Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #20
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonghyen View Post
Appreciate your prompt response...

Actually I am planning on a coil type denitrator... Did some research in the internet and they didnt even mention feeding except those sold commercially... Based on the answer of yours above, seems like coil type denitrator also need to be feed... From my understanding, when there is unpleasant of oxygen, anerobic bbs use up the O- (oxygen in NO3-) to denitrify like the following steps:

NO3- → NO2- → NO → N2O → N2 gas

redox equation:

2NO3- + 10e- + 12H+ → N2 + 6H2O

I consider the carbon you fed is to supply the 12H+. But carbon is C and H+ stand for hydrogen ions. Mind to explain further of the feeding part? Do you know whats the content of your deniballs?

Thanks
Wow ....redox equation!

In any denitrator, you can feed or opt out. If you feed, you can ensure ready supply of electrons and hydrogen ions to balance the redox equation ........more efficient. If no feeding, it has to depends on what is available in the tank water which is never really constant. Some carbon based compound works better than the other. Sugar and alcohols are some easily obtainable examples. The actual composition of deniball is a trade secret and it is suppose to be made from bio-degradable carbon based material. I did not send to a lab for analysis as I am not involve in it.

Carbon itself will not work. If it possible, you can just throw in GAC. It has to be a carbon compound. I prefer to use deniball because it is slow dissolving ball ....providing constant supply of food.