Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Adv

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
shawnng79
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0
shawnng79 may have some misunderstanding with others
Reputation: 8
Default Appetite of young arowana

Has this bbxb about 1 month. Was about 8 inches and now maybe 9 or 10 inches.

He has been eating about 20-25 baby frogs a day

Feeding timing is morning about 8-10 frogs, evening about 12 to 15 frogs

I usually feed him till i find he is not enthusiastic about the food then i will stop

Sometimes when i throw market prawn to feed my ray after feeding him, he will also steal a piece or 2.

After eating, his body has a small bulge but not bloated, still swims normally at top of tank

Is this normal or am i feeding too much?
shawnng79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123
 
streetsmart73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,670
Rep Power: 4
streetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personality
Reputation: 1367
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnng79 View Post
Has this bbxb about 1 month. Was about 8 inches and now maybe 9 or 10 inches.

He has been eating about 20-25 baby frogs a day

Feeding timing is morning about 8-10 frogs, evening about 12 to 15 frogs

I usually feed him till i find he is not enthusiastic about the food then i will stop

Sometimes when i throw market prawn to feed my ray after feeding him, he will also steal a piece or 2.

After eating, his body has a small bulge but not bloated, still swims normally at top of tank

Is this normal or am i feeding too much?

Bro, i guess your feeding regime is alright for the juvenile.

Just maintain good water parameters is something fundamental too
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
shawnng79
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0
shawnng79 may have some misunderstanding with others
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart73 View Post
Bro, i guess your feeding regime is alright for the juvenile.

Just maintain good water parameters is something fundamental too
thanks... i just worry i feed too much
shawnng79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123
 
streetsmart73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,670
Rep Power: 4
streetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personalitystreetsmart73 is a famous personality
Reputation: 1367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnng79 View Post
thanks... i just worry i feed too much
shall appreciate it if you can download a clip on your aro

However, some aros will fast after 3 years old; go off without food for a considerable period of time.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 01:10 AM   #5
Dave57

Moderator
 
Dave57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,534
Rep Power: 14
Dave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personalityDave57 is a famous personality
Reputation: 4858
Default

if an arowana overfeeds itself, it will puke out the excess after a while.
as mentioned by SS73, take note of your water parameters.
monitor pH, dont let it swing too much.
monitor ammonium, more feeding = more fish poop = more ammonium
optimum water parameters are beneficial for your young arowana's growth.
__________________
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic2312_2.gif
Dave57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #6
FanAromatic
Dragon
 
FanAromatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,818
Rep Power: 2
FanAromatic has many friendsFanAromatic has many friendsFanAromatic has many friendsFanAromatic has many friendsFanAromatic has many friends
Reputation: 465
Default

It's good to feed more for juvenile, but try not to overfeeding. beside release more waste that affect water, your pet may fast early. Try to reduce the feeding.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
shawnng79
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0
shawnng79 may have some misunderstanding with others
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAromatic View Post
It's good to feed more for juvenile, but try not to overfeeding. beside release more waste that affect water, your pet may fast early. Try to reduce the feeding.
Thanks all, which is why I asking if I am feeding too much

However, I do not feed him till he puke I only feed till he seems not interested.. At the same time, he has parrot fish to compete with him for the frogs lol

Streetsmart73, how to upload clip? I try take 1 tonight

I am running 2 canister filter, 1 uv filter and 2 air stones and weekly water change about 20%

Tank size is 6x2.5x2
shawnng79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
smy168
Arofanatic
 
smy168's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 112
Rep Power: 1
smy168 is neutral, pH7
Reputation: 29
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnng79 View Post
thanks... i just worry i feed too much
When my Aro was 6 inches, she ate a lot, they grow pretty fast at this stage, I fed her as much as she wanted as long as she ate. She's at about 14 inches now and already went through a "fasting" period where she didn't eat for about a week. That happens, don't freak out.

First 4 months feeding: 8 Crickets AM, 4 SW Afternoon, 8 Cr/Sw PM...daily

Last 2 months(10 to 14 in): Frog AM, 15-18 Crickets PM

Haven't been able to switch her to MPs and afraid of starving her out because I have other fish that seems to get along with her in the tank.

So I say feed her as much as she wants at this stage, keep water pristine and see how it goes, when she hits that 12 to 14 in mark, I would start adjusting her diet. Variety helps...

How big is your system?

S
smy168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #9
harrysoo

Dragon
 
harrysoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,280
Rep Power: 4
harrysoo is well received in the communityharrysoo is well received in the communityharrysoo is well received in the communityharrysoo is well received in the communityharrysoo is well received in the communityharrysoo is well received in the communityharrysoo is well received in the community
Reputation: 862
Default

Aros r smart fishes
They will stop eating when they r full

Dun stress urself too much
harrysoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
shawnng79
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 16
Rep Power: 0
shawnng79 may have some misunderstanding with others
Reputation: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smy168 View Post
When my Aro was 6 inches, she ate a lot, they grow pretty fast at this stage, I fed her as much as she wanted as long as she ate. She's at about 14 inches now and already went through a "fasting" period where she didn't eat for about a week. That happens, don't freak out.

First 4 months feeding: 8 Crickets AM, 4 SW Afternoon, 8 Cr/Sw PM...daily

Last 2 months(10 to 14 in): Frog AM, 15-18 Crickets PM

Haven't been able to switch her to MPs and afraid of starving her out because I have other fish that seems to get along with her in the tank.

So I say feed her as much as she wants at this stage, keep water pristine and see how it goes, when she hits that 12 to 14 in mark, I would start adjusting her diet. Variety helps...

How big is your system?

S
at last someone's aro eat as much as mine... lol... main diet is baby frogs, sometimes will give some prawn meat and ghost shrimp.

noticed usually after ghost shrimp, he will then skip baby frogs for 1 feeding session

6x2.5x2 with tankmates

Aside to Harry,

Thanks so far he does not really stop just less enthusiastic about the frogs. That's when i stop feeding... maybe he not full yet lol
shawnng79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
appetite, arowana, food, juvenile, young

Adv


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)