Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
noidea
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugoboss View Post
Hello noidea,

Change your nick to "gotidea". lol. I'll go check out more on the koi growout comp. What are the important factors that made the show successful?
I do not wish to take credit to my suggestion. I was expose to such event which I just pass it on in this forum.

I happen to started koi keeping as my TVR keeping knowledge hit a dead end and I was lucky to volunteer my help in the koi grow out event and the experience was really eye opening.

I learn how to appreciate the beauty of the fish as a whole rather than trying to find out the which part of the fish are not good/bad or not show quality etc.

Just my 2 yens.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Lee View Post
I tink what Bro Hugoboss meant was, the competing BBR/CBR has to be at least 6cm at the commencement of this growout event i.e. on 31 Jul to 1 Aug.

Bro Hugoboss, juz some suggestions...if mods permit...

- Participants can update their subsequent pics here on the stipulated dates i.e. 10 Aug, 20 Aug, 1 Sep, 15 Sep under a new thread 'Young Ranchu Growout Event' after their first 'official' pic being taken by organizer on the registration day.

- All subsequent online updates are to be accompanied by the registration nbr issued to participants during registration day.

- All subsequent online update pics are required to conform to certain guidelines (juz like your passport foto e.g. on white background) set out by the organizer. Organizer might want to adhere a sample pic here.

In this way, the hassle of the organizer having to keep records & participants having to submit their update pics physically will be much reduced.

On the other hand, there will be lots of anticipation here in this forum as participants and forummers alike will be eager to see how the others are doing.

Mods might also want to ensure that pics updated here by participants are not for comments/compliments.
If it helps in promote and improving the hobby, PY and myself will go all out to help. We can maintain it in a sticky thread. Just finalise how you want to carry out the comp.
As for your suggestion in submitting pics individually, I dont think it is easy for everyone, seeing the many pics posted here.
TVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #23
pykoh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR View Post
If it helps in promote and improving the hobby, PY and myself will go all out to help. We can maintain it in a sticky thread. Just finalise how you want to carry out the comp.
As for your suggestion in submitting pics individually, I dont think it is easy for everyone, seeing the many pics posted here.
I fully agree with bro TVR. Any way we (mods) can help, we will do it.
pykoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #24
Hugoboss
Arofanatic

Quote:
Hi Daryl,
I understand you have a batch of Kashino babies from your post in the commercial market. I am wondering if this comp can be based on the batch of babies? Every entry using the same batch of fish, age and size problem solved? Differences will be on the keeper's grooming. Just a thought!
Hello David,

Your idea is good and also can be done. Just to debate alittle on it, the number of entries might turned out to be limited at max.50-80 pieces and we've got to minus off those that didn't survive during owners quarantine/keeping. And i also wish to share with other proper commercial entities a channel to make progress during this beginning to remain competitive. Lastly, the current ratio of hobbyists and premium grade bbrs/cbrs might not be quite right given everyone buys them. i always have my reservation on growth of bbrs or cbrs being kept in low quantity with hobbyists, we need numbers in pond for good growth during initial stage. Anyway, all said, i'm trying to bring in a batch of 100 average grade of japanese cbrs at low cost to help solve this problem and also for new hobbyists to give it a try. Let's keep discussing and see where we land. Cheers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykoh View Post
Again, I'm taking experience from koi grow-out or competition: -

1.) If the number of participant are manageable, everyone must bring down their fishes on the same day (say 31 Jul). Each participant will be issue one basin which is big enough to house their TVRs (e.g max 5). Airstone will be provided so that organiser can take their pics at your own pace.

2.) IF the above is done, a mini-workshop can be held on the same day with max participation compared to doing a two day photo shoot like what you proposed.

3.) As for final judging, the organiser can come up with a simple guideline and the judging can be done be all the participants at the venue. Each particpant will be given one vote regardless how many TVR he is participating. Each TVR will be clearly label on the judging day. I would also suggest doing 2-3 rounds of voting like in koi hobby. Example, once the top 5 TVR are chosen, everyone has to vote again among these top 5 to determine the top 3 prizes. The organiser can decide how "rounds" of votes to conduct. I remember for one of the koi grow out event that I participated, there was like 4-5 rounds of voting. You can do 3 rounds (choose top 10, then top 5 and then top 3). For each subsequent round, the result from the previous round does not carry any weight. Each voting round is independent.

4.) I have one question, why you say the TVR cannot exceed 6cm in your post above??? I know someone can pump up his CBR very fast and good in term of size. Why set this "limit"???

Cheers!!!
Hello Py,

Point 1----Noted.

Point 2----Reason for 2 days is to give hobbyists more time allowance to come down for the photo take. In regards to mini workshop, i'm proposing to either give the experience old boys a chance to share their ranchu knowledge with everyone or have a get to together as in free for all, hobbyists interacting ith one another to share ard knowledge during the day?????

Point 3----This is abit risky in the sense that pardon me, not everyone can judge a ranchu well and in turn we might end up with very odd results. Alternatively, If it is what everyone wish to give this a try, to minimise the chance of odd results happening, a panel of like 10-20 hobbyists with better experience can do the job.

