Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 14-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Default Does uv light helps?

Hi, as I on my tank led light for 24 hrs, the wall and the base of the tank is very prone to brown algae forming.

Does adding a uv light at the sump tank helps? Those uv bulb type selling less than $20 , plan to put in sump tank first compartment . Or is there any fix other than reducing the hours of light ? Thanks in advance
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
samudrasg

correct me if am wrong,
uv kill bacteria rite, a form of sterilization, and we need bacteria to breed our tank that is why we do sump tank w lots of wonderful media which breed/house bacteria. if so why must we kiil them?

anon77830
Post 3 Dear anon74683: If you are referring to non-pathogenic bacteria as "good" bacteria, then yes UVC rays do indeed inhibit the growth of "good" bacteria.
anon74683
Post 2 UV light in a pond is supposed to clear water. what does the killing? Does it kill good bacteria.

found this online.

and if me i ll be happy if there is algae cos to me its a form of nitrogen cycle.

http://www.lenntech.com/images/nitrocycle.gif

check out the link for more details chart.
Old 14-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Cow36
Dragon

Hi Bro,

IMO, i think UV light works well on green water and it can remove floating algae that caused green water. It managed to solved my previous balcony tank with very bad green water. It doesn't really remove the blown algae on tank wall and base. Wat I did was thrown in two normal plecos and they work wonders to remove the tank wall algae.

Cheers!
Cow36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
acedophin
Arofanatic

UV is good for green algae removal, but as yours is brown algae, I suspect is the feeding, filter or water quality issue. Brown algae had to be removed physically by sponge.
acedophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
aquafanatic
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Hi, as I on my tank led light for 24 hrs, the wall and the base of the tank is very prone to brown algae forming.

Does adding a uv light at the sump tank helps? Those uv bulb type selling less than $20 , plan to put in sump tank first compartment . Or is there any fix other than reducing the hours of light ? Thanks in advance
Yours a planted tank? Can try SAE or hornt snail
aquafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Thanks bro, I cannot put in a pleco because my tank has a stingray.

Mine is a empty base tank , not planted tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samudrasg View Post
correct me if am wrong,
uv kill bacteria rite, a form of sterilization, and we need bacteria to breed our tank that is why we do sump tank w lots of wonderful media which breed/house bacteria. if so why must we kiil them?

anon77830
Post 3 Dear anon74683: If you are referring to non-pathogenic bacteria as "good" bacteria, then yes UVC rays do indeed inhibit the growth of "good" bacteria.
anon74683
Post 2 UV light in a pond is supposed to clear water. what does the killing? Does it kill good bacteria.

found this online.

and if me i ll be happy if there is algae cos to me its a form of nitrogen cycle.

http://www.lenntech.com/images/nitrocycle.gif

check out the link for more details chart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow36 View Post
Hi Bro,

IMO, i think UV light works well on green water and it can remove floating algae that caused green water. It managed to solved my previous balcony tank with very bad green water. It doesn't really remove the blown algae on tank wall and base. Wat I did was thrown in two normal plecos and they work wonders to remove the tank wall algae.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedophin View Post
UV is good for green algae removal, but as yours is brown algae, I suspect is the feeding, filter or water quality issue. Brown algae had to be removed physically by sponge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafanatic View Post
Yours a planted tank? Can try SAE or hornt snail
Old 15-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
imxb

i installed UV for my outdoor tank roughly about a week ago to treat green water and im very satisfied with the result. I believed UV only treat moving water therefore your brown algae that are sticked to the wall most likely will not have any effects.
Old 15-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Aroboy II
AFC Member

UV kills all bacteria. I reckon and will put at the end where water are filtered and on the way back to the tank.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #9
sebarau
Dragon

you can try FF, but this is also a love & hate thinggy. once they sapu the algae they will start to suck the ray...what i've done so far, once the cleaning job done, off he goes to another tank..
sebarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxb View Post
i installed UV for my outdoor tank roughly about a week ago to treat green water and im very satisfied with the result. I believed UV only treat moving water therefore your brown algae that are sticked to the wall most likely will not have any effects.
Thanks bro, will not help on brown algae stain?