Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #91
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon
 
EvolutionZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkkie View Post
Haha... i don't like Amanos. Evoz - I thought you were using Malayans?
oh well.. those malayans i bought turns out to be wild cherries.. some were even sakura-red.. paid the price of malayans only.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #92
rodders
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
Hey Rodney! :P I didn't know you were into fishes & long time no see
Just started a while ago. It's more for my son actually so am here to see and learn more stuff. Will catch you at one of the meetups. Cheers.
rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #93
Alvin Koh

Administrator

 
Alvin Koh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,421
Default

Week 9-10 (3 April 2011)

It's been 2 weeks since the filling up of the tank and the tank is not doing too well. Majority of the UG is showing signs of melting/browning. I've added 2 schools of fish into the tank during this period. I will show some contrasts between the progress of the UG from week 9 to 10.

The tank lighting remains at 39w x 2 and the CO2 injection at about 3-5bps. Dosing of macros/micros are on alternate days.


Week 9 - Utricularia Graminifolia

Upon filling up, the leaves of the UG begin to float/erect upwards and by the end of the week, they look just like miniature grass.







-------------------------------

Week 10

Diatoms began to coat some of the plants and the UG seems to be most badly affected - taking on a sickly yellowish color. I spotted algae growing in parts of the tank and immediately started dosing (mixed dry ferts) to keep the algae under control. On hindsight, I started dosing a little late.

The Oto was unable to cleanse the UG leaves of algae/diatoms because they were very delicate, thin and leave clusters made it difficult for the Oto to get into the tight areas.

The UG continued to show decline in health as each plantlet started to melt from root to tip (the darker UG regions are actually transluscent). Although acclimatisation from emersed to submerged is a factor, I cannot firmly ascertain this as the melting seems more widespread - as though the water parameters were off. However, the rest of the plants were thriving.

The only positive news I have, is, my left cluster of UG (2nd pic) gew new leaves and regained some of it's color and began to sprout tiny runner shoots. I hope these new sprouts will adapt to the tank condition and start to spread. As of now, 95% of the UG is practically unusable (no joke!).







-------------------------


Others / Inhabitants

The Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica' is growing - quite a lot larger than I expected and about 3 times the original size. Leaves are about 4cm broad and 15cm long.

I have also added 2 schools of fishes.
1) 4 Golden Pristella Tetras - Pristella maxillaris
2) 20+ Ruby Tetras - Axelrodia riesei

The Ruby Tetras is taking on some color (from pale white), but it's hard to tell if they will take on a deeper shade of colour. Under brighter areas of light, their coloration is barely detectable. The fishes are generally eating well.







Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #94
cher boon
Senior Dragon
 
cher boon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,968
Default

Bro, is beautiful planted set up.
cher boon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #95
jest1081
Dragon
 
jest1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,063
Default

bro,

have you checked the water? i understand that the tank has yet to go thru cycling process.

when you add fishes, you will likely face ammonia issues, at the same time plants are also trying to adapt to new submerged environment.
this could be also the contributing factors to mass death of you plants.

cheers.
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #96
scubabear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

very simple and nice..
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #97
Alvin Koh

Administrator

 
Alvin Koh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher boon View Post
Bro, is beautiful planted set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabear View Post
very simple and nice..
Thanks cher boon and scubabear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest1081 View Post
bro,
have you checked the water? i understand that the tank has yet to go thru cycling process.
when you add fishes, you will likely face ammonia issues, at the same time plants are also trying to adapt to new submerged environment.
this could be also the contributing factors to mass death of you plants.
cheers.
jest1081, you are right to say that. The water parameters based on test kit did not have noticeable changes, but as the diatoms indicated, the tank was about to complete cycling. The outbreak is now controlled by increasing the frequency of water changes (50% daily for the past week instead of every 2-3 days). Unfortunately, 80% of the UG became unrecoverable. The remaining 20% however is bouncing back which gives me great hope . It's been several days now, and there's no longer noticeable occurrence of diatoms or any other algae for that matter.

The UG was just really sensitive and caught me by surprise as other plants were seemingly unaffected. For example - I took some better samples of the affected UG and tried to cultivate them emersed - majority continued to melt completely within the subsequent few days.

In hindsight, as my setup has low plant mass, I should have kept the daily water changes much longer (maybe 2-3 weeks instead of just 1 week) and started dosing much sooner.

I look forward to updating again soon with visible progress and before-after shots
Alvin Koh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #98
aroc2003
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nice setup...
Await nxt update...

Thinking of setting up a 4ft Planted when Altum Angels season start...
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #99
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon
 
EvolutionZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroc2003 View Post
Nice setup...
Await nxt update...

Thinking of setting up a 4ft Planted when Altum Angels season start...
its better to start now bro.. i set up my 422 in jan in preparation of altums already.. since altums need really stable water and it takes months for your tank to become really stable...
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #100
jest1081
Dragon
 
jest1081's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Koh View Post
The outbreak is now controlled by increasing the frequency of water changes (50% daily for the past week instead of every 2-3 days). Unfortunately, 80% of the UG became unrecoverable. The remaining 20% however is bouncing back which gives me great hope .
The UG was just really sensitive and caught me by surprise as other plants were seemingly unaffected. For example - I took some better samples of the affected UG and tried to cultivate them emersed - majority continued to melt completely within the subsequent few days.

I look forward to updating again soon with visible progress and before-after shots
aaah maybe its a good idication for you to carpet the fore with just HC.

would be nice!
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)