Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
12bucklemyshoe

Default Advise needed.

Hi there. i have a 2x1x1 tank. with about 4" ray pup and a suckerfish. theres also fine sand in the tank. i was wondering which filter is good for me? OHF? or canisters? your feedback is much appreciated. thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #2
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

well bro, firstly that tank not gonna last u long. Rather u get at least a 422 n a 4ft OHF now den change later to save the time n energy of cycling the tank. Another point is the sucker may pose a threat to the ray as mentioned in many threads in the forum, but not to mention, not all suckers suck on the ray as wad some bros here experienced. For me i would use an OHF and use a air pump to keep bubbles in the tank.

Juz my 2 cents
S2whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
nid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bucklemyshoe View Post
Hi there. i have a 2x1x1 tank. with about 4" ray pup and a suckerfish. theres also fine sand in the tank. i was wondering which filter is good for me? OHF? or canisters? your feedback is much appreciated. thanks!
U should just get a bigger tank. And if urs is a common sucker, sooner or later can say bye bye to ur ray already.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
12bucklemyshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2whiplash View Post
well bro, firstly that tank not gonna last u long. Rather u get at least a 422 n a 4ft OHF now den change later to save the time n energy of cycling the tank. Another point is the sucker may pose a threat to the ray as mentioned in many threads in the forum, but not to mention, not all suckers suck on the ray as wad some bros here experienced. For me i would use an OHF and use a air pump to keep bubbles in the tank.

Juz my 2 cents
Yup. I do know that my tank is quite small and wont last me long. For the ohf, what type of ohf is good? Im kinda new here so im not really sure. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
12bucklemyshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nid View Post
U should just get a bigger tank. And if urs is a common sucker, sooner or later can say bye bye to ur ray already.
What?! Bye bye to my ray?!? Damn... Thx for the tips bro. Guess i have to let go off my suckerfish though it has nt been attacking my ray all this while. Much appreciated for this valuable tip!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
troutsalmonlove
Dragon

It's depends on the character/behavior of the fish.. I would recommend mr.aqua ohf as it is stackable (although there are other brands out there.) I Aldo think your tank is too small for the ray. Sooner or later it will outgrow your tank..
troutsalmonlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

2ft tank with 1 ray and 1 suckerfish, bioload quite low, 1 canister is sufficient to handle.
but 2ft tank is too small for a ray. best u get a tank with at least 2.5ft width. with that kind of tanksize, best filtration will be sump.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
S2whiplash
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bucklemyshoe View Post
Yup. I do know that my tank is quite small and wont last me long. For the ohf, what type of ohf is good? Im kinda new here so im not really sure. Thanks!
Mr aqua OHF is good enough, with about 12 trays or another way is bro issac is to use a sump tank. Both ways are good for filtration. As for the tank wise best to change.
S2whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
12bucklemyshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2whiplash View Post
Mr aqua OHF is good enough, with about 12 trays or another way is bro issac is to use a sump tank. Both ways are good for filtration. As for the tank wise best to change.
Thanks alot fr ur advise. Yup. For the tank, im changing soon. Can help me explain why are there so many stacks for ohf? How many trays are better? And how much does it coast at lfs? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
12bucklemyshoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
2ft tank with 1 ray and 1 suckerfish, bioload quite low, 1 canister is sufficient to handle.
but 2ft tank is too small for a ray. best u get a tank with at least 2.5ft width. with that kind of tanksize, best filtration will be sump.
May i ask what type of canisters would u recommend?