Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 25-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
darrenchuasy
Arofanatic

Lightbulb how to shift approx 5ft tank w/o engaging help within the house

Aro bros,

Would like to find options and alternatives to shift my tank within the house?

Video of my tank: http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...=488089&page=6

thanks in advance
darrenchuasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
ymmij
Senior Dragon

5 feet tank is no joke you really need help be it from professional movers like sgbros or your friend. i assume it is to another location in the house.

if sgbros, just call and pay. maybe $100++

if using cheap labour like friends first you need to remove the arowana and have a big big container to hold at least half the tank water.

next empty the tank and move the setup, possibly tank and cabinet separately.

put back old tank water and arowana, add water very slowly plus water conditioner.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
acedophin
Arofanatic

5ft still manageable, but need at least 3-4person, just drop water level to 1/4. remove any load like cabinate door, filter media etc. Have a few thick cloth on hand, lift up cabinate one end and slide the cloth in. Push all the way to new location within the room.
acedophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
tmark
Dragon

bro use sg bros who are more professional. don't save money on this kinda off things. wait spend ended up spending double.

Just my 2 cents worth
tmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
sgslic
Arofanatic

I just shifted my new 5x2x2.5 myself.. But it was empty at that time lar....my 4ft with half water is already freaking heavy to move le...but it its short distance and no steps involved, imo 3 big guys would be able to move a 1/4 filled 5ft..
sgslic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
darrenchuasy
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmij View Post
5 feet tank is no joke you really need help be it from professional movers like sgbros or your friend. i assume it is to another location in the house.

if sgbros, just call and pay. maybe $100++

if using cheap labour like friends first you need to remove the arowana and have a big big container to hold at least half the tank water.

next empty the tank and move the setup, possibly tank and cabinet separately.

put back old tank water and arowana, add water very slowly plus water conditioner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedophin View Post
5ft still manageable, but need at least 3-4person, just drop water level to 1/4. remove any load like cabinate door, filter media etc. Have a few thick cloth on hand, lift up cabinate one end and slide the cloth in. Push all the way to new location within the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmark View Post
bro use sg bros who are more professional. don't save money on this kinda off things. wait spend ended up spending double.

Just my 2 cents worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgslic View Post
I just shifted my new 5x2x2.5 myself.. But it was empty at that time lar....my 4ft with half water is already freaking heavy to move le...but it its short distance and no steps involved, imo 3 big guys would be able to move a 1/4 filled 5ft..
Thanks bro appreciated all the suggestions
Old 29-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
giantbetta
Dragon

Bro dun try to do it yourself.firstly you might injured your back as it happened to me before.I shifted by 5x2.5x2.5 with my brother n it's that's the last time I will shift my tank again..
giantbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
darrenchuasy
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantbetta View Post
Bro dun try to do it yourself.firstly you might injured your back as it happened to me before.I shifted by 5x2.5x2.5 with my brother n it's that's the last time I will shift my tank again..
Thanks Bro,have decided to engage professional
Old 29-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
jason1202
Arofanatic

Last time I shifted my 522 by draining half of the tank water and apply some detergent on the floor to facilitate the pushing.

It works, but still it is alot of hard work!
jason1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

For 5ft n larger tanks, i would advise against DIY cos if anything happen to you or your helpers, or your aro/fishes up lorry in the process, then your medical bills and aro cost will be more than what you pay if you hire professionals. The task may look simple but it requires at least 4 able-bodied men and the right equipments on hand.

I engaged Sg Bros recently to transfer my fishes from a 522 IOS tank to a 6' cabinet sump tank. This is what they did:

1) Catch the aro and keep it in a prawn bag with 2 airstones and tie up the bag (it took 2 persons standing on the tank to lift up the prawn bag which is then passed to 2 persons standing on the floor). The process is then repeated for the tankmates.

2) All the water in the tank is then pumped and stored in a big fgt placed at the side; filter media is removed and stored in pails.

3) The 522 tank is then carried by the 4 men and moved aside so that the 6' tank can take its place.

4) Once the 6' tank has been set up, all the water in the fgt is pumped back into this tank.

5) The 2 prawn bags with aro and tankmates are then placed into the new tank and left there for about half an hour while the men do the finishing touches to the tank (put in media, adjust pump flow, etc)

6) Finally, the prawn bags are untied and water in the tank is allowed to flow into the bags gradually. The fishes are then released from the bags into the tank water. Tap water and water conditioner are used to top up the tank.

Hope the above will give u a better idea on the scale of work involved. Sg Bros did a very good job for me and everything ended up swee swee.....

dave6238 is offline   Reply With Quote