Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 20-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #31
freddie
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahvy View Post
Wow.. Beautiful.. How do u get them so blue? I also have cichlids...when I got them. They are blue..Spirulina will help to bring out the blue colour. pirulina will help to bring out the blue colour. After a while.. They lose their blue...
Thanks bro.

It takes a while for the colour to develop. Food, water quality and tank mates all play a part.

1. Food: Should be feeding quality pellets. Hikari and NLS are both good, there are others but these are easily available. Spirulina (contained in both of these) will help to bring out the blue colour.

2. Water quality: I do one 50% or larger water change a week. The only chemical I put into the tank is water conditioner. And am just using crushed coral for the substrate which helps to bring up the ph.

3. Tank mates: At first I was keeping a mixed African tank. Peacocks and haps won't colour up fully when being harassed by mbuna. Tanganyikans in general may find it difficult to compete for food and won't enjoy the high activity level of the Malawi's. It's best to go for a Peacock and Hap only tank if you want them to colour up fully. And even then it will depend on the aggression in the tank.

Just sharing some of my experience. Hope it helps.

Thanks
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #32
CCT
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Thanks bro.

It takes a while for the colour to develop. Food, water quality and tank mates all play a part.

1. Food: Should be feeding quality pellets. Hikari and NLS are both good, there are others but these are easily available. Spirulina (contained in both of these) will help to bring out the blue colour.

2. Water quality: I do one 50% or larger water change a week. The only chemical I put into the tank is water conditioner. And am just using crushed coral for the substrate which helps to bring up the ph.

3. Tank mates: At first I was keeping a mixed African tank. Peacocks and haps won't colour up fully when being harassed by mbuna. Tanganyikans in general may find it difficult to compete for food and won't enjoy the high activity level of the Malawi's. It's best to go for a Peacock and Hap only tank if you want them to colour up fully. And even then it will depend on the aggression in the tank.

Just sharing some of my experience. Hope it helps.

Thanks

Fred great sharing like your 3rd point the most

CCT
CCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #33
Brichardi
Dragon

Heya Freddie.... I tend to agree too. IMO, to bring out the best colours of fishes.... food, water (PH), fishes compatibility, maintain balance in tank, parentage/source and lightings all plays a part.

Thanks for sharing your experiences bud.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #34
frontosa
Dragon

Thumbs up

Kudos bro! Best Malawi tank I seen locally. Seldom see hobbyists putting as much effort into malawis but you have done a fantastic job! I once thought of doing a peacock tank but worry about the quality of the fishes locally.

Great colours!
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #35
CCT
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa View Post
Kudos bro! Best Malawi tank I seen locally. Seldom see hobbyists putting as much effort into malawis but you have done a fantastic job! I once thought of doing a peacock tank but worry about the quality of the fishes locally.

Great colours!

Local peacock Fish mostly Import from Thailand so it's quite ok. Can consider.

CCT
CCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 10:26 PM   #36
freddie
Arofanatic

Quote:

Great colours!
Thanks bro, really appreciate that compliment

Yeah it takes some time and effort to see the results. I think most of us here are putting the same effort into our tanks, just keeping different types of fish. But we all enjoy looking at a well kept tank regardless of the biotype.

I understand where you are coming from about the quality of the local malawi's. I've visited dozens of fish shops and there's only 2 or 3 that have a nice selection to choose from. So far it's worked out ok for me.

Still have so much to learn about this hobby

Thanks.
Old 22-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #37
frontosa
Dragon

Bro, so are your fishes Thailand sourced? Amazing job you done as all of them have coloured up so vibrantly.
Old 22-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #38
freddie
Arofanatic

Quote:
Bro, so are your fishes Thailand sourced? Amazing job you done as all of them have coloured up so vibrantly.
I got most of them from Yun Feng. Yes they source from Thailand and usually get a shipment in at the end of each month. Nice selection of healthy (not juiced up) Malawi's.

But I do have a practice of swapping out a fish once I find a better specimen. Slowly building up the quality in the tank.
Old 22-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #39
frontosa
Dragon

healthy (not juiced up) - that is the key.

Good idea to swap into better specimens, QC plus maintain bioload.
Old 22-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #40
amiidae

Nice tank.

For Malawi, I really like Champsochromis sp. aka Rocket & Fossorochromis rostratus.

amiidae is offline   Reply With Quote