Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 20-11-2003, 12:46 AM   #1
samyeong

Default Lesson Learnt

I use a hose to change tank water periodically.

Today, as usual, after running the water into the tank I remove the hose from the tap to create water back-flow into the toilet's water-trap.

When I went back to the tank, to my horror, one of my lionheads was stuck on the hose end which was submerged in the tank. It struggled... and struggle.... in the end he successfully swam out of the sucking current, but.... this had left a 'lobang' on its back!!

Blame myself for being so careless..

A painful lesson learnt.
Old 20-11-2003, 02:31 AM   #2
Kawai

Default Re: Lesson Learnt

You might want to isolate that ranchu to treat its injury...

Quote:
Originally posted by samyeong
I use a hose to change tank water periodically.

Today, as usual, after running the water into the tank I remove the hose from the tap to create water back-flow into the toilet's water-trap.

When I went back to the tank, to my horror, one of my lionheads was stuck on the hose end which was submerged in the tank. It struggled... and struggle.... in the end he successfully swam out of the sucking current, but.... this had left a 'lobang' on its back!!

A painful lesson learnt.
Old 20-11-2003, 11:41 AM   #3
miracleman

u know wat.. mebbe u cld like attach a gauze to the opening of one of the hose... then like that more unlikely the fish will b stuck there... i plan to do that.. but so far never encounter this prob.. cuz i aim the hose like.. at the floor of the tank..
Old 20-11-2003, 12:15 PM   #4
dragonfly_sg

Default Re: Lesson Learnt

Quote:

A painful lesson learnt.
Yes, I know how it feels I have been in the same situation once too Now I use an old unwanted muzzle thing from my powerhead and shaft the hose into it, then I let the hose into the tank. The muzzle doesn't drop as it's tight and the suction of the water keeps it inplace too.

Take it easy on yourself, everyone makes mistakes. Just heal the fish and it's be good as new
Old 20-11-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Dark

Default Hi

Hi Bro,

Me too. I am not so luckily, I watch Holland Village while draining water using water hose. Suddenly i switch my focus back to the tank, i saw shiny scale like etc comming out from hose. and i saw one small ranchu missing. I quick got and switch off tape. too late this fellow bleed all over and fin roll and scale drop. swim sideway. I put it to sleep..

I remaind myself next time to do one thing at a time

Nice Day
Old 20-11-2003, 05:10 PM   #6
huizhong

i also encounter this b4... my pearlscale got sucked in b4... then come out from the other end of the hose, the head like distorted and the eyes come off... quite digusting.
Old 20-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #7
droidwork

encounter once of this before... the fish went in the hose then out from the end... but the fish was squeeze or till quite thin...
Old 21-11-2003, 12:57 AM   #8
samyeong

let's don't make the same mistake, bros....
Old 22-11-2003, 04:04 AM   #9
arserulez

Quote:
let's don't make the same mistake, bros....
agreed...

for me, when i change water, i will on the tap, my girlfriend will be at the tank helping me hold onto the hose, ans also to make sure that the goldfish dun get stuck...

bro, maybe u can get someone to help u instead of doing it urself?
Old 22-11-2003, 10:29 AM   #10
Anthen
Dragon

actually i also using hose to drain off part of my tank's water.. my hose got one end with small mesh tie using rubber band.. the mesh u can cut from the fish net.. and tie together.. then ur fish will kena stuck by the strong suction.............
Anthen is offline   Reply With Quote