Point 4----I got the limit wrong, rather on registration date(not comp date) ranchus must not exceed 8cm. Reason being, we're trying to filter out those high end fish that hobbyists buy during the later stages as i prefer those to compete during a year end eg. All Singapore Ranchu Show or something. Following is some Japan ranchu information of the whatever you can call it, the proper growth of ranchu from birth though some might not reach that size due to genes, it's just a rough guide----->

Standard of experience person
After the hatching 5 days -> length approximately 7mm
After the hatching 7 days -> length approximately 10mm
After the hatching 2 weeks -> length approximately 13mm
After the hatching 3 weeks -> length approximately 16mm
After the hatching 1 months -> length approximately 20mm
After the hatching 2 months -> length approximately 40mm
After the hatching 3 months -> length approximately 60mm
After the hatching 4 months -> length approximately 80mm
After the hatching 5 months -> length approximately 100mm
After the hatching 6 months -> length approximately 120mm
After the hatching 7 months -> length approximately 130mm

Last edited by Hugoboss; 08-07-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Hugoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #25
Hugoboss
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsilano View Post
Darryl....thats what precisely what I am trying to put across....a competition I hope to see is like what I posted in the "Harvest" picture...a show case of our fruits of labour and love. My apology if the long winded article did not address directly what you thread started. After the sms from you referring to your postings in Fynnmood(I am not a member there), I drafted that article over the weekend hoping to start a thread in Af to air my feelings about how the ranchu scene in Sg shld progress on a yearly basis. Nevertheless like I spoke to some other brethrens over the phone....any attempts by any individual or organizations to promote ranchu.... be it workshop, competition etc etc we all should support...so rest assure that support is there for any idea or events that you have in mind.

I am more for non invasive ideas. Sg ranchu scene got no depth....you can count them as a small handful of players. I rather nurture then pit one against another. I rather see event like... weekends maybe every alternate weekend or once a month, hobbyists can bring their fish to say your business premise and share with other hobbyists. In the process, newbies can seek opinion/advices on how to improve the fish. Oldies can showcase their fish as inspiration on good grooming.
Hi Richard,

We're all like minded hobbyists who are all trying to lift the ranchu hobby to another level. Your thoughts/ideas are good and genuine and in view for the good of the hobby. Let's all keep the ball rolling, offer support and get things done. It's way overdue. Cheers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Lee View Post
I tink what Bro Hugoboss meant was, the competing BBR/CBR has to be at least 6cm at the commencement of this growout event i.e. on 31 Jul to 1 Aug.

Bro Hugoboss, juz some suggestions...if mods permit...

- Participants can update their subsequent pics here on the stipulated dates i.e. 10 Aug, 20 Aug, 1 Sep, 15 Sep under a new thread 'Young Ranchu Growout Event' after their first 'official' pic being taken by organizer on the registration day.

- All subsequent online updates are to be accompanied by the registration nbr issued to participants during registration day.

- All subsequent online update pics are required to conform to certain guidelines (juz like your passport foto e.g. on white background) set out by the organizer. Organizer might want to adhere a sample pic here.

In this way, the hassle of the organizer having to keep records & participants having to submit their update pics physically will be much reduced.

On the other hand, there will be lots of anticipation here in this forum as participants and forummers alike will be eager to see how the others are doing.

Mods might also want to ensure that pics updated here by participants are not for comments/compliments.
Hello Allan,

This would be good and we might wish to work on it? One bro brought up one important point. Can we all get the cooperation of the participants to update their ranchu pictures? I think it's possible IF ONLY everyone of us play a part, reminding one another cause for organiser to keep chasing for updates, might not go down too well. And yes, picture to conform to guidelines laid down. noted. I strongly agree there will be lots of anticipation going on and it's nothing but good for this hobby just that we need to ALWAYS BEAR IN MIND to give newbies a chance and keep encouraging them and not put them down just yet, give them space. For the older birds, we can be alittle more critical but with respect. Agree?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #26
Chinmo
Senior Dragon

erm.... what if i bad photograher? can use video not? just a thought
Chinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 PM   #27
Hugoboss
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidea View Post
I do not wish to take credit to my suggestion. I was expose to such event which I just pass it on in this forum.

I happen to started koi keeping as my TVR keeping knowledge hit a dead end and I was lucky to volunteer my help in the koi grow out event and the experience was really eye opening.

I learn how to appreciate the beauty of the fish as a whole rather than trying to find out the which part of the fish are not good/bad or not show quality etc.

Just my 2 yens.
Hey friend,

That is very true in the sense that appreciating the beauty as a whole rather than pick what is bad and grind on it. You should also volunteer to voice out if any suggestions by any bros here will have a negative impact on the comp later on. Provide advice bro since you have offered help during the koi event.

Quote:
Both of your support is VERY DA IMPORTANT. Keep it coming! Cheers!
Old 08-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #28
Hugoboss
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinmo View Post
erm.... what if i bad photograher? can use video not? just a thought
Hello Chinmo,

You can't find an excuse la. hahaha.... Experience players must be equipped with a simple fish photo taking skill. Having good pictures taken throughout this event, your big brother richard dream of publishing a ranchu or goldfish magazine will have more to write on when it comes through.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #29
lohsinlong
Dragon

Yoz....I wont be taking part coz I dont have fish.
BUT I WOULD BE GREATLY TO CHIP IN IN ANYWAY I CAN!!!
lohsinlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #30
blackTT
Arofanatic

alo daryl, this kinda cbr photos standard good enough?

Last edited by blackTT; 11-08-2012 at 10:11 PM.
blackTT is offline   Reply With Quote