Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 05-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
zerc

Default Advice needed!

hi, i'm totally a new to koi. Mayb it sound silly, i like to know whether can i rear 4-5 small koi (5-8cm) in a 1.5x1.2 feet fish tank? Is it too small for them and will they grow v fast in size?
Thanks alot for the advice.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
BuTLeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerc View Post
hi, i'm totally a new to koi. Mayb it sound silly, i like to know whether can i rear 4-5 small koi (5-8cm) in a 1.5x1.2 feet fish tank? Is it too small for them and will they grow v fast in size?
given the size of the tank they can't really grow much and your tank is way too small......

growth have to depend on gene as well ....
Old 05-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
terence28

Quote:

That size tank is better suited for goldfish, koi will grow to about 15cm and probably stop there. And if u use a small filter, the water will turn bad very fast, so you will need a filter as big as yr tank capacity to make it work.

Koi dun look so good from side view unless u choose those with colours on the sides...
Old 05-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
zerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuTLeR View Post
given the size of the tank they can't really grow much and your tank is way too small......

growth have to depend on gene as well ....
actually i dont really want them to grow big as well.. if can maintain the same size, it'll b good enough. thanks for the advice!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
zerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence28 View Post
That size tank is better suited for goldfish, koi will grow to about 15cm and probably stop there. And if u use a small filter, the water will turn bad very fast, so you will need a filter as big as yr tank capacity to make it work.

Koi dun look so good from side view unless u choose those with colours on the sides...
so koi poo as much as goldfish? i thought of gf too, just that they really poo alot..
Old 05-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
sgbetta
Senior Dragon

The tanks size is too small....best to keep small fishes like tetra or so.
sgbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
BuTLeR

Quote:
actually i dont really want them to grow big as well.. if can maintain the same size, it'll b good enough. thanks for the advice!
then try not to feed so much .. maybe once a day .... so water won't turn bad so fast ...
Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #8
slypower50
Dragon

Quote:
but usually fish that doesn't grow well(stun) due to conditions are not healthy and will not live to their potential age.. In a way, you are depriving the fish to grow to its potential.. which is rather sad for the fish..
slypower50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
terence28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypower50 View Post
but usually fish that doesn't grow well(stun) due to conditions are not healthy and will not live to their potential age.. In a way, you are depriving the fish to grow to its potential.. which is rather sad for the fish..
Thats true as well.

Quote:
so koi poo as much as goldfish? i thought of gf too, just that they really poo alot..
Koi poo as much, if not more than GF!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
zerc

Thanks for all e advice. Guess will not rear koi liao..