Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #101
squawkbox
Arofanatic

Hi Alvin, would you please advise me what is the optimal temperature my chiller should set. My planted tank is 522, with various type of green plants, I noticed plants with other colours other than green did not survive long or just lack luster.
squawkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #102
Shad0w

There are many other variable that make plant healthy, not just temperature. In fact temperature is the most less important as long as it does not go over 30C.

If you can't grow other color plant beside green or if red color plant but turn to green, it is an indication of not enough light.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #103
jest1081
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
There are many other variable that make plant healthy, not just temperature. In fact temperature is the most less important as long as it does not go over 30C.

If you can't grow other color plant beside green or if red color plant but turn to green, it is an indication of not enough light.
agree agree.
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #104
xirus
Arofanatic

but i tot quite a few spieces of plants tat require colder water such as ard 25 to 27 degree? i had try some plants which need colder water n i dun have chiller, they actually so call melt away
xirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #105
Shad0w

What plant are you having trouble with?
Old 14-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #106
jeffteo
Arofanatic

Wow Alvin, didn't know are the admin here. :P
Really hope I can soon start one like your too.
jeffteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #107
xirus
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
What plant are you having trouble with?
i tried hc, et,hairgrass, pogostemon stellatus, all seems to melt away n die
xirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #108
Shad0w

except for pogostemon stellatus, I have tried HC, ET, hairgrass no problem even with temp around 28-30C.

There maybe something wrong with you tank setup. For planted tank you need to have balance between substrate, CO2, light and fertilizer. Temperature not the main concern although it does change how your plant will grow or how the plant will look like. As long as not to high (continuously above 30C), it should not kill your plant especially not the one you mention. My Personal experience, there are only handful of specific plant that can't grow in high temp such as Madagascar Lace Plant (until it proven otherwise ).
Old 15-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #109
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by squawkbox View Post
Hi Alvin, would you please advise me what is the optimal temperature my chiller should set. My planted tank is 522, with various type of green plants, I noticed plants with other colours other than green did not survive long or just lack luster.
Hi squawkbox, I'm not experienced enough honestly to advise on whether the plants fared better. I've set as low as 25.0 and as high as 30.0 (to treat ich the past 10 days). As the Teco chiller is set to kick in with a 1.5 DegC variance, if I set to 25.0, it will fluctuate between 25.0 to 26.5 DegC. Without chiller, my tank corner temperature goes as high as 31 DegC.

I will probably settle at 27.0-28.0 range so as to reduce the kick in in the long term.

I would heed Shad0w's advice as he's stated here regarding the plants though.
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 05:15 PM   #110
Alvin Koh

Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest1081 View Post
aaah maybe its a good idication for you to carpet the fore with just HC.
Hehe, indeed and it may actually be less stressful!.. but I will keep trying again with the UG for now
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote