax Amsterdam, Liverpool FC and Olympique Lyonnais Féminin

Old 31-10-2019, 01:21 AM   #37
NI KI
Arofanatic

The nominees for 𝗕𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗗𝗶𝗿𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗼𝗿 Globe Soccer Award are: Andrea Berta, Eric Abidal, Igli Tare, Marc Overmars and Michael Edwards

Old 31-10-2019, 01:22 AM   #38
NI KI
Arofanatic

The nominees for the 𝗕𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗖𝗼𝗮𝗰𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗬𝗲𝗮𝗿 Globe Soccer Award are: Djamel Belmadi, Erik Ten Hag, Fernando Santos, Jürgen Klopp and Massimiliano Allegri

Old 31-10-2019, 01:24 AM   #39
NI KI
Arofanatic

The nominees for 𝗕𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗠𝗲𝗻'𝘀 𝗣𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗬𝗲𝗮𝗿 Globe Soccer Award are: Alisson Becker, Bernardo Silva, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mané and Virgil van Dijk

Old 31-10-2019, 03:36 AM   #40
NI KI
Arofanatic