Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 23-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
charlesT
Arofanatic

Lightbulb Diet Advice: Happy or healthy?

A food for thought ..

Many of us wants our fish to be healthy, so we "train or force" our aros to convert their diet from what they like to eat (e.g. SW/BF/feeders), to something we like them to eat (e.g. MP/pellets).

Personally I've fed my aros 100% SW diet for some time and they love it!.. But after reading on the possible side effects of SW diet, i have trained them to take 100% MP diet. Yes, they do eat MP comfortably, but they don't WHACK it as happily as they used to when was feeding SW.
One day I ran out of MP, and decided to buy SW as a 'treat'. When i fed them the SW, i saw the same happiness and character come back.. The kind of enthusiasm and happiness that was missing when i feed them with MP.

This bring up my question, whether do we want our fish to be healthy or happy.. I'm tempted to go back to the 100% SW diet to make them happy and bring their character back, but i know that doing so, will be so difficult to train back to MP diet again.

Any advice, or similar dilemma faced or comments for discussion ?
charlesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
cheogin
Arofanatic

Not sure if fish can feel happiness or not, but if they do then maybe can treat them similar to humans.
Meaning that we need a variaty off food to be happy. Everyday eat chicken rice also sian, or salad everyday.
So i guess the best way is to try to have food that wild fishes would get, which is many types. From worms to river prawns to frogs.

But i know what you mean, mine eat feeders, SW, MP and pallets. Most of the time it gets pallets and i can see its sour face evertime it has to take a bite. Once in a while i give the other types of food...so damn happy to attck until bang his head on DW haha.
cheogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
sbtanpatrick
Senior Dragon

Feeding a variety of diet is best IMO....SW is addictive and said to cause PA and DE if fed in the long run..For me...Main diet for my aro will be MP with occasional treats of SW or BF per month...
sbtanpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
charlesT
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheogin View Post
Not sure if fish can feel happiness or not, but if they do then maybe can treat them similar to humans.
Meaning that we need a variaty off food to be happy. Everyday eat chicken rice also sian, or salad everyday.
So i guess the best way is to try to have food that wild fishes would get, which is many types. From worms to river prawns to frogs.

But i know what you mean, mine eat feeders, SW, MP and pallets. Most of the time it gets pallets and i can see its sour face evertime it has to take a bite. Once in a while i give the other types of food...so damn happy to attck until bang his head on DW haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtanpatrick View Post
Feeding a variety of diet is best IMO....SW is addictive and said to cause PA and DE if fed in the long run..For me...Main diet for my aro will be MP with occasional treats of SW or BF per month...
Mine when eat MP simply swims there and bite, no excitement.. But when i throw in SW it dash until water splash.. The day after i used SW, i throw mp they only eat one piece and dont look interested.

Hence i came to the conclusion that varied diet is going to be hard as all will rather be camping and waiting for the next SW meal to come again.
charlesT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
takanori
Senior Dragon

U have been using pure sw for their diet for so long, no wonder not interested in any food. Mine eat frog, mp, fish meat and pallet(not so interested but still eat). I notice they will eat aggresively if their food is moving. I just abt to throw bf thru the hole of my tank cover, my aro already jump up and eat.
takanori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
kenza
Senior Dragon

I can see you really love your aro dearly.
kenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
thinkytank
Dragon

My 14" rtg used to take mp but after giving bf, now not interested for mp anymore.
Cheers.
thinkytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
redfan

My xb dont like froggy at all, how to train it to feed on it. Main diet is SW n cricket.