Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 15-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #11
nicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by afters View Post
You got aircon in that room? Can try ice packs. Turn on the aircon at night, freeze ice packs at night before you sleep. Morning wake up, turn off the aircon, put ice packs in tank, go work. Evening come home, take out the ice packs, turn on the aircon, freeze ice packs in the fridge for tomorrow. You get the picture. This method has been proven effective with maintaining a low tank temperature for CRS, but a tad too troublesome. Nothing beats having a fan/chiller. Some moss grow well with just fan. Browning can also be due to a lack of nutrients in your tank, or the moss may simply be undergoing the acclimatization period. What moss are you keeping and how long have you kept them for?
bro you mean those blue color ice packs ? just leave it in the tank will do ? usually how long can the ice pack last ? 7-8 hrs possible ?
nicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
the_r0ck

Having ice-packs will cause more obvious fluctuations in the tank's temperature.

When you put the ice-pack in, the temperature will dip by quite a bit and then it'd pick up over time again.

Best way is to have a fan if you are concerned about a chiller's cost. That way the temperature will be more constant.
Old 15-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Nanami

i was thinking of cooling down my tank using a cheapo ice chiller...

was thinking of putting lots of ice into a styrofoam box like those they use for fishing and then put the canister filter inside with the lid of the box on and holes cut for the pipings.

haven't had the time to try it out and also i dont know if it's safe enough for water / ice to be surrounding the canister filter / power supply. and i'm also not sure if this sort of cooling will result in temperature dropping too low as my tank's a 1ft five-plan tank.

but i suppose using this method the flow rate of the filter will have to be large so that larger amount of water will past through it faster and even cooling is achieved.....
Old 16-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
PatrikLim
Dragon

I have already install a cooling fan (on the package stats as 8x stronger than CPU's fan) but I only acchieve 28-degree temperature... if don't have the fan... i think 30 plus =.=

The tank was located at living room, near to the windows. I will close the windows before I leave house for work, then open again when I back from work. anything do improper?
PatrikLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
Hancai
Dragon

I dunno if it will work for you, but i've throwing 2 tua hua container ( frozen with ice) everyday into my 3 ft planted.Didn't really affect the fish because my 2 pair of angel still breeding every week. Only thing i fear is, tank will crack cause of sudden temp change, but so far so good
Hancai is offline   Reply With Quote