Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 03-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #11
Razor Wei
Arofanatic

As these are saltwater converted to freshwater fishes, it will need a lot more care probably and may do better with a bit of salinity in the water until it grows into adulthood where they might be able to adapt to freshwater
Razor Wei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #12
Homester
Senior Dragon

I feel that marine converted fishes have this tendency of high casualty rate.

If I not wrong, in their natural habitant, their diets include lion fish or stone fish.
Homester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #13
tuajia
Arofanatic

I think i know which one, i saw also... If i'm not wrong, all frogfishes are marine. That one is definitely "conditioned" to be freshwater, but usually doesn't end well. At the bare minimum should convert it back to at least brackish or most likely they will die (in my own experience)
That's what i did for my "freshwater" moray eels, they were shivering and swimming upside down until i re-conditioned them back to brackish water.
tuajia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
shark
Dragon

nowsday many marine fishes try selling at fresh water... previouly I saw marine pufferfish and target fish... now got frog fish... dont think these fishes will surive long.. at least must be brackish water..

the frogfish that yellow or orange color one is brackish water frogfish.. they eat smaller fishes even double their body size... normally they will feed at night. throw in some guppy or morries and they will eat them one by one slowly...

btw how much u pay for that frog fish?? I wonder the price issit cheaper or more expensive then buying from marine shop?
shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:27 AM   #15
fish-head
Arofanatic

S$90. Still no Eating.
fish-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 08:48 AM   #16
allim
Arofanatic

How big is your tank and is it a bare tank? I have kept marine frog fish before and they do well in a tank that simulates their natural habitat since they have evolved to blend in with their surrounding. They also do not like other intimidating tank mates that they cannot swallow and are fast swimming.

One important thing about handling frog fish is never to lift them out of the water as they will ingress air and gradually die as they could not expel it.

Frog fish need not be fed daily, I used to feed my frog fish twice a week with ghost shrimp or feeders (marine fish would be better). As mentioned by others, the water should at least be brackish.

Hope this information helps.
allim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #17
dannyyeo
Arofanatic

Default frogfish

Used to keep few many years back. It a saltwater converted fish. High chance of dying
dannyyeo is offline   Reply With Quote