Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 25-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
k9er

Default Dwarf seahorse

Been keeping seahorse for some time now and I guess I can finally get a bigger tank to put a few more seahorses. I'm partically in love with the dwarf seahorse but they are no where to be found in Singapore. Any idea where to get this subtropical seahorse here?? Tks in advance.
Old 26-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
stephly30
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9er View Post
Been keeping seahorse for some time now and I guess I can finally get a bigger tank to put a few more seahorses. I'm partically in love with the dwarf seahorse but they are no where to be found in Singapore. Any idea where to get this subtropical seahorse here?? Tks in advance.
Bro...,I don't think you can find any lfs selling them...as they are said to be impossible to survive in tank Condition....as cute as they might be...,they are best kept in the wild...
stephly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
k9er

Bro tank bred dwarf has been selling in the US, Australia and many other countries for some time already. Problem is, nobody wants to or can be shipped them over.
Matter of fact they are easy to mate and spawn in tanks I supposed it's the upbringing of fries that is the hard part.
When I started with my current two pairs of seahorse people says that they are fussy eaters, hard to keep not for beginner yet these four little ones has been in my basic tank for nearly a month and they are feeding well and healthy.
I must say it is all depends on who you get the seahorse from and their origin as I've lost a pair of seahorse that was bought in plastic bags cluck in a lfs, which i suppose were wild caught ones.
After a while I realize that if u can buy a pair for 15 bucks those are mostly wild catches so after some read ups and with the current success I am now a happy seahorse fanatic these are amazing and lovely creatures you must try to keep
Old 27-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
acedophin
Arofanatic

Actually, it is CITES which make the import troublesome. Are you prepare to pay tens of thousands of dollar just to bring it in? A few local farms I know are able to import it in provided you pay them advance in full. Like buying Reidi Seahorse in bulk, say 100-200pcs. Overseas supplier do not just sell in a pcs or two for exotic species due to paper work. In singapore, as long as you are willing to pay, anything can be imported. But you have to be prepare for casualty upon delivery, you take all the risk.
acedophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
starman.n
Arofanatic

bro, may i know where can u get captive bred ones?
starman.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #6
stephly30
Dragon

Oic bro...then all the best for your finding a pigmy seahorse...I did kept n bread them before bro...,mine is reidi seahorse...but the young always no luck in rising them...what abt you...?did you manage to rise the young...?
stephly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
k9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman.n View Post
bro, may i know where can u get captive bred ones?
Bro few weeks ago aquamarin in paya labar got go see!! Go check it out soon cus the last time I went to get one more pair still got less than 30 pcs only. My first pair coming to one month doing well now
Old 30-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #8
k9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephly30 View Post
Oic bro...then all the best for your finding a pigmy seahorse...I did kept n bread them before bro...,mine is reidi seahorse...but the young always no luck in rising them...what abt you...?did you manage to rise the young...?
Bro my captive bred SH I bought are still young only about 3.5" only. U must have had good experience in keeping SH than. Btw I haven't kept reidi I have the more common hippocampus kuda as they are bred in normal condition now they are doing well(feed on frozen mysis straight away) in my v inexpensive set up wo chiller and skimmer do u mind sharing how is the set up when u have them and did they survive long?

Seahorse fries are best keep in Kreisel tanks set up and feed live cultivated food sorces preferably copepods than newly hatch brime shrimps. These are not from personal experience so correct me if I'm wrong it's from researches from the net. Btw r ur reidi wild caught?

I'm kinda disliking the idea to purchase wild SH knowing that some of the species are close to being endangered. Wild caughts dun seems to do well in captivity either with most starving themselves to deathit has happening to my initial first pair of SH bought in lfs which is wild caught. So pros said it's the way my condition is for them but I argue that I'm not a pro and I'm not a high budget marine reefer who can afford good equipments. But it proves that u dun need alot if u buy sturdy and well adapted SH which is tank bred. At the same time u enjoy keeping them and not risking at reducing their numbers in the wild that is when u r a true lover of SH do u agree??
Old 30-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
k9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedophin View Post
Actually, it is CITES which make the import troublesome. Are you prepare to pay tens of thousands of dollar just to bring it in? A few local farms I know are able to import it in provided you pay them advance in full. Like buying Reidi Seahorse in bulk, say 100-200pcs. Overseas supplier do not just sell in a pcs or two for exotic species due to paper work. In singapore, as long as you are willing to pay, anything can be imported. But you have to be prepare for casualty upon delivery, you take all the risk.
Bro I suppose it's the fault of no organizations. It's the ppl who caused their declining numbers. I'm only willing to buy tank bred SH now due to the awareness so I urge the rest to do so as well. I doubt any technology is better than nature's way of keeping them in the wild so I rather not own them than think they can survive if I have the pricest chiller skimmers and filtration methods. I'll just be glad to have a few more common tank bred ones swimming around in my little tank. Tks bro for the info
Old 03-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #10
FuEl

I suppose you are referring to Hippocampus zosterae?

Seahorsesource.com has them but I have checked before, they do not ship overseas.