Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography

Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Magnumchoy
Arofanatic

Smile My 4ft "mini-monster" Setup with pics comments welcome :)

Hi all, here is my 4'x2'x22"(H) set-up in my room. Housing my main fish(& obession) Fahaka puffer and its tank mates.
Pardon the poor quality pics, all taken from my Iphone 3GS.

Comments, critique and suggestions welcomed.

Tank filtration:
1 x Fluval 4 Plus for 100% mechanical filtration
1 x Atman CF-12000 stack and packed with 5x1L bottle of Seachem Matrix and 2L of coral chips and Jaqno Prefilter packed with wool as mechanical filter.

Lighting:
Aqua Zonic 4ft 54W PL x 2

Fauna:
1 X Fahaka Puffer, 1 X IT, 3 X Altifrons, 5 X Clown loaches

Substrate & Flora:
SUDO brown bottom sand, rocks, driftwood with anubias.sp and ferns and unknown vallisneria.sp ?

Tankshots:

Left scape:

Right Scape:

Still thinking of adding on an additonal filter indefinately, i want an OHF for its cheap and easy mechanical filtration purposes,
but was thinking that the water splashing noise would be very audible plus may stink the room.
Having another internal filter would take up space in my tank and my bottom tier dont really have enough space to put an additonal canister.
Any bros got suggestions? thanks for viewing.

Cheers to all.

Magnum
Magnumchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
jasvinlee
Arofanatic

peaceful looking comm! does the fahaka give its tankmates any problems?
jasvinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
sfk7
Arofanatic

Great to see that you're back to the hobby!

Btw how many packs of the sudo sand was used? Nice scape
sfk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
LTL
Senior Dragon

... nice scape and setup.... once the fahaka get accustomed to the tank, the other tankmates might need to go....
LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
leezhengxi

you make your tank look bigger than 4 ft !
very nice scaping !
leezhengxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Magnumchoy
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasvinlee View Post
peaceful looking comm! does the fahaka give its tankmates any problems?
Its been in this comm for a few months, grew from 2" to 4.5". I'm trying to comm it with tankmates of similar sizes at an early stage because i had some sucess with my previous fahaka. It is comm-able with tankmates but will try and eat smaller fishes if it has it chances. It took a nibble at the altifron's fins once during introduction when it tried to size it up but since then has not bothered any of them already. They feed together as well from the same clippers. Suprisingly the loaches are getting along even better, no a single sign of trouble and they even peck the food out of its mouth but i am always crossing my fingers that they dont get in between his beaks and the food.

I wont try expensive fishes at all cause i do know that he may be unpredictable whenever in future but im hoping he will be mild towards his mates as he grows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfk7 View Post
Great to see that you're back to the hobby!

Btw how many packs of the sudo sand was used? Nice scape
Hi! How's your tank doing? Yeap, i'm awaiting this day after 2yrs 5 packs, total 25KG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
... nice scape and setup.... once the fahaka get accustomed to the tank, the other tankmates might need to go....
Thanks bro haha, i will keep a close eye on things. Just have a feeling it may work with careful selection of tankmates and not missing feeding regimes Crossing my finger thou, hope things go on peacefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
you make your tank look bigger than 4 ft !
very nice scaping !
thanks bro, thats cause i think i space all the rocks wood and plants together thats why it looks roomy
Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
muser
Dragon

hi there thanks for sharing and nice setup.

For OHF, do go ahead if it's the splashing sound you're worried about, as there's a good way around it.

Just get a washing machine hose, or even better, get those black sponges (get a big pc, can cut to shape) and insert at the outlet.

What this does is:
1. tames the shape of the water flowing out from the outlet, from wild gushing random noise to a demure, single stream. Noiseless.
2. acts as additional bio filter

hope this helps.
muser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post

For OHF, do go ahead if it's the splashing sound you're worried about, as there's a good way around it.

Just get a washing machine hose, or even better, get those black sponges (get a big pc, can cut to shape) and insert at the outlet.

What this does is:
1. tames the shape of the water flowing out from the outlet, from wild gushing random noise to a demure, single stream. Noiseless.

hope this helps.
If that sponge clog then it will overflow out from the tray.... Have seen this thing happened.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Magnumchoy
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post

What this does is:

hope this helps.
Thanks bro for your suggestion. I'm thinking of adding Mr aqua OHF. Do you mean adding the black sponges on the the trays so that the splashing sounds are minimised upon contact with these sponges?

Also, my bioload isnt alot, but i have quite a bit of plants that adds on to the biload. Will my OHF filter smell? any experiences or suggestions to share?

Thanks
Old 13-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
jetpilot

Nice landscaping! Wish i hv the patience to do something like that